1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chance of War with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mtbrays, May 15, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

No I got your point... but what you said isn’t factual... just like it wasn’t factual when the President said the same thing.

As to the larger point, when you play war games you are responsible for the aftermath seen and unforeseen. I don’t care if it is GW invading Afghanistan and Iraq or if it Obama and Trump with a hard on for drones.

2. TheresTheDagger

Risking death, protestors take to the street in Iran chanting "The regime told us our enemy is the US. But actually, our enemy is right here"

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump chose the nuclear option...

Trump was given a 'menu' of options for the Iran strike that included ships, missile facilities, and militia groups
    https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-had-menu-for-iran-strike-but-chose-soleimani-2020-1

B@ffled likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Not surprising considering younger Iranians have been unhappy with the oppressive nature of their leaders for nearly two decades. Let’s hope this doesn’t turn into Syria part too with a lot of dead innocent people and a further power vacuum in the region.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

6. NewRoxFan

So... now that esper admits there was no intel evidence if imminent threat and that it was just based on a belief of trump's and his that something might happen... does the U.S. attack violate the War Powers ACt?

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again I'm going to point out that Trump himself said that a President facing a potentially tough political challenges would engage in war with Iran.

Consider that Iran was an adversary then having funded and armed Iraqi militias and groups like Hezbollah. Gen. Soleimani was the same general then leading Iran's strategy against US interest. He was as much a threat in 2011 as he was in 2020 and Trump's rational is that attacks on Iran would be politically motivated. With any consideration of motives for the assassination of Soleimani this definitely needs to be considered. Especially given the inability to provide definitive proof of imminent attacks and shifting rationales for the attacks.

mdrowe00, RayRay10, Ottomaton and 2 others like this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Trump has won on this one, he needs to stop talking and trying to explain every detail. This administration needs to just take the W and move on. This type of nonsensical lying is what people hate the most about Trump and everyone around him.

B@ffled likes this.
  9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Just checking in here to see if WW3 has started yet? CNN assured me this was happening on Tuesday night.

B@ffled likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

We are still waiting for the wrath of the ferocious Iranians to reign down fire and destruction. But, just as the Iraqi military was touted by the Democrat left media as this regional leviathan that we would do well not to tussle with, it was just all sensational 'Fake news'.

The Iranians are relatively good at facilitating terrorist attacks through proxies like Hezbollah and cheering the firing of missiles attacks against unarmed civilians. On their own and out in the open, their military is a paper tiger. Just like the Iraqi military under Saddam Hussein turned out to be.

B@ffled likes this.
  11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

lol. you watch cnn. also, you supported george w bush and the iraq war so your credibility on middle-east conflicts is questionable at best.

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

id be curious to see any quotes from "the democrat left media" that you are referencing.

seems to me like the ones who got it wrong were bush and those who supported invading iraq in the first place. here are a bunch of quotes from people who history has shown to be deadly wrong and straight up liars.

* November 14, 2002 - “The Gulf War in the 1990s lasted five days on the ground. I can’t tell you if the use of force in Iraq today would last five days, or five weeks or five months. But it certainly isn’t going to last any longer than that.” - Then Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

* March 16, 2003 - “I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators.” - U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney to U.S. television network NBC.

* May 1, 2003 - “Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed.” - U.S. President George W. Bush, aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln under a banner declaring “Mission Accomplished”.

* September 14, 2003 - “He (Saddam) had long established ties with al Qaeda.” - Cheney to a conservative think-tank.

