1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Iran thought to have shot down Ukrainian 737 by mistake

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HTM, Jan 9, 2020.

1. HTM

HTM Member

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/politics/is-iran-ukraine-plane/index.html

The US increasingly believes that Iran mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian airliner on Wednesday, according to multiple US officials. The working theory is based on continuing analysis of data from satellites, radar and electronic data collected routinely by US military and intelligence.

As someone who hates flying and is somewhat interested in fatal air disasters I thought this might deserve it's own thread.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised. Given the timing of it and how quick Iran was to blame mechanical issues, it seemed a bit suspicious. I can understand them not handing the black box to Boeing in the current environment, but I hope they are transparent about what happened (in which I guess I'm implicitly assuming they didn't do it on purpose).

Yung-T and Surfguy like this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, I can't imagine why they would want to shoot down an airliner full of mostly Iranians and Ukrainians but I suppose there could be a reason we don't know about.

More then likely it was a mistake associated with the heightened tensions in the region.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sounds like a repeat of MH17 that was shot down by mistake by Russian-backed rebels. These incompetent scumbags can’t tell the difference between civilian and military aircraft.

At least with Iran they have a f***ing Air Force. You would think they would at least scramble fighters and have them confirm the target before authorizing the strike.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Collateral damage of the Trump/Iran war. Damn, that’s sad.

6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Ha! I called it in another thread if that's really true. Then again, it wasn't a tough conclusion.

I have this idea in my head because I love a good conspiracy theory: It feels like there is a deal or something in place between the Trump admin and Iran. The response by Iran seems too good to be true. Iran did say they would attack our allies and that plane was from an allied country go to Canada. I'm pretty sure it was accidental but if Trump was wanting war he could easily use that to escalate things. Because the admin hasn't spoken out hard on this, it all feels a bit too nice and neat. Which is a good thing. I'm not complaining...just making an observation and speculating. The loss of lives on the plane certainly is not a good thing but the de-escalation is. I would not be surprised to see a new nuclear deal in place for Iran that probably rivals Obama's deal and saves face for both Trump and Iran.

7. Nook

Nook Member

As I said before, when you do things like assassinate another countries top military commander, there are unforeseen consequences.

Just yesterday someone was saying how Trump's decision turned out to have no collateral damage or effects.

Now there are nearly 200 people dead that otherwise would not be dead.

Yung-T, RayRay10, gatsby and 3 others like this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sounds like their anti-air took it out

Nook likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just example of the real casualties of war. Innocent people just taking a flight get a missile in the side of their jet because two Autocratic heads of state want to have a big d@ck competition with big boy fireworks.

I assume this was unintentional by Iran. I don’t see a motive here unless this was actually the Russians using the Iran missile launch as a cover in which I would say using the cover of the missile launch would sort of defeat the purpose from Russia sending a message to Ukraine.

If it was intentional by Iran I think it would be extremely provocative on their part and would pull in support from NATO to back Trumps reality show war which works against Iran’s interest.

RayRay10 and peleincubus like this.
  10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

What is sad is that there were a lot of Canadians, actually Iranian Canadians. If a country is blocking officials from getting the Black Box- guilty. If you watch video of it, there must be an explosion to have time to film the last seconds. Iranians should have delay flights, or wait till later in the morning. Iran is not going to look good, if it was Russia's, they'd be crawling back.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sources: Ukrainian Trump/Giuliani associates on board the flight.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

That would have been a good time to ground all flights. But I know it is a different world over there. We probably react to snowfall with more closures than they do missles.

davidio840, Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  13. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I'm looking forward to a ice day to stay home.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why is a plane taking off at the point. Just ground all flights.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Neither Iran nor the USA will look good.

There is ALWAYS unforeseen consequences.

The idea that you can lie about the immediate need to over step congress, assassinate another countries top general in a third nation without there consent....... and walk out without blood on your hands is incredibly arrogant.

There are nearly 200 people dead because of the decisions made by President Trump and the leaders of Iran....... was it worth it? We will not know for years. However the President and Iranian leadership need to ultimately take responsibility for what they did.

RayRay10 and Newlin like this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Absolutely horrible.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ukraine can’t really buy a break.

AroundTheWorld and Ottomaton like this.
  18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

in 1988 the United states shot down a commercial Iranian flight over Iranian airspace that was made up of 290 civilians including 66 children...

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But it will be an afterthought for us because they weren't Americans

mikol13 and dobro1229 like this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You never hear about planes taking off and instantly being on fire. The only one I can think of is the Concord when it ran over metal debris that ruptured the fuel tank. Even a bird strike wouldn’t explain a fire like this. What is more likely is Iran’s defenses were on high alert for a retaliatory attack and they somehow screwed up targeting the airliner as a threat given the timing of it with their attack. And, if satellite evidence is already pointing to this, then the Iranians are hard at work trying to cover it up I’m sure. It is very suspicious. My bet is the truth never sees the light of day versus whatever picture the Iranians want to draw. I would love to be wrong.

AroundTheWorld and Hakeemtheking like this.