1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Wojbomb) Rockets talking to several Eastern conference teams about Capela trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

If there was anyway to make Myles Turner (via 3 team trade with Indy getting Collins and ATL getting Capela) happen...

AND Covington (via FRPs package) happen...

That would take this team to a whole different level. The defense having Cov, PJ, and Myles switching would be unreal.

2. Dash

Dash Member

Capela/Gordon for Collins/Hunter/Huerter

3. riko

riko Member

Myles turner and Covington gives us

Harden
    Russ
    Covington
    Tucker
    Turner

Rivers
    Gordon
    Mclemor
    House
    The big German

I’m assuming nenes contract will be added as additional salary . House if needed be should be thrown into any deal if it means a certain upgrade

The bench needs size but lord of mighty

Covington
    Tucker
    Turner

Forms a beastly like defensive trio upfront

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Gordon cannot be traded

TEXNIFICENT, Rudyc281 and jsilencio like this.
  5. Dash

Dash Member

Nvm forgot Gordon can't be traded, give them McLemore and House instead

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Too tall, gotta go.
    [​IMG]

My basketball ops got cold feet but I'm them we're gonna do this: two first round picks & Capela for Marcus Morris & Ignas Brazdeikis.

izeroi likes this.
  7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Seems like Hartenstein is going to get some solid minutes when MDA decides to put in a Center against team with solid C & PF.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They just need to play Hartenstein.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

No he isn’t an elite shooter. He is a good enough shooter to keep his defender from sagging off him though.

His value is on the defensive end where he is elite. He is long and strong enough to defend 4-5 and agile enough to guard 1-3 on rotations. He has a high IQ and a strong effort guy. Outside of a few stars, he is as good as it gets defensively. He also brings consistent effort and doesn’t really have an Achilles heel defensively.

No guarantee the Rockets can get him. The Sixers want him back and a number of others. However he would make a big difference.

Deuce, joshuaao, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

While I'd like for Hartenstein to get more minutes, will MDA give it? Today's match-up with Zion, thought maybe iHart would play, but he chose small ball and spacing. MDA gambled on the matchup and we got the win. Probably further his conviction down this path. The team had to give lot of effort physically and can it last for 2nd half of season. If a bigger player was in there, would it have yield same result but made the game easier.

If Capela gets traded, and say we get another back 6'7 or 6'8", who can space the floor. Would that player then just get most of Capela's current minutes and Hartenstein still only comes out situationally.

iHart to come out if
    a) a starter is banged up
    b) opponent big/tall front court
    c) garbage time.

For point a and b, these situations have come and gone; still doesn't seem enough.
    a: PJ is still getting overworked. Shoulder. and logging heavy minutes.
    b: Pel played Mount Zion (284 lbs) and Derick Favors (6'9" / 265 lbs). Big front court, choose small ball.

As a young player, iHart be thinking; should i get more thicc? Mabye show I can 3 pt. What should he work on to see the floor.

To MDA, Harty is Oloff. :D
    [​IMG][

DeBeards and roslolian like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think before they trade Capela they need to decide if MDA is staying or going. What if you trade Capela and then turns out MDA is gone and the new coach wants a real center in the game?

If they are keeping MDA then trade Capela for somebody like Covington+filler from a 3rd team. We need a new SF if Tucker is the new center and EG/House/Thabo is the new PF.

All midget team:
    Tucker/Harden/Covington/EG/WB all playing 40 mins a night with House/Bmac/Thabo as the bench.

MDA would def have the best coaching year of his life.

clutchdabear and fattz like this.
  12. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I wouldn't mind Covington but frankly I'd rather have DeAndre Hunter.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

The more reports, the less likely anything significant happens.

14. fattz

fattz Member

MDA is the only person that would go to such “lengths” to hide a player from the trade deadline. I feel that IHart is part of our answer but playing him would hurt Capela’s trade value. I call MDA bluff on IHart.

Remember this: MDA stated not even 2 weeks ago that he can’t play the kid because he isn’t tall enough. He hasn’t been sent to the g league, either.

15. fattz

fattz Member

However , I don’t think he is our head coach next year. He will still be around but not the leader maybe an offensive advisory

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ade-talk-and-a-win-over-Pelicans-15024978.php

Clint Capela did not play again on Sunday. The Rockets went small and it worked. Chances are, however, that he will be the Rockets center again.

That is no longer a certainty. ESPN reported on Sunday that the Rockets have had talks with three Eastern Conference teams about Capela, working toward what would likely have to be a three-team deal to land help on the wing and likely a replacement center.

That is accurate, a person with knowledge of talks said, but they have spoken to way more than three teams and about many more players than just Capela.

The individual familiar with talks called the efforts “business as usual” and “typical Rockets.” Unlike last season, when the Rockets wanted to move Brandon Knight and looked to deal James Ennis III after reaching an agreement to add Iman Shumpert, he said there is no player the Rockets are trying to move, Capela included.

They have spoken about nearly everyone other than James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Eric Gordon (who cannot be dealt), he said.

Another individual with knowledge of the team’s thinking said they are more hesitant to deal Capela and Danuel House Jr. than other players because as much as they view themselves as in a win-now situation, there is a sense that they have to be careful about trading players 25- and 26-years-old, respectively.

Capela, however, is the Rockets highest-paid player after Harden, Westbrook and Gordon and is certain to be the most coveted asset they can offer.

The Rockets do want a range-shooting wing, but the player they would seek would probably not play as a two or three with them as much as a smallball four or five. Their long-rumored interest in Robert Covington is valid and a good indication of what they would want, though it does appear that they don’t have the young assets to land him in a two-team trade.

Teams around the league know this. The Rockets have spoken to almost every team at least once each of the past three days, according to a person with knowledge of talks. It is well known what they like (3-and-D) and what they need (3-and-D length.) To deal Capela to get that, they would have to get a considerable upgrade and a serviceable rim-running center without sacrificing defense.

The Rockets will happily keep playing small, but Capela remains valuable to them. They are not the only ones.

The only safe bet is that they make a move, and not just because they almost always do.

Vivi, JoeBarelyCares and mikol13 like this.
  17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Hope it is k love or Drummond

jb86 likes this.
  18. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Well against NO, Zion is still quite raw to assess how IH would have played against him. Zion showing tremendous flashes of a solid superstar though. When he gains more confidence, I think he will destroy most PF/C. IH probably does not stand a chance.

Coming back to IH though, it is definitely a big maybe what Rockets get in return before the trade deadline and if MDA will give IH any minutes. I personally do not see going small and 3 ball sustainable in the long run and definitely not in the playoffs when game slows down. Against team like Lakers, who will be able to guard Davis? I personally think Rockets should get a solid PF that can rebound, and not necessarily someone that can shoot 3s (although that would be ideal). IF Rockets are able to land someone like this then its certain IH will not get any significant playing time at all. If Rockets are not able to get a solid rebounder then I do not see why it makes any sense to trade Capela.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  19. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Did Hartenstein shrink over night?

20. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

That would be great but is close to 30 million in salary coming in. How do we match that going out?