1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018] Houston drivers are getting worse...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Oct 4, 2018.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This morning, some idiot almost caused an accident on the HOV lane no less. Swerved at the last minute to change from the toll lane to the HOV lane. I guess he couldn't remember if he had a passenger or not?

Funny thing is, you're going to get charged a toll if you don't have a passenger no matter which lane you go through. And visa versa. So it really doesn't even matter which lane you choose.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

They are the same people who fight over boarding position in the southwest cattle herd queuing system.
    I AM B12. YOU ARE B18. YOU ARE BEHIND ME!
    Maybe I am just getting older and I don't have energy to be upset at idiots...i just smh and move on.

Something though that's been pissing me off recently is people who change lanes without looking at how fast a car is going in the other lane. see if they are about to pass you up before jumping it front of them. geez. Now I gotta slam on my brakes, change lanes, then change lanes back...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Isn’t HOV lane free? Honestly how can they tell

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I do none of these things yet I scare the f*** out of non-Houston drivers.

I just spent a week in Minnesota and if you think Houston drivers are bad, go up to the Twin Cities and experience thousands of new Somalian immigrant drivers; they are literally new drivers who have no life experience on American roads. Or go to any high-geriatric area in Florida and feel the love of old folks slamming on their breaks or pulling out in front of people for no reason.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

geeze, just put a blowup doll in your passenger seat like a regular person

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ahhh...the two places I spend most of my time in. Main problem in Minnesota isn’t ethnic...it’s the fact drivers have no idea how to zipper merge. In addition, if they see a sign that says right lane closed 5 miles ahead, they immediately get into the left lane. In Florida, it is amazing how much space cars leave between other cars at a stop light.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Watched a guy try to swerve out from behind a bus at a stop today into a wall of rush hour traffic. Luckily he finally looked in time and slammed on his breaks before he hit anyone.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Houston drivers are actually getting better...
    ______

Texas experienced a decrease in the number
    of motor vehicle traffic fatalities. The 2017
    death toll of 3,727 was a decrease of 1.77%
    from the 3,794 deaths recorded in 2016.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Do you think that might be due to cars getting safer?

10. KingCheetah

This is the exact reason along with improved roads -- there are way more cars on the road as well.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We were raised here to be versed in the art of offensive/defensive driving w/manners ... Folks who come here either are assimilated into the Borg and get with the program, or become a problem. With such an influx from all over...exponentially accelerating what's going on.....Toss in road rage w/weapons, the state of perpetual construction, and lack of a transportation system remotely commiserate with our size...and it's a recipe for the disaster we deal with every day out there.

Joshfast, Sajan and Xerobull like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yep...

Plowman likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They take a quick picture as you're going through the toll booth. If you don't have a passenger, you get charged a toll. If it's at a time when it's HOV-only, you get a fine.

That's why I always laugh at the single drivers who go through the HOV lane and think they're beating the system. You're not. Check your bill next month.

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

I always laugh at drivers who tailgate and constantly switch lanes during rush hour. Like good job dickwad, you did all that and me and you ended up at the same spot 5 mins later.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Do infants in car seat or sitting in back count? I don't have any but was wondering if that counts as HOV?

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Exactly. Of course, they count.

What about an Uber driver with a passenger in the back?

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There are shades to this. I've seen C boarders try to board A unsuccessfully and that upsets most everyone. I think the norms are as long as you're within a few numbers, no one gets pissy. I wouldn't be yelling at the B18 cutting me at B12, but I wouldn't stop the B13 guy from yelling at you either. While you may consider caring about the order as too high maintenance, I would argue that it's inconsiderate to cut in Southwest especially when the potential outcome is a 3 hour flight stuck between two fatties (sorry, non-PC, but it happens) when you have an overactive bladder.

Sajan likes this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I have one in the car seat in the back? How are they going to capture that?

19. KingCheetah

Still one of the most dangerous cities to drive in but there are some solid improvements the past two years.
    _______

Houston region on track for fewer roadway deaths in 2018

Driving in the nation’s most dangerous major metro got considerably safer in 2018, a preliminary analysis of crashes shows, and officials are pledging more efforts to reduce roadway risks in the new year.

Harris County, where most crashes in the area occur, and Houston — home to about one-third of fatalities — are each on pace for steep declines even as their populations increase.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...-for-fewer-roadway-deaths-13498909.php?espv=1

20. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

What's up with these dickwads on their phones in the HOV lane? I swear there was an ******* in front of me on the phone the whole way on 59 HOV, and I kid you not must have been 30 cars behind me going 45mpg due to this douche