1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yeah Springer should have been on third. He got caught up in the moment. He’s a guy that leaves it all out there almost every time so I won’t be too hard on him. But the little things are so important and we usually take care of them.

Houstunna likes this.
  2. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

The baseball Gods favor the hungry. The grinders. Both these plays looked pathetic. Even the play play where Brantley misses the catch against the wall. He just gave up after he missed it.

Anyone else see (I believe) that he missed third base when Brantley was called back?

And how the heck is ANY interference play non reviewable?

3. ktex

ktex Member

No guarantees of course when you go to a game, but it sure hurts worse when you spend an enormous amount of money to take your 6 person family to the WS. :(

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well obviously if they win Game 2, they'll be ok. But will they win? This is another tough pitching duel and the Astros offense has frankly sucked for most of the postseason.

This is a must win tonight. Lose this one and this could be another sweep for the Nationals. Win it and it probably at least comes back to MMP(Cole won't pitch this bad in Game 5).

desihooper and Houstunna like this.
  5. AB423

AB423 Member

I had a feeling that the Astros had blew their load off an emotional win with the Yankees. Hopefully they shake it off and come back strong tonight and realize that this Nat’s team ain’t playing around.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Not the first time George didn’t run hard either. I was LIVID over it the last time. This time he wasn’t dogging it at least, but your point is spot on.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nationals put the ball in play much better than the Yankees. New York has 4-5 players pacing 150 K's (that's half the lineup), Nats only have one. It's imperative we limit leadoff runners against a team like them. Get the first out quickly.

phasors28 likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

Think Hinch will trot Cole out on short rest in game 4. He's basically threatened short rest the last three postseasons. If we are down I'd bet on it. He tends to pull the trigger early and has been very aggressive about it. If we are up 2-1 it's a tougher call. But it will still be very tempting. Cole wants it. That's for sure.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Good post, we have lots to point to but ultimately I think we lost due to Soto's clutch hitting.

I think we've seen two Game 1s in a row with a little bit of a hangover effect/overconfidence. And I get that it's hard not to after feeling on top of the world with the ALCS walkoff.

Bregman looking at that 2-1 pitch was a killer. That looked like the pitch to hit.

I'm not so sure about Springer getting to third on the hit to right. He would have had to hold up at second anyway waiting to see if Tucker was going home, and by the time he saw that and took off for third there is a chance he gets picked off at third.

That's two starts now that Cole hasn't had his 'A game', this one obviously worst than the last, but I think it's just so hard to stay that elite all the way through October. Find a way to win G2, then I'm looking for Grienke (who doesn't rely on power pitching) and a fresh Peacock/Urquidy to pick us up.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Awesome game. I’m goin to game 4, hopefully it’s be a sweep opportunity for us. That would be perfect plus it’s a weekend game. We been waiting for a Decade for this moment. All those big game letdown in game 5’s and We finally got over the hump. That was a great game last night but it looked like the Astros were the team that was off for a week. Brantley shouldve. Got a mouthful for the way he played that ball off the wall from the Soto double. If he plays that the right way they could’ve held Rendon at third. Astros taking the Nats for granted

11. count_dough-ku

I think they were also a little cocky after that Yuli double in the 1st. Hell, I would imagine a lot of us thought the game was essentially over at that point given how unhittable Cole has been this season. That lackadaisical strikeout by Correa right after those 2 runs scored shows how arrogant the Astros players got.

everyday eddie and AB423 like this.
  12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The pitch count disparity was 186-127, with the Nationals exhausting pretty much every reliable pitcher they had outside of Strasburg. We played the long game where they scratched and clawed with everything they had to eke out this win. I’m not saying that I’d not rather be in their position, tired and up 1-0, but there’s consolations to be taken from last night.

Astros have lost game 1 of the 2017 World Series and the 2019 ALCS. The Soto praise is sounding awfully similar to “Gleyber Torres is only 22!”. I’m not in any way in panic mode. These Astros have been here before.

everyday eddie and jcee15 like this.
  13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Why are we mad at Springer again? How did he cost the team a run?

I didn't see that as an inside the park home run. Would have been a triple, sure, but we didn't get another hit that inning did we?

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Brantley did have opportunity on that flyball. It was catchable. Not an easy play, but doable. He's only slightly better than Alvarez defensively.

15. count_dough-ku

If this series wears on, it does benefit the Astros as far as the bullpen matchups. Of course that requires us to actually knock their starting pitchers out of the game early.

It's ridiculous to be mad at Springer. He's the only reason we were within a run of tying the game late.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The notion is that the fly ball that was hit later would have been a sac fly...and they would have scored the tying run that way.

I'm not so sure. Tucker was tagging up at 2B anyway.

Nook and Houstunna like this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt this astro team gets swept but good luck.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m not even talking Catching it. I’m saying he could’ve just played it off the wall better and got the ball back into infield quickly . Sometimes the best defense is prevent. Like with What Turner did last in the 8th when he prevent that infield hit from being nothin more than bases advancement. A hit was allowed but He saved a run. Brantley could’ve saved even with a hit if he played that double note professionally.
    I don’t Brantley’s defensive metrics but he played that like he was new to that park or position

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I agree but I’m hoping anyway. A lot of folks aren’t up on the Nats so hopefully we can kee catching teams by surprise. It’s a huge population of ppl who still believe that the Astros have the better starting staff. Now you see all the analysts and baseball media change their tune.

20. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah that's what ppl are missing. While he shouldn't have tagged. He still needed to hold up to see if it dropped so idk if springer could have even gotten to 3rd