1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

5.6%
  2. NO

94.4%
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Peters who was all pro one year netted a 5th. Ramsey and Clowney aren’t the same at all.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Frank Clark who has zero all-pro seasons and currently has ONE sack and three QB hits this season was traded for a 1st and a 2nd.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Clowney - 6, 9.5, 9 sacks
    Clark - 10, 9, 13 sacks

We should have gotten a second at least. The deal with Miami was probably better but Clowney screwed it up for us.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ok now do TFLs and PDs.

Clowney didn't screw it up. The Texans did. I'm a Texans fan but this is on them. They let that deadline pass without signing or trading him. His trade value had to drop once teams knew they couldn't sign him this year. Frank Clark was traded and signed to a long term. They got desperate right before the season began; they should have gotten desperate before the deadline to sign him to a long deal.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Apparently even then he was willing to play one more year here as long as they promised not to trade him. He just didn't want to go to a bad franchise, and as he was not signed, he had that right

7. Mr. Clutch

Traditional box score stats can be misleading. Houston fans who follow the rockets and Astros know this more than anyone

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The value of Clowney will be seen when he signs in the offseason or how LONG it takes for him to sign in the offseason.

He wanted more money the Clark and in the range of Donald/Mack (in guaranteed money). No one is giving him that. Not having double digit sacks season reduces your value (fair or not). Also affected what teams offered the Texans. There was never a #1 pick offered for Clowney, or even a #2. Again, Texans would have jumped on that.

9. CrazyJoeDavola

Link?

Nimo likes this.
  10. vince

vince Member

Thanks for sharing that. I did not know that he was still willing to sign on to play another year. I figured he was going to be MIA after the fiasco.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He would have been tagged again. He would have a salary of around $18-$19 million (if not more) under that tag. The problem is, the Texans didn't want him anymore unless it was under a long term deal at a rate they wanted to pay. They would NEVER promise not to trade him if someone offered a #1.....or maybe a 2 and a 4? He could have gone to the Dolphins for 1 season. And they could have agreed not to tag him after the season....then he would be free.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It was a discussion a few months ago on the radio. I don't remember seeing a tweet about it. They wondering why no one was offering more. The Texans wanted a #1 or even a package with a #2 and another pick. No one offered more than a 3rd (at least was told to the person).

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Stop with i hate o'brien sh. You dont what Clowney wanted

Chill we get it you dont like O'Brien

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

They didn't have to tag him again. He could have played out the year while negotiating for a deal or a trade. Worst case scenario, the Texans get a 3rd compensatory pick if they can't agree. Best case scenario, they either sign him long term or trade him to a team that signs him long term

#694 Nimo, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    red5rocket likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You have to tag him...to trade him. Otherwise, he is a Free Agent.

Contracts end after the Super Bowl. Teams of have exclusive rights until the start of the new league year. Around March 1st. You can't trade a player unless he is under contract or Tagged. You can always remove the tag later........but they would have had to tag him.

16. Mr. Clutch

I would rather have him one more year and let him walk rather than pay another team to take him. The defense is worse with him gone

Nimo likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

Clowney has said what he wanted.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This thread is approaching D-Mo levels.

Clowney is a fine player... but he's unlikely to live up to a big deal, is unlikely to end up on multiple future all-pro first teams, and is extremely unlikely to sniff the HOF.

In my mind, debating endlessly on a player who doesn't fit any of those categories is a giant waste of effort.... much like Clowney's career thus far.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

“Not necessarily [only playing for Seahawks or Eagles],” Clowney noted. “Miami, yeah, I didn’t want to go, but [I told the Texans] send me to a team that’s got a chance to win. When I heard about Seattle and Philly, I said, ‘Of course.’ [I want to play with either team] and got guys on both of those teams that I have played with before. So, I would love to play with either one of those teams. So, either one of them worked.”

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/10/seattle-seahawks-eagles-texans-jadeveon-clowney/

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BoB defenders still defending this sht trade.

If u don't want a player u don't wait until the very last min to trade him especially if he's actively tanking his value or being uncooperative.

Take the L and move on. BoB can't be perfect, he done so far pretty solid with the other trades.

red5rocket and Mr. Clutch like this.