1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-season 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Everyone?

No Worries and Ottomaton like this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Majority.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roby has a rep as a player who is good one year and terrible the next, in a very consistent fashion. I'm not sure how many fans cheering that deal were too aware of him outside of what they saw in his (up) year with the Texans.

According to his history, there is potential for him to become the new whipping boy with a big new contract if his on-again-off-again history continues and he lays an egg next year, similar to the way fans felt about Kareem Jackson early in his career. Hopefully he breaks that cycle next year, but if not, I'll be interested to see what fans think of him in 12 months.

Of course I didnt watch all of his years in Denver, so maybe the Denver fans and media were imagining things.

Nook and Nimo like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I've always thought he should be a #2. He would be a great #2. He's not a reliable shut down in my opinion. I know they have a lot devoted to the CB position but I would have liked to see Logan Ryan in Houston. He and Roby can take turns guarding #1 receivers.

5. Fantasma Negro

#1445 Fantasma Negro, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Watt bros (hosting) game tag show.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Salt. In. The. Wound.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-offseasons-worst-first-barnwell-all-32-teams

^ spoiler alert: Houston is 32...of 32.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

9. conquistador#11

I feel like Anne Coulter right now. Is this graph just the Texans?
    It would be nice to see how others around the league spend on running backs. Way less, I imagine.
    I've always liked my rbs right out of college since I was a kid collecting ActionPacked rookie cards with the 14k fake gold borders.
    There have been cases where spending for a rb in free agency or trade has worked out. ...
    Marshall Faulk for the Rams, Beastmode for Seahawks.. (I'm thinking... help me out)
    Ricky for Miami mmm m...running out. . Natrone means for the Jags, Bus for the steelers.
    All my examples are in the past, an entire different league.

Nimo likes this.
  10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We also have only one high-priced, 2nd contract DB (Roby) with the rest on rookie contracts. The RBs are both on 2nd contracts.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't think I'll be watching that again. That was pretty horrible! I like you JJ, but you can do better than this American Gladiators ripoff.

12. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

QB below everything but ST and TE at >10m total.
    Boy is THAT gonna change soon!

Gonna have to find some bargains somewhere else and stop overpaying average players and scrubs!

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Honestly, I don't like the CBs. I would trade Fuller and pick up Logan Ryan if I could. I was not as impressed with Duke as others here have. Maybe it was because the Texans traded a 3rd round pick for a player that was rumored to be cut or at least benched (and they did the exact same thing with Gareon Conley). I liked Carlos Hyde way more.

Nook likes this.
  14. desihooper

Supporting Member

Duke, Hyde, Conley, and David Johnson were all rumored to be let go before the Texans traded for them. BO'B comes off as too impatient to also be the GM. Rather than risk losing Hyde to competition, "I'll trade for him before he gets cut." Same with Conley and Anderson. I thought it was fools gold thinking getting Duke would be any different than having Lamar since the Texans never seemingly ran the plays you should run when you have an RB like Miller or Duke. Putting an escalator clause on the acquisition was just unreal. Also very much driven by chasing Foreman off the team/roster.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's a minor stretch but we could include Cooks in that list. The Rams were not going to keep Gurley and Cooks. They could have released Cooks instead of (or along with) Gurley. Somehow, the best the Texans could negotiate was a 2nd round pick.

conquistador#11 and desihooper like this.
  16. desihooper

Supporting Member

Yeah, distressed asset and premium price usually don't go hand-in-hand.... at least the Rams paid down his cap hit, so it is really Cooks (4 years/$47.5MM for the Texans (non-guaranteed)) + $21.8MM cap hit in the form of dead money for a 2nd round pick.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Hyde can earn up to $4M on his 1-year deal."

#1457 J.R., May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  18. Fantasma Negro

Back to 400 yard seasons smh

#1458 Fantasma Negro, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

So does this mean the Texns offered less?

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well Carlos won't be "Hyding" anymore when he plays against Houston. He will be out in the open quite often.