1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Trade Reddick and start Tucker
    Find some competent young arms for RP down on the farm
    Trade Correa for a SP under control and prospects
    Sign Rendon

Next years offense could be even better with a full year or Alvarez, Tucker instead of Reddick, and Rendon instead of Correa who can’t stay healthy and doesn’t give you enough in the playoffs.

2. AstrosRockets1818

Where is all this Rendon money coming from? I don’t understand.

Smacktle, samtaylor, Kornel87 and 9 others like this.
  3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

We should sign Rendon. Re-sign Cole. Then sign Strausburg once he opts out of his contract. Off-season complete.

Smacktle, texans1095, sammy and 4 others like this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Might as well add Will Smith cuz why the hell not....

5. JazzLakerHater

Yep. That’s what’s most impressive about these Astros. Unlike those one and done teams like the Royals and Cubs(those losers in Chicago are still celebrating that championship) the Astros did not stay put after winning the title. They have gotten progressively better. I know they don’t have the chip over the last two years to show for it, but there is no debate the 18 team was superior to the 17 team and the 19 team superior to the 18 team.

I’m excited to see what Lunhow has in store this off season. The goal of this team is to be like the Braves of the 90’s and early 2000’s. Except with more titles.

everyday eddie and lw17 like this.
  6. JazzLakerHater

Yep. That’s what’s most impressive about these Astros. Unlike those one and done teams like the Royals and Cubs(those losers in Chicago are still celebrating that championship) the Astros did not stay put after winning the title. They have gotten progressively better. I know they don’t have the chip over the last two years to show for it, but there is no debate the 18 team was superior to the 17 team and the 19 team superior to the 18 team.

I’m excited to see what Lunhow has in store this off season. The goal of this team is to be like the Braves of the 90’s and early 2000’s. Except with more titles.

lw17 likes this.
  7. HTown2017Champs

Wouldn't surprise me to see Tucker get more 1B practice (he played there in AAA on occasion and in mop-up duty in the bigs) and then receive a few spot starts to relieve Yuli. Hinch loves flexibility, and even said Tucker would get more work there next year. Not expecting him to stick there full time, but he'll get more practice there unless plans have changed.

8. AstrosRockets1818

late to this page.. but yeah these type posts can’t go un-replied to. You’re clueless.

raining threes likes this.
  9. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Surely the obvious move is to simply play Alvarez in LF and play Brantley at DH.

10. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Hey, FWIW Vegas has us as favs at 4-1.....

11. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

and a Scott Boras hat to boot, ****ing hilarious, he gone

Kornel87 and lw17 like this.
  12. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Maybe. We’ll see brother!!! If you think Alvarez just randomly open his mouth on MLB Network postgame show after hitting a huge HR in game 5 telling them that he will be playing outfield next year, you’re as clueless. But we will see. He could have dance around like Cole did when ask about FA next year. Alvarez didn’t even hesitate to say he’s playing OF next year. This lead me to think that there’s a chance that JL open to do something with Brantley.

13. AstrosRockets1818

Even if that were to be true... why wouldn’t they just move Brantley to DH and Alvarez to left? Wait I can’t even do this because it doesn’t make sense!!!

Do you have a video of the interview?

texans1095 likes this.
  14. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I think you can find the video in the World Series: Astros/Nationals topic. I saw the interview live after the game. They were asking him how he has to adapt to being a DH this year and he responded with something to “I will be playing OF next year”.

I get that Brantley can move to DH or even platoon with Alvarez but that make no sense either. If Brantley is on the roster, I rather have him play LF than Alvarez instead of just DH. It just strange to me that Alvarez would say he’s gonna play OF next year.

15. raining threes

Alvarez will be playing alot of LF next year and Brantley will be DHing alot next year because of Brantley's injury history. Man posters have short memories.

texans1095 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Alvarez is a really big guy who will likely also get injured at some point playing the field.

Brantley actually does want to play out there everyday... and doesn't like being taken out at the end of games, but understands why.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that the Astros should fire ... Bill O'Brien.

18. CinematicFusion

1, Qualifying offer for Cole....won't even try to sign him. (Cole had a 4.26 ERA before he came here)
    2. Sign Wheeler and turn him into the next Cole for a fraction of Cole's cost. Wheeler can be great.

Verlander, Grienke, Wheeler, McCullers, Urquidy, ...Maybe Forest Whitley will be ready midway through season.

non-tender Aaron Sanchez,
    Potential trade bait: Or...sign and trade Aron Sanchez (He won't be ready to go for spring training). Other trade options Josh Reddick, Abraham Toro, Roberto Osuna

whiskeyred and jklb like this.
  19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I do think the Astros should sign Wheeler as well and leverage their ability to improve pitchers in their favor. They can do this by signing him with an opt out clause so if he wants to leave early and cash out he can like Strausburg did.

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Or rather not be like the Braves, being 15 years of bark and 1 year of bite lol I think one more WS win would make this era of the Astros a success.