1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will majority of low income Americans do with $1000

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

A strawman deserves nothing but another strawman. The mirror is your friend.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's all completely implausible without the VAT. Make no mistake, if Yang wins, it's because people want the dividend and it will get passed.

I don't understand how this applies to what you're responding to or this topic in general.

We don't really care how the money gets spent. If you want to wring hands over the minutiae of how people are spending their money, you're on the wrong topic. The whole concept of UBI is based on minimal oversight and bureaucracy. People who want to make smart purchases will make smart purchases, people who want to make dumb purchases will make dumb purchases. Their fate is in their hands, the important thing is that they have to capital to create economic activity and live more fulfilling lives.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Yes, let's not let a kinder gentler racism get in the way of the raw numbers:

18 million are white = 9% of total white population
    8 million are black = 22% of total black population
    11 million are Hispanic = 19% of total Hispanic population

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Senator

Senator Member

This is a trap ignorant people fall into - that we have to be extreme individuals living in a hyper competitive world ignoring the common good. And why marginalized communities have been so easy to manipulate by the powerful. Today, If you look at major nations around the world - the US, India, Brazil and now the UK, the power of capital is seen as more important than the power of human health. That is how far right leaders came into power, and even though you likely see yourself as a liberal in favor of public services, have fallen prey to the marketing of "humans can do whatever they want to with their own money, and I'll make you more of it". A big picture mentality and a little discipline will improve your life in the long run - as well as the humans and environment around you.

5. Senator

Senator Member

Should those who spend on pointless material items, drugs, junk etc. be eligible for public health services? Free college , health care etc? Money , whether you're rich or poor, is a burden without accountability.

6. Senator

Senator Member

I don't know how to tell you this, but Kenya has absolutely nothing to do with low income America. The real solution is for the $1,000 a month to be rolled out in small town America or places with recent troubles like Flynt.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Buck Turgidson

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We will give them an extra drug money bonus. Oh and free whipped cream if you get on your knees and beg for it.

The yang dream sounds like a child talking to an adult about the world's problems. People don't have money? Why don't we just give everyone money.

The truth that people ignore is that the money will go no where. Money needs scarcity to be valuable and that $1,000 will be the new zero. The new baseline. And it devalues the wages you earn and will suppress any wage growth we would have seen. Talk to some ex soviet state people and they will tell you how this is communist light and when your work isn't worth as much you get less productivity. Yang either knows he is full of it or is truly a moron.

#69 dachuda86, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Yes, I'm concerned with a lot of those topics. I personally think we spend way too much on military. In my opinion, we spend too much across the board, hence the trillions of debt.

I also think its OK to have an opinion that differs from others. I'd much rather have the government figure out ways to create more jobs than just giving out "free money".

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But that will be millions of people pouring their $1000 into the economy. That is great for businesses, job creation, and pushing innovation.

No Worries and DaDakota like this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I love it when I'm right.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

would the federal government have to borrow the money to make these freedom dividend payments?

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Federal Government is borrowing money left and right and spending it on things that will have much less of a direct benefit to our economy. You will need to ask Yang more about the specifics.

15. Nook

Nook Member

That is kind of the point.... that is would spur the economy and create more jobs. Would it work? No way to know without trying but it is supported by a number of experts on both sides of the political spectrum. I personally think it has a better chance of working than the massive corporate tax cuts Trump championed.

If you want the government to “create” more jobs, they can but not sure you really support that type of government overreach. Also we don’t need more jobs as much as jobs that meet the basic needs of Americans. There are lots of jobs, but they are for minimum wage.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Man, some of the posts on this page has brought the faint whiff of racism in this thread into full on stink.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's paid for via a Value Added Tax.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Then it must be a good thing people have developed an appetite for import ****s tariffs