1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Analyzing Roster Balance / Dollar Allocation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Jan 21, 2020.

1. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

The sad part is with his recent play we're probably going to have to include additional assets to unload his contract this summer.

CHI likes this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If we use these numbers to determine who should be traded then we're ****ed because we can't trade EG (because of extension rules) and we can't trade Westbrook (because he's Harden's best buddy)

I still say we should gamble and trade Capela, start Hartenstein for the rest of the season and pray he gets enough experience in time for the playoffs (unlikely because how much a b**** Dantoni is)

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Because Tilman is cheap

CHI likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Actually they waited too long to extend him. It should have happened sooner in the offseason as league rules mandate that contract type isn't able to be traded for 180 days. EG's 180 days expire shortly after the trade deadline.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Nice thread.

Well .... Ferntits pretty much told us that he pushed Morey into the Westbrook deal. We know he doesn't fit the analytic approach.

Aside from Westbrook ... I think it is a Moreyball roster. Replace WB with a comparable 3 or 4 ..... things look substantially different. (Butler is the guy Morey was chasing and would have been a great compliment to Harden and Tucker at SF)

When Ownership gets involved with personnel decisions .... bad things happen.

Gray_Jay, napalm06 and raining threes like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The decision to extend EG isnt confusing - you'd have lost him for nothing and left a huge void just like when Ariza walked.

The confusing part is the timing of it .... by not getting it done by August 5th which was the last day that would leave you a trade window - the day before the deadline.

I believe they waited until August 30 ....

Considering that EG has been talked about in trade rumors for the past 2+ years , you have to wonder if EG forced that late signing so he isn't traded this year. In that case , if you are Morey , your hands are somewhat tied .... sign him or lose him for nothing and no real way to replace him as you are already over the cap.

Gray_Jay and raining threes like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it's a dilemma.

The role players are not talented enough, yet they outdo their contracts.....as Morey has planned.

They have done the job very well.

fattz likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so this is a sign Tilman isnt cheap?
    why dont we hear nothing from anti-tilman brigade about this?

9. WestendMassive

Up there with trading Shane Battier for Hasheem Thabeet

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. Yikes, we knew about WB's struggles but Gordon... such a disappointment this year.

11. omgTHEpotential

Very interesting post, thanks. #FreeHartenstein

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My thoughts as well. Morey has made bad moves in the past (Joey Dorsey?) but you could always see the value calculation behind it. This seems like a good-ole-boy owner wanting to trade analytics for "excitement" - exactly what Fertitta said about the Westbrook trade.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Probably done on purpose, if you think (as I do) that Gordon's performance the last two months of the season and playoffs merited that kind of money AND Gordon's performance goes right into the toilet if he gets stressed about being traded. So, give him his money in such a way that he knows he's not leaving for all of this season, and see if he stays the ~.470/.455/.750, TS 65% guy he was in March and April.

Win Shares is always going to underrate a guard like Gordon because he doesn't rebound. That said, I thought at the time that the extension was a bad idea, and I took a small bit of *hit here for saying such.

I like the OPs logic. I'd just add that WB has dramatically improved this last month, and perhaps that value is more representative of his true value to the franchise as a fully integrated player, than his value over the entire year. Amazing that, as much as we bag on the role players for sucking, they still are largely outplaying their contracts.

EDIT: And I see you came to a similar conclusion about the timing of Gordon's extension in one of your following posts.

BigShasta and Corrosion like this.
  14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Yall acting like EG hasn't been injured for months and PJ's performance doesn't include all his intangibles

BigShasta and HP3 like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Timing is definitely the most confusing part about it.

That said, I'm still somewhat confused by the whole thing. Ariza walked because they wouldn't pay him. If they would have paid him, he wouldn't have walked. Did he get overpaid? yes, to an extent... but he also was never a trade candidate to begin with. It was either overpay slightly or let him walk. And most importantly, he wasn't at a "redundant" position... another reason he wasn't a trade candidate.

EG, at least to me, was the trade asset left after the Westbrook move.

I have to think all things considered, DM was on this train of thought, too. Which is why the extension didn't happen. And he got overruled.

16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I like where Napalms head is at. Good research and adding the RPM is cool too ....

However the only numbers Empty Tills/ Mr. Krabbs cares about is the actual revenue coming in.... how is the Golden Nugget and Landry’s currently doing? Have we lost a lot of Chinese money/sponsors etc... if we research this, that will give a good sense of just how far under the tax he will force Morey to go

BamBam and BigShasta like this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm confused - Harden is in the middle of a clear cold streak but I thought he was doing things this season on par with his production in the past(which was record breaking) - and yet you are telling me that his production is STILL beneath his cost? If that is true then is any max contract guy playing above their production/cost level? Something tells me either the numbers related to production are "off" or I was lied to when told that Harden is one of the most productive players of all time statistically.

18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

100%.
    But at the time we felt pretty good about our team, so Morey figured let’s lock it in and secure Harden Westbrook EG and Capela for the next three years.

CHI likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not necessarily true.

EG's contract puts them at the brink of the tax , not in the tax. Its what they do beyond EG that defines cheap.

Lets see what they do at the deadline. They have the ability to add salary with up to 4 TPE's ranging between 1.5m and 3.6m.
    They can also take on some salary via trade in a 2/1 - 3/1 type deal and then sign players in the buyout market.

Much like last year , they have options to improve the roster by taking on salary - lets see if they actually do that or of they find a way to shed salary and duck the tax again.

20 days between now and the deadline. What they do between now and then will answer the cheap narrative one way or another.

Gray_Jay likes this.