1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Fan Interest in the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who are the 5-6? I know Isaiah Hartenstein is legit af. I'm assuming you'd put Harden and Westbrook on that list. Probably PJ, Clint and E-Go? That's a definite six.

2. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Sometimes I feel like they just don't care out there. More a lack of effort than a boring style

3. Section123row16seat1

For the first time my buddy who I have season tickets with

we will be selling and skipping the playoffs unless they make it to the finals finals.

this team is dead on arrival.

4. rockets13champs

I also think it’s cuz the white folk don’t like a sport dominated by black athletes. Houston got some of the most racist people in the country. Baseball has a ton of white stars, and Texans got one of the best white athletes in JJ. Rockets/ Basketball appeal to 3 ethnic groups: Black, Asian, Hispanic. ( Indian is included in Asian)

5. rockets13champs

LA? LA is a basketball town. Same with NY. These cities always talk the sport that’s in season in sports talk radio. LA didn’t have a football team for decades and there still isn’t that many rams/ chargers fans. They have the Toyota center problem for their football stadium.

6. MD_in_Training

I don't think this is a Houston issue. The NBA really isn't thriving in this post-Stern era. When I bring up the NBA to people, 95% of them say they don't watch it. Maybe one or two people would act like they do and throw out some names like Steph Curry or Lebron James, but they know little more than that.
    When your marquee nationally televised games pull <1.5M viewers, there's something wrong.

GotGame15 likes this.
  7. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I look at the Rockets and I see a team that's going to get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the team, and Harden/Westbrook are inconsistent. Right now, the Rockets are averaging 118.6 PPG and Harden is averaging 37.1 PPG. I'd feel better about this team's chances if the Rockets were averaging 118.6 PPG and Harden was averaging 20 to 25 PPG. (Of course, their defense is mediocre too.)

Also, the Rockets just aren't fun to watch, and haven't been fun to watch for the past 7-10 years. I just don't like their style of play. In fact, most of the NBA in general, particularly during the regular season, is largely uninteresting. I'm at a point where I only watch a regular season game if it's a marquee matchup. It's getting harder and harder for me and many others to care. Combine that with the fact that these days, it's VERY easy to quickly find something else enjoyable to do with your time, rather than sit in front of a TV for 2.5 hours watching a boring game where nearly all the players chuck up 3-ptrs left and right. Times have changed, and the league needs to adapt.

Furthermore, the average NBA player (especially a veteran that's already gotten his big contract) today isn't as passionate about the game or winning, compared to the average NBA player 15+ years ago. This shift in mindset was probably inevitable though, simply due to more and more money being poured into the league, bigger contracts, a stronger desire for owners/agents/etc to protect key assets and investments (via load management and other techniques), young people being more entitled and coddled, the death of REAL rivalries, etc. All of that has probably contributed to the erosion of fan interest.

The playoffs are a different story though. People still care about that. I still watch most of the playoff games.

8. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Texas is a 'football' state. If you have lived in and around there why question it?

9. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

What’s there to watch? We sux

crimsonghost likes this.
  10. rockets13champs

Netflix. Atleast we don’t get stressed watching a tv show. Rockets have given me gray hairs in my 20s

11. rockets13champs

As funny as it sounds the most hype rockets fans have ever been was after the Dwight signing. We had the craziest rally legit had the amount of people other cities championship parades have had

12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

It all starts at the top

unlike able cheap owner who sacrificed the present and future of the rockets. If your ownership doesn’t care about winning (only money and selling books)... why should the fans ??

pugsly8422 and Little Bit like this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I mean, Morey and Tilman didn't watch the game last night either and one of them owns the team!

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I have a lack of interest in watching the Rockets. I will always be a Rockets fan, i’ll watch occasionally when i have a chance, but i’m not going to go out of my way to watch them.

I totally get the bar choosing the fight over the game, who really wants to watch the Rockets right now?

Surfguy likes this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

True, because the team itself isn't enough.

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Neither did Mike Dantoni, that is why he doesn't call time outs, sub people in, and use his coachs challenge at the right times.

17. smp

smp Member

I’m close friends with 3 couples from LA. All of them are huge Rams fans. Kept following them when they left LA.

They are bandwagon Lakers fans. They talked a bunch of crap when Ball went to the Lakers. And then again when LeBron signed. But they don’t really watch the games.

18. blackistan

blackistan Member

Well I think everybody knows they are pretenders as they are almost every year. Let’s be honest they’re not winning it this year either.

gumbleton3 likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

well damn

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I haven't watched a full game in a couple of years. I have better things to than be glued to the TV for 2.5 hours watching uninspired basketball. I even find the 5 min highlights hard to watch. Is just a habit for me to come here like a mindless zombie.