1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I think JL will explore the option to trade Brantley and have Alvarez in LF next year. The guy is way too young to be a full time DH. And 1B won’t be an option. We’ll just have to go thru a growing pain with Alvarez at LF. Problem with that is who will be our DH. Toros? Beer would have been a nice option right now. And honestly, I think Diaz has been a disappointment this year. Not sure if it the injuries or me comparing him to Marwin. Or both.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m sure the Astros like Mancini if the price is right, and Elias certainly knows the Astros’ farm system. A trade for him wouldn’t shock me. I’m only pushing back on the idea of trading Brantley. He was outstanding as an Astro this season and worth every penny of his contract.

jklb and everyday eddie like this.
  3. HTown2017Champs

Agree! I'm saying, if Correa gets hurt again (more like "when" than "if" at this point, ugh), we can do Yuli/Alex/Altuve/Mancini in the IF, and Brantley/Springer/Tucker OF.

4. DVauthrin

Lunhow is not trading Michael Brantley. Everyone needs to stop suggesting it. Alvarez can live with being a full-time DH for another season and have more time to become a competent defender in the outfield.

5. astros123

astros123 Member

GOOD LORD. We just lost Game 7 of the world series and you want to trade Brantley and want TOROS AS OUR DH?

Jesus christ i forgot that this time of the year brings the stupidest out of people.

6. DVauthrin

That makes sense, and Mancini would enter the season as the full-time starter in right field. Tucker would be the 4th outfielder, getting starts against tough righties or when Springer/Brantley need days off.

7. CinematicFusion

AJ Hinch to the Mets? Off season rumors begin

Smacktle, Kornel87 and jklb like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You do realize Kyle Tucker will be in the OF next season? Reddick is the player that will be traded.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

What does his age have to do with whether or not he should be a full time DH? As long as he's getting a full season's worth of at-bats, Alvarez at DH is just fine, in my opinion.

I definitely would not look to part with our most disciplined hitter. Definitely need to hold on to Brantley. If you let Brantley go and move Alvarez to left, you're both hurting your defense, and opening up a hole at DH that you then have to fill.

10. Jeremy Williams

Mancini is a significant downgrade from Brantley.

11. Jeremy Williams

Trading Correa should never be in anyone's dream scenario.

12. Jeremy Williams

With the maturity of Alvarez and the promotion of Tucker, Mancini is a fart in the wind.

13. HTown2017Champs

I like hurting the Yankees (helps the Rays, don't want the worst and most obnoxious fanbase to win the division), restocks our farm, and takes a gamble, but I do not trust Correa to stay healthy. That sucks, but it's reality. I'm not the kind who wants him gone because of his GF, I am just thinking from a business perspective, while acknowledging how unlikely it is.

Anyway, the "dream scenario" mostly referred to the pitching/catching part. Wheeler (we tried to get him, but NYM did not want to trade with us for some reason) should be #1 on our list, he has Cole-like stuff and the potential to be dominant.

14. Jeremy Williams

Any good FA is going to cost us a lot--given our budget constraints.

IMO, this is the offseason we conserve.

Other than mandatory signings, such as a catcher (or 2), I do not expect us to sign many players. We have multiple graduating minor league pitchers that can give us innings. We likely sign 2-3 low cost RPs and fix the catcher situation. Any other moves will be made in-season via trades, esp as we get closer to the AS break.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  15. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I wanted Grandal last year but I think he'll end up being to pricey. Don't think he'll go for another 1 year deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a reunion with Jason Castro. No reason why, just a guess.

Was Jordan Lyles mentioned? We had interest at the deadline

#95 punkoholic, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Mancini is a downgrade but I would not consider it a significant downgrade.

Mancini had more HRs, more RBIs, a batter OPS, and a better OPS+ than Brantley this year. He only had 4 less hits than Brantley and his OBP was only 8 points lower than Brantley's. Obviously, Mancini strikes out a lot more.

I like Brantley, but if I could have Brantley, Peacock, Reddick, and Marisnick or Mancini, Zach Wheeler, and Grandal, like my "wish list" proposed, I will take Mancini, Wheeler, and Grandal.

Now some on here believe Crane is going nuts on the payroll next year. Last year he said at the winter meetings they would get close to the luxury tax but not go over it. I believe we will be over the luxury tax in 2020 considering we already are before signing a single free agent. However, I do not believe Crane is just going to blow past ALL of the luxury tax levels and have a 275 million dollar payroll. That's what keeping Cole or signing a Rendon, or adding Grandal and Wheeler would require if you don't move salary out.

#96 Redfish81, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  17. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

The reason why I brought up exploring a Brantley trade is because Alvarez said in the interview with MLB network after game 5 that he will be playing at one of the OF position next year. And if I remember correctly, AJ did say sometime during the summer that he doesn’t want Alvarez to be a full time DH and want to him to have a position. Otherwise, I don’t think trading Brantley make sense either unless FO really want Alvarez to play LF. Of course Brantley can always play RF if Tucker is not ready.

18. Jeremy Williams

The Crane decision is the biggest of the offseason. Tough place to be--and not just because it's his $.

Our FO hasn't had to face the budget dilemma yet. It will be interesting to see what we do.

19. Astros/Spurs/Cowboys

I'll just throw in the comment that it was upsetting to me how so many turned on Will Harris. The dude was doing great until that call threw him of his game.

Poloshirtbandit, awc713, jklb and 2 others like this.
  20. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member