1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Current Astros FAs:
    [​IMG]

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Reality check... According to roster resource the Astros payroll sits at 219 million in actual dollars and 238 million in luxury tax dollars. They are using MLBtraderumors estimated arbitration numbers in their calculations. This is before we sign one single free agent. They need to move salary to add anyone and they have no chance at keeping Cole without dumping 2 of Reddick, Brantley, or Springer.

Sanchez is going to make nearly 6 million in arbitration and won't be ready for the start of the season. I'm not sure the Astros will pay him that much for the chance he recovers and pitches well after shoulder surgery for half a season.

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I don’t give a damn what the payroll sits at right now. Unless you are Jim Crane (you’re not), you have no idea whether he’s willing to spend into the luxury tax for a season or two until Verlander and Greinke’s contracts fall off the books along with Reddick, Brantley, etc. The Astros don’t have to trade anyone to afford Cole if Jim Crane decides it’s worth a short-term pocketbook hit, and he’s proven he’s not a penny pincher like Tilman Fertitta. Also, if Cole does opt to leave, I guarantee they either sign a quality FA pitcher (Bumgarner, Wheeler, Ryu) or they move prospects to get someone they like. Also, I guarantee the Astros are not trading Brantley or Springer this offseason. No chance.

This I agree with. There is a real possibility the Astros opt to non-tender Sanchez.

#43 DVauthrin, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. CinematicFusion

Verlander never came back after 3 days rest. Never had the slider, off speed stuff wasn't there.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I saw some articles that mentioned he could return in the 2nd half of next season. True that means no set up backs for shoulder rehab that requires really good luck.

The FO's question is whether that chance is worth betting $5 million in arbitration, or spending that money elsewhere.

6. DVauthrin

His fastball command also wasn’t the same in any start after pitching on three days of rest.

H-Town Info and CinematicFusion like this.
  7. DVauthrin

If he’s going to miss half the season, I bet the Astros non-tender him. They can use that five million towards signing someone like Ryu, Wheeler, Bumgarner, Alex Wood, etc, if Cole walks. Or add that to their offer for Cole.

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Makes sense to pass on him. Astros will definitely offer Cole. but all those other options are easily still in the $20 million range. I find it a bit surprising they would offer that amount to that group of SP's.

9. Marteen

Marteen Member

I’m curious what @Nook thinks the Astros do. If I had to guess, they probably won’t do much except sign a catcher(s), re-sign Harris/Smith/another RP, and maybe another budget SP or two. The only player in FA I’d be okay with giving big money to is Strasburg, but I don’t think the Astros will make a big splash this off-season at least.

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Rendon could be a Ranger

texans1095 likes this.
  11. DVauthrin

Alex Wood would not be in the 20 million range. No chance. He’s a lottery ticket, like Sanchez was. Ryu, Bumgarner and Wheeler I can see getting that AAV, but teams are being more frugal in paying veteran FA pitchers.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I wouldn’t bring back any of them. Look at the ages. Might be a good opportunity to inject some youth into the roster.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think Wheeler can get close to that AAV. I would be surprised if Bumgarner got that. He's basically Dallas Keuchel at this point. His season wasn't much better than Miley's even after Miley melted down. No idea what Ryu can get. He had a great season but has injury problems and will be almost 33 at the start of the season.

By the way... I picked Mancini as a trade target because the Astros tried to acquire him at the deadline. They obviously like him.

14. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Yes post #35 but yea Sanchez "could be" 3,4 for us. Hes got the talent

15. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

True, coudlnt locate his FB worth a crap either

CinematicFusion likes this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If the Astros want to bring Sanchez back I would like to see a 1 year deal for 4 million with a team option for 8 million on a second year with a 1 million dollar buyout. You say look, you recover from the injury and then we turn you into an elite pitcher. You will still be a free agent at age 29 like Gerrit Cole. Or.. go somewhere else with your bum shoulder.

Rock Block likes this.
  17. awc713

awc713 Member

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sounds like a farewell without actually saying farewell.

19. HTown2017Champs

Dream scenario

Sign Zack Wheeler and Alex Wood (lotto ticket, hopefully can stay healthy and be Miley 2.0 without the late season collapse)
    Trade Reddick + Toro and Armenteros to CHW for Gavin Sheets (Yuli's heir apparent) and $$$ relief
    Trade/non-tender Peacock and Marisnick (Straw can replace for less $$$)
    Let Maldy walk, sign Grandal, and resign Chirinos for 1 year
    Grandal catches Wood (familiarity), Wheeler, and LMJ. Chirinos is JV's personal catcher and backup Greinke's starts are split.
    Extend Smitty for 1 year. Let Harris, Rondon, and McHugh (THANK YOU!!!!!) walk
    Sign Pomeranz as LHR, as well as either Moreland or Smoak as a cheap veteran LH thumper bat
    Trade Correa to Tampa for Liberatore, Cronenworth (future SS?) and Baz

Springer CF
    Altuve 2B
    Brantley LF
    Bregman SS
    Gurriel 3B
    Alvarez DH
    Moreland/Smoak 1B
    Grandal C
    Tucker RF

Bench: Chirinos, Straw, Cronenworth, Diaz

Rotation: JV, Greinke, Wheeler, LMJ, Wood
    Pen: Osuna, Pressly, James, Urquidy, Smitty, Abreu, Pomeranz, whoever wins the last spot in ST

No, not gonna happen, but just my fantasy

20. Fantasma Negro

I hope that we can somehow get Mookie Betts in right field

jklb likes this.