1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 years from now, where do you see this Rockets team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

With Zion and Ja Morant and Luka Doncic all within our division and all on the come up and with Harden at 35 years old and Westbrook at 36, do you think the Rockets are still competing or will they be in a rebuilding phase? I just don’t see how the Rockets can keep this team as it’s constituted now together. Will they have won a championship? I don’t think they are capable of that currently. They have to rebuild on the fly but Harden and Westbrook are taking more than $80M in cap space alone. Morey might be gone. D’Antoni for sure will be gone. What do the Rockets do?

DeBeards likes this.
  2. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Definitely rebuilding phase. 2017 was our year to win it all.

RKREBORN, Lurch and BleedsRocketRed like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We'll be in rebuild mode in 2024, book it. If not then Morey isn't the GM anymore and we're basically the Nets then they had Garnett and Pierce.

BTW, I wouldn't count on all three of Donic, Morant and Zion being in our division in 5 years either. Star players force their way out of small markets all the time

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Agree with your first point. But I wouldn't count on Donic leaving Dallas. He's succeeding his boyhood hero (Dirk) and he absolutely loves Dallas (his face is EVERYWHERE). Plus, they (Nelson & Cuban) are building a team around him that has an excellent chance of contending for a title. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Zion stay with the Pelicans if they start winning because that's a perfect fit for him - if he can stay healthy.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

whoever hits the local market first w/ patty ferntits dartboards and voodoo dolls gonna be stackin his chips high

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

5 years from now, this will be the new GM of the Rockets, maybe even before that. I'll leave it up to you on what this means for the rockets future

[​IMG]

apollo33, IvanLCPM, Gray_Jay and 2 others like this.
  7. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Fertitta’s son?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

9. blackistan

blackistan Member

We will be a lottery team with no draft picks

alcatrazpsycho and CK Johnson like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Five years is a really long time in basketball.

The Rockets will be a lottery team in five years or a team battling to be .500%.

The Rockets will at most have 1 player currently on the roster still wearing a Rockets jersey.

MDA, Morey and everyone except maybe one or two people in the front office on the basketball side will be gone.

slothy420, malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Being in our division doesn't really matter though. But they are in the West.

Also of course relevant, the Rockets 2024 and 2026 1st round pick basically belong to OKC (top 4 protection).

So even if rebuilding, it will be tough.

This is why so many of us are super confused about the corner DM has painted himself in. They have basically no legit forwards. They overspent on guards. They went ALL-IN on Westbrook - a great player, and obviously a Tilman move, but it either results in a ring or is a huge failure. They didn't re-up their coach. Yet they did re-up EG making him untradeable because of the timing. They can't be in we should suck rebuild mode in 5 years. They also can't really go full rebuild now. Harden's not the "problem", but given the other roster holes, he's not the "answer" unless he gets way better at defense, lowers turnovers and develops legit offensive plans B, C when the stepback doesn't work.

It's a tough spot.

As for predictions, I predict DM not here, MDA not here, still with Harden, still probably making the playoffs but as an 8 seed type as Harden declines, Westbrook has moved on - either as FA or via trade in the last year as the largest expiring contract trade ever, lol. Unfortunately I predict no rings.

Easy, JW86 and KelvinCato13 like this.
  12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

5 time defending champions

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

not really, depends where those picks land

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

if we bottom out next year and in 2024 and get top 4 picks...we keep them

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Will one or more of those people still be on board?

Tilman
    Morey
    Harden
    Westbrook

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Remember when Robert Sarver bought the Phoenix Suns in 2004 and rode a wave of success during the Nash/MDA era? Then things came crashing down 4 years later in 2008 and the franchise hasn't done jack **** since? Yea that's what I'm expecting.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

In a deep dark hole .... Morey gone , Harden gone .... Ferntits Junior as GM .... It will be a sad time in Rockets history.

s3ts likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

P a t i t t a

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Hopefully in Houston.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James will likely be retiring after winning at least one title....here....and, will be celebrated as one of the best ever.

Enjoy the ride in the meantime.

Be.here.now.

There are many twists and turns within a season...yet alone over the rest of Beard's career.

I know it's difficult for some of you to see the forest, for the trees right now.

But, enough with the fatalistic overreaction to this skid.

jcf, Patience, JoeBarelyCares and 2 others like this.