1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons "seriously injured" in car crash

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Josh Smith, Jan 20, 2020.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You are assuming that Parsons has full guarantees for any injury.

The standard Uniform Player Contract has zero guarantees in it wrt injuries. You can terminate a contract for any injury reason. That is the standard language. (The list of things you can't do regardless, thus voiding the guarantees, is different.)

Guarantees are independently negotiated by team/player. Injury protection comes in two flavors -- basketball-related injury, and non basketball-related injury. He very likely has Basketball-related injury coverage, or he would have been cut by now. Non related...maybe not. Or maybe not fully. And Atlanta can have insurance coverage, which Morgan and Morgan might want to fight. Also, M&M could possibly want to say there is a gray area when the player is in route to or from practice....wrt what is basketball-related (work related) and not.

63. Are contracts always guaranteed?

There are only a few specific types of contracts that must be guaranteed. All other guarantees are a matter of individual negotiation between the player and team. In practice, the majority of NBA contracts (especially for established veterans) are fully guaranteed. Non-guaranteed salary is most often used for fringe players (either at the beginning or end of their careers) or for the later years of long-term contracts (often in conjunction with benchmarks that allow the salary to become fully guaranteed over time).

Only a player's base salary can be guaranteed -- not bonuses or incentives. The percentage of base salary that is guaranteed cannot increase from one year to the next (e.g., if 50% of a player's salary is guaranteed one season, then no more than 50% can be guaranteed in any subsequent season of the contract).

There are actually several types of guarantees:

• Lack of skill: A "catch-all" that means the player cannot play well enough to justify remaining on the team.
    • Death: The player dies while under contract.
    • Basketball-related injury: The player cannot render his playing services as a direct result of an injury sustained while playing or practicing for the team.
    • Injury/illness: The player cannot render his playing services as a direct result of any illness or injury, whether or not it was basketball related.
    • Mental disability: The player cannot render his playing services as a direct result of a mental disability.
    Each type of guarantee is independently negotiated

Deckard and Gray_Jay like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

After Parsons anti-Houston remarks it was fun to root against him; but not in this. Hope he recovers fully.

Deckard, Yung-T, MONON and 1 other person like this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you're a believer in karma I have bad news for you. Your lack of empathy here means karma is coming for you.

roslolian, Rashmon, Easy and 3 others like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Like I said in a previous post- Its not for me or you to decide. Its for the cosmos.

Rolls Royce Phantom weight = 5,644 pounds

Ford F-150 supercrew weight = 4,528 - 5,684

Theres not a whole lot of cars, let alone trucks that weigh as much as that Rolls he was driving. On average, the most popular cars weigh 3500 pounds.

My sister was making a left turn in a Camry and got hit in the same area on the opposite side by an Expedition that ran a red light. Her car was in much worse shape. Not saying all accidents are apples to apples, but all she came out with was a seatbelt burn.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So Parsons hasn't been playing. Not disregarding the severity of the accident, however there does seem to be some exaggeration from his lawyers. Whiplash?

I haven't heard that term since eighties's sitcoms episodes about people trying to maximize accident profits

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

His driver door can fully open and the window is in tact, so it's not like he got t boned there. The frame and interior cab has no damage to it. It's on a surface street so lower speeds involved. Outside of a fender bender, this is probably best case scenario in any car crash.

BallSoHarden and donkeypunch like this.
  7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Wow, I did not know that. While the default UPC does not have non-basketball-related injury guarantees, how prevalent are those clauses in non-rookie contracts in practice? Because otherwise, this sets up some perverse incentives, if a team can rid itself of an extended financial obligation if the player suffers a non-basketball-related injury through no fault of their own. I mean, the criminality this would encourage, by fans if not by the team, is obvious to people, right?

So it's conceivable that Parsons could be out a portion of whatever's left on his contract because his injuries were suffered away from team property or a team activity? I would not have guessed that.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That’s a wee bit fantastical. The NFL also does not have injury guarantees, and, unlike NBA, protection commonly doesn’t get negotiated into the contract. We don’t see football players targeted by fans. Come on, man.

If Parsons has full guarantees, then protection against Hawks action (waiving him) is covered. The SI article gives some reasons for lawyering up, independent of that. I just thought I’d point out that we don’t really know his contract guarantees.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The way the door is opened tells you there was a suicide attempt.

10. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

LMAO goes on to explain lol

11. lalala902102001

Concussion = brain damage. I hope it's not more severe than that.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think we found Chandler Parsons's burner account.

It's okay, Chandler. Play up your injuries and keep collecting money for sitting on your butt. Nobody does it better.

BallSoHarden and donkeypunch like this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Get well soon.

It doesn't really look like he got that serious injuries- I mean in comparison to other car accidents and what could have happened. A concussion and a herniated disc.
    If it happened to me I would thank god I got off so lightly.

roslolian and pgabriel like this.
  14. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

Why do you hate me so much!

15. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

16. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

From what it sounds like Chandler had an accident with concussion protocol and whiplash
    and then you bring in the Trial Lawyers and they call it a Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sounds lawyerlicious. Like someone said probably not much of a lawsuit unless the guy
    was working while drunk, but the law firm wants the publicity of representing a well known
    athlete in a car crash lawsuit.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I know nothing about you aside from a couple of posts on this board... but based on those posts... you could definitely be considered a douche dude.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sorry if I missed this, but was Mark Cuban driving the other car?

donkeypunch likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, my rolodex of posts does stem past 12,000. So I can see how you may consider that with cherry picking, especially from this thread with a subject matter such as this, but there is a search feature and your more than welcomed to read my past posts. I dont really care either way.

Thank you for your opinion. It has been noted.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Story sounds fishy to me. With Parsons involved it's possible that money is involved which is why his lawyer put out that statement.

If parsons was seriously injured, is he in the hospital? was he in critical condition? why did the Hawks not say more in their own press release?

BallSoHarden likes this.