* October 3, 2003 - “There’s no question this guy (Saddam) had invested billions in developing illegal programs of weapons of mass destruction and don’t let anybody tell you this was not a significant threat.” - Cheney to political fund-raiser in Iowa.
    • In October 2002, Bush said that Saddam Hussein had a "massive stockpile" of biological weapons. But as CIA Director George Tenet noted in early 2004, the CIA had informed policymakers it had "no specific information on the types or quantities of weapons agent or stockpiles at Baghdad's disposal." The "massive stockpile" was just literally made up.
    • In December 2002, Bush declared, "We do not know whether or not [Iraq] has a nuclear weapon." That was not what the National Intelligence Estimate said. As Tenet would later testify, "We said that Saddam did not have a nuclear weapon and probably would have been unable to make one until 2007 to 2009." Bush did know whether or not Iraq had a nuclear weapon — and lied and said he didn’t know to hype the threat.
    • On CNN in September 2002, Condoleezza Rice claimed that aluminum tubes purchased by Iraq were "only really suited for nuclear weapons programs." This was precisely the opposite of what nuclear experts at the Energy Department were saying; they argue that not only was it very possible the tubes were for nonnuclear purposes but that it was very likely they were too. Even more dire assessments about the tubes from other agencies were exaggerated by administration officials — and in any case, the claim that they’re "only really suited" for nuclear weapons is just false.
    • On numerous occasions, Dick Cheney cited a report that 9/11 conspirator Mohammed Atta had met in Prague with an Iraqi intelligence officer. He said this after the CIA and FBI concluded that this meeting never took place.
    • More generally on the question of Iraq and al-Qaeda, on September 18, 2001, Rice received a memo summarizing intelligence on the relationship, which concluded there was little evidence of links. Nonetheless Bush continued to claim that Hussein was "a threat because he’s dealing with al-Qaeda" more than a year later.
    • In August 2002, Dick Cheney declared, "Simply stated, there's no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction." But as Corn notes, at that time there was "no confirmed intelligence at this point establishing that Saddam had revived a major WMD operation." Gen. Anthony Zinni, who had heard the same intelligence and attended Cheney’s speech, would later say in a documentary, "It was a total shock. I couldn't believe the vice president was saying this, you know? In doing work with the CIA on Iraq WMD, through all the briefings I heard at Langley, I never saw one piece of credible evidence that there was an ongoing program."

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, see Germany WWI/WWII.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Are you really this vapid? Iran is hell bent on a nuke at this point, and they will get one soon. Trump says he’ll never let that happen but how else without a war.

don’t worry, the second they get a nuke he’ll bend over like he is to Kim right now. This administration and it’s sheep are dangerous

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It genuinely surprises me that people still try and dialog with bigtexxx.

If he hadn't been around for so long he would be my number one candidate for an AI. I'm not sure his posts here pass the Turing test, they so formulaicaly regurgitate the most partisan Republican talking points. It is possible at some point in the last decade the real bigtexxx retired and trained an AI to seamlessly continue his work. Nobody would notice.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I've been curious about this myself. I've wondered if when he initially started posting he did engage and there was some back and forth. And once he was outnumbered he pulled back and engaged less, but started posted provocatively. You guys do realize it's challenging being so outnumbered on this board.

But I will say I've seen more intelligent (and equally dumb), thoughtful debate and discussion on this board than anywhere on reddit. I'm amazed that the Rocket's forum produces this type of community. Even before I started actively posting lately , I still would read the D&D dating back to 9/11. I go to the Games & Roster forum, mainly in the off season, waiting on Cyber or back in the day Doc Rocket and Popeye. It's a strong political forum and I'm B@ffled at how uneven the political sides are. It's always been a left leaning board. I assume because of the international influence due to Yao and also because the board is run out of Austin.

Edit: off topic but GO TEXANS. Biggest game in franchise history. (yeah wrong forum but we can all get behind that)

Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So the USA does a perfect surgical strike on a military target caught totally off guard and has boots on ground immediately after for verification and intelligence gathering.

Iran responds with

[​IMG]

gains nothing military, no enemy causalities, but manages to prove to the world their complete incompetence by shooting down an airline carrier full of Iranians ending any pro government sentiment the assassination might have provided.

B@ffled likes this.
  18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

AI? Laughable. I used to have a lot more time to share my thoughts, but frankly it's not my top priority now, and the political discussion has really deteriorated with the likes of LosPollos, DaDakota, dobro, and SweetLou dominating the posts. Low quality posters of poor intellect. When someone shares a conservative view, here comes the "liberal pile-on gang" to call them names and try to run over them with nonsense posted en masse. The board skews extremely liberal and is not too welcoming of opposing views.

I'll still share a few thoughts here and there, but I've migrated most of my posts to another board, and continuing to live a life of excellence.

MojoMan and B@ffled like this.
  19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I’m not a liberal. Being against war , an idiot president making rash decisions shouldn’t be anything but the norm

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm watching the news and they are showing the damage to the Al Assad Airbase from the Iranian missiles. From what they are showing it looks like the Iranian missiles did hit on target including sleeping quarters for US troops. According to some officials on scene Iran wasn't deliberately missing but did hit targets that potentially could've led to many casualties. What saved lives was advance warning which reports are Iran gave. The missile strikes on Iraqi bases are looking a lot less like Iranian incompetence and more like a calculated show of strength.

RayRay10 likes this.