1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Fan Interest in the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jan 19, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As mentioned by another poster, I've been asking bartenders to put the Rockets on one of the side TV's for years. It's nothing new. It's not perceived as "event tv", and its not a given Sports Bar TV filler like the Astros games are in season. Astros games are like Sport Clips putting on Sportscenter. They just know its on cause its always on.

So there's "Event Sports TV", and then there is "Filler Sports TV" that is always on.... and then there are the Rockets games in which you have to look for them, and if you aren't a diehard you probably have no idea they are playing on any given night, and the channel isn't an obvious channel like ESPN, but a local network at the end of your channel listing.

I assume it's like that in nearly all cities except maybe towns like OKC, or Salt Lake City that have one team so every Jazz game is "Event Sports TV" to them. Houstonians have lives so I don't blame them that much. I live in Dallas now and I think Houston sports fans are way better fans than Dallas. It could be better for the local Rockets fan experience yes (and this year's team is not all that inspiring TBH), but it could be a hell of alot worse.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. anchel

anchel Member

Neither me. Rockers are boring a.f. Harden ISOs and random 3s, nothing else. Every game.

3. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

The mid range is a white mans game.

Kim likes this.
  4. Garner

Garner Member

We’ve been watching Morey build up to this moment for years. In the most critical time, we get hit with an ownership change forever altering the path this team was destined for.

it’s a Shame, but ultimately what Tilman deserves.
    Can’t wait to watch Morey start over for another unbelievably lucky organization.

Kim likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It was prelims when rockets game was on. 99% of the people probably don't know anyone on the card.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Most fans are casual, come when things are rocking, others like those here are hardcore, but as the team is Meh right now, so is the following.

DD

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. tested911

tested911 Member

I've been watching the Rockets ever since I was 6yr's old. I remember watching them and naming the players to my dad, Sleepy Floyd, Akeem (at the time) Olajuwon, Robert Reid, Ralph S., etc,..... And then it all stopped by the time Harden's 2nd year. Totally respect his scoring and his own particular way of play but for me, it's not like all those other players before. It's too much ISO like the way Allen Iverson used to play w/ a bit of theatrical thrown in.

I still watch the Rockets here and there but I'm just missing a more team-oriented style. Don't get me wrong, I'm still rooting for them and I hope they win the championship every year it's just for my personal taste I wanted a different brand of basketball for this team.

8. andersongo

andersongo Member

Tight-fisted owners don't mix well with fairweather fans.

Kim likes this.
  9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Don’t overthink this... it’s harden and the brand of basketball we have completely catered to him and the belief that we will never win w this “style” of play. The style is boring and his game - while otherworldly offensively - is flat out tedious to watch at times. And make no mistake, other than the ultra diehards, no one believes he can lead this team any further than he already has. Worse, there’s enough evidence to suggest he simply doesn’t care enough to do do what it takes to actually get us there. There are only so many times one can watch harden clumsily ISO for 15 seconds, launch a 30’ three and then give absolutely zero effort defending as his guy sprints past him for an uncontested layup.

Harden has mastered the craft of being one of the most unique, jaw dropping statistical offensive players we have ever seen... but it has come at the expense of team success.

The average fan wants two things when watching sports - to win and to be entertained. This version of the rockets does neither. And the diehards wonder why interest is tepid at best.

blahblehblah likes this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Morey and MDA are at fault. I am bored as well with the one man team approach, but what else to do??? Have Mac, Tucker, House, Capella shoot more??? Not sure that is a very entertaining solution.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

might have something to do with spending a bulk of the marketing budget on china for the past 20 years.

add the chinese design pandering and it's no wonder houstonians are relatively disconnected to the team.

Kim likes this.
  12. How_Sweep_It_Is

There are always prelims. People go to bars to watch PPV events, and if it starts at 7pm it’s gonna be on TV at 7pm.

13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I think every one is getting Rockets fatigue. Turn on the TV for a game, and there's just no variety anymore - it's either Harden goes bananas, or he looks awful, and the resulting product is tough to watch. No surprises, no wondering which player is going to 'go off' due to their match-up, it all starts and ends with Harden. When this happens 82 games a season, it gets tiresome. With GS unraveling, the chip on the shoulder mindset seems to be gone too.

Kim likes this.
  14. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

I still believe and always will. Just a few key trades/additions and lineup changes and we will be back in it.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

At least there was ONE good stretch of the season this year. Seems so long ago.

Well always have the Astros and the Roughnecks.

16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I dont wanna here barkley come thursday man. Good win by rockets thou.

#116 Le$$, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Race & culture does play a role.

18. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

How so?

19. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I love the Rockets. You losers don't deserve them. They're one of the best basketball franchises in the NBA and therefore the world. We have some of the most experimental coaching and managing basketball has ever seen. Shut yer yaps.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Houston only cares when it's playoff time....been like that since I can remember.

HTX Ninja likes this.