1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Texans, here's your new cornerback!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sooty, Sep 16, 2019.

1. csj

csj Member

How convenient that what NFL front offices care about, according to you, agrees with you. No doubt you have inside information on that. I suppose players can just write in whatever non-quaranteed money they want since front offices don't care.

Objectively JJ cost only 80% of Asomugha, that's a pretty significant difference unless you pretend 35M of the other contract didn't exist. The difference in those contracts paid for more than half of Manning who the Texans also sorely needed. Teams have to manage their cap unless you think front offices don't count non-guaranteed money against the cap too.

Well managed teams want to keep good players and that requires they care about all the money in contracts, not just the money that suits your narrative.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont know where you got 80% of Nnamdis contract from but I do know he only played 2 years in Philly and then got cut. Pretty sure Philly was happy as hell to not have to have paid him the total amount on that contract and their cap hit was significantly less if

No ****, teams have to manage their cap, thats why its a cap. Im far from one to tell anyone how to manage an nfl team salary but guaranteed money reigns supreme and always will.

3. ABforPresident

No way the Rams trade 2 first rounders for someone that isn’t going to sign a long term deal, right? Does this mean Ramsey is likely not a FA option next offseason? Would have loved Peters for a 5th...

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We could do a scratch your back later deal... ala morey.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Only shot i have at our gm is that look at the fking haul for this pro bowler.
    Yes it's at a different position, but giving away clowney for anything less then a 1st round pick, is just r****ded.

BoB defenders love to point at the extra cap space for the offseason, but that helps no one this season.
    This guy could have helped if we had higher value draft picks (via clowney trade), but I don't dislike the trade for Tunsil.

Oh well move on and we will see the trade outcome at the end of the season.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

NO ONE was giving u anything like that for Clowney. Why? Injury history, the money he wants vs. production, and Age: Clowney is a 26 year old FA- Both Ramsey and Tunsil had 2 years (including this year)left on a Rookie contract.

The Texans never received an offer more than a 3rd for Clowney. That’s why Gaine never traded him. How many times do we have to repeat that?

Your O’Brien hate has blinded you to reason.

#166 Mr.Scarface, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  7. CrazyJoeDavola

Link?

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You can look at the Clowney thread. There are mentions what was offered.

Texans would have jumped on a #1 for Clowney.

9. CrazyJoeDavola

Again, link? Otherwise you know zilch and are just speculating that the Seattle offer was the best offer they received.

csj likes this.
  10. csj

csj Member

That says a lot.

Your point about Nnamdi being cut is pure hindsight analysis. No one expected him to fail when there was a bidding war.

So you know there's a cap, you just have no idea that non-quaranteed money affects it. Hopefully others will take that into account next time they consider whether your opinion is worth their time.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, I never claimed to be a cap guru. And my op was saying that Joseph didnt come cheap, just because he came cheaper than Nnamdi doesnt mean he came cheap. He was still a top paid defensive player in this league.

Maybe your time is better suited for the d&d or maybe you should go write a book explaining the nuances of the non guaranteed money of the nfl cap. Kirk Cousins would probably be interested in it, so youd have at least one reader.

12. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

That's a crappy response dude. How about you find a link that says the Texans were offered any kind of deal better? They only talked about this all day long on the radio for months, and i not once heard them saying anything about Texans passing up better trade. I heard McClain say that the best they were offered was a third rounder at the draft but he didn't say which team. From the words coming out of the guys who are actually plugged in with sources it sounds like they never got a good offer for him and decided to take what they could get before the season. I have no problem with the trade and i feel like the team in a weird way is better off now. I wish they could have capitalized on his trade value like other teams did but it sounds like he didn't have as much value apparently.

TheFreak likes this.
  13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yawn, Clowney's stats are pedestrian as can be. A third is looking decent atm lmao

TheFreak likes this.
  14. csj

csj Member

Anything other than calling out your ignorance of contract values, right?

Joseph's contract was significantly cheaper than Asomugha's, that's an objective fact.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Are you suggesting they had better offers... but took a lesser one?........

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one knows what was offered but the complication was that he was traded in a year he was tagged. Nobody wanted to deal with a possible one year rental

Tunsil, Ramsey and Mack were all traded with one year extra left on their rookie deals. That's when the Texans should have traded clowney as well if they wanted any value.

Then obrien literally pays Seattle to take him. Unbelievably stupid

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Why would texans tell you they are incompetent? They would spin it in a way that makes BoB did well. Until theres definite proof that no one wanted clowney for higher than a 3rd, its just a bunch of he said she said bs. All i know is a pro bowler like clowney is no way worth only a 3rd rounder, and GM BoB fked up the trade to extract value.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

He's not getting traditional box score stats but he's elite by advanced metrics

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Your love for BoB blinded u. We didnt have to trade Clowney for jack sht. We could rebuild his supposedly damage trade value. Your god didnt want clowney so badly, hes willing to take lower value picks and pay an opposing contending team to take him. U could try to spin your bs about Clowney's trade value supposedly being tanked, but to pay an competing team to take a pro bowler off your team is just batsht asinine.

#179 DatRocketFan, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

There wasn't going to be a good offer once he was on the franchise tag. Too many complications. There might have been one before.

The Texans should have just let him play on the tag here at that point. Mingo is literally a negative contract, and they paid half clowneys salary. Only Martin shows promise as a situational pass rusher