1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans, you have the NFL'S 2nd highest paid center.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Gray_Jay, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27587004/source-texans-extend-martin-3-years-33m

I'm not sure he's even the best center on his team, and BoB gives him 11 a year. I guess we don't have to worry about what they'll do with all that cap room, if deals like these are an indication.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’m sure he’s a worker bee which apparently is more important than your actual performance.

JamesC, Nook, Houstunna and 4 others like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hard worker, getting better every day Brian. Fun guy to coach. Excited to see what Mike Devlin can do with him.

Nook, MadMax, snowconeman22 and 6 others like this.
  4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Got to keep this line together to protect DW4.

tmoney1101, BigM, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Run blocking was great last night

BigShasta likes this.
  6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I felt really strange. I mean, threads like this are your territory, but I didn't see it mentioned already, and I.D.I.O.T.

It's infuriating: what other teams out there were going to give Nick Martin 3 million a year, nevermind 11?! Why in the f@$k are they bidding against themselves?!

It's not going to ever change until Cal gets fed up and cleans house.

7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I thought Landry Locker was joking when I read his reference to the 5th best center out of four teams gag. Guess not.

I am the furthest thing from a line guru, but some of you might be. Am I wrong in thinking that Fulton played better at Center than Martin this preseason? And if so, is this extension a two fold attempt to: get people to stop b****ing about all of the unused cap space, and a refusal to admit that Martin was a blown 2nd rounder?

I guess we can figure out which guy on the Texans advocated drafting him there.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, the Texans are in a position where they will have to continue to overpay for offensive linemen. Having traded away first and second round picks, they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Do they dare allow their own players become free agents? They have to retain any player that's even close to average. And, they will have to overpay for any upgrades via free agency.

Commodore and Hey Now! like this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

The rushing game was great. Though less Duke off tackle and more Hyde there, would be good. Breath of fresh air seeing them run in that environment, with a new, still gelling O-Line. Extending Martin for that is still GM malpractice.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Man... I don't for one second think the Texans are racist - OK? I DO NOT. At all. They have taken care of DHop; they will take care of DW4.... But, man! Do they like themselves some white boys... And while I know they were working on this extension for awhile and there are a lot of factors, and.... But to extend *this guy* in the immediate aftermath of loudly announcing Jadaveon Clowney was not your type of player.............

#Optics

JamesC, eric.81, txtodd and 1 other person like this.
  11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I might have been in favor of cutting Martin this preseason, and giving the keys to Fulton. That is probably an overreaction, but were there any teams that would've likely given Martin half this salary? I doubt it.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(This is actually a great point.)

13. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Wait. They didnt resign Ben Jones at 3.5 million but give him 11? :(

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

He was going to be a FA in 2020 so I guess they thought they had to overpay and lock him up.
    Maybe they got confused and thought they were signing his Pro Bowl brother Zack?
    Maybe they thought they could lure Zack? Wait, he signed a 6-year extension in 2018.
    Bob O'Brien is a bad head coach and even worse GM. Yeah, let's just go with that.

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

They let Ben Jones go, who's white. Brandon Brooks too, who's not. I doubt it's race, and that whole mess usually goes in the 'Y they extend JJ, but not Clowney tho!?' set of discussions.

They should try to extend Tunsil (also not white) if he's silly enough to let them. Better they lock him in at something crazy now, than let two years of appreciation turn crazy into flat out insane.

16. conquistador#11

Mancz ends up leaving to Green Bay and becomes one of the best in the NFC.

Rockets34Legend, Red.Glare and J.R. like this.
  17. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

O'Brien is going to run this team into the ground

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

Did we just bid against ourselves? $11 mil/year?

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Man. I was going to try to be positive today.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man plans, and BOB laughs.