1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HISD School Ratings: Yes another inner city broken homes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Aug 19, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

I literally just showed you how we spend the 2nd highest amount per pupil in the world for primary and secondary education. It’s just a fact. That is what makes me confident in the claim that we spend enough. We spend more then everyone but the Norwegians.

I listened to the 6:34 clip you’ve linked

Silent_Bob likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The article is far more in depth and discusses the major funding discrepancies between wealthy and poor neighborhoods. We spend the second most but that statement doesn't explain the DISTRIBUTION of those funds. I highly suggest you read the article. Maybe you might come out with a different perspective. You also haven't discussed early childhood education which the US is near the bottom of enrollment compared to other oecd counties. You haven't discussed yet how the US is the most incarcerated nation amongst all oecd countries. You haven't discussed how young teens in poor neighborhoods sometimes have to provide income for such things like their parent's medication because they either are under-insured or aren't insured.

JayGoogle, mdrowe00 and CometsWin like this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Please quantify the level of determination by student and the root causes of education culture. I can't wait to hear this one. Sounds like another dumbass version of the bootstraps argument.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What’s even the fix to the “culture” argument?

We ship all them bad cultured folks off to Mars or something?

If you can’t fix ones “culture and attitude” within the education system, then where can you? The fix to poor “culture” is better education, more money into Americas neglected neighborhoods.

CometsWin and JayGoogle like this.
  5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Just goes to show that at a certain point, more (tax) money isn't the solution.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep, this.

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Hmmmmmmm…...

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

9. dmoneybangbang

As a country but not as HISD.

What we are spending the money on is just as important, as we spend too much on administrative services. We have far too many school districts nationwide.

10. HTM

HTM Member

As I've stated in this thread, I'm happy to agree that the money isn't spent in the best way. The money is being spent though.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trump is working on that.

That's my experience in public schools. But, this isn't a culture argument. My neighbors in Third Ward had jobs to go to, they had money problems. They relied on the public school not just for their child's education, but for child care and in some cases for child nutrition. My neighbors in Meyerland feature many college-educated stay-at-home moms. They have parent volunteers to man every event and even to do work in the school office. The elementary school PTA would raise at least $50k every year to make capital improvements to the school that wouldn't be covered by the school's budget. So, the taxpayer can short-shrift all these schools, and the schools in nice areas will compensate by drawing on their families while those in poor areas just go without.

What looks to some to be a "culture" problem is a reflection of our wider problem of economic inequality. Poorly performing schools is a distress cost of a broken economic model. If we can make reforms to create substantial wage growth and share the wealth the country creates more broadly, many problems will be mitigated including many issues with the schools. It's not a problem for poor people to fix for themselves; it's a problem for powerful people to fix to lessen the exploitation and persecution of the poor.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Greenland

ThatBoyNick and biff17 like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

In the end this is why the "Culture" argument fails.

Unless you are going to force cultural change, which would look a lot like some kind of 1984 state, the argument is pointless.

I also think in general the whole "If you just live your life right..." mess is BS. Some people do and still never make it out of the hole, some people do everything right and still don't get out and find the American Dream. Life isn't that simple and people make mistakes, the government shouldn't account for that, it should just try to make sure that things are fair and just.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

i thought I was on ignore?

You just can't quit me.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

So much this.

16. dmoneybangbang

Seems like a lazy argument that doesn’t even try to solve the issue.

17. dmoneybangbang

But in the context of HISD less money is being spent than the national average...

18. HTM

HTM Member

What is your point? Half of school districts will have less than the national average...

The fact is the United States spends the 2nd most per pupil on elementary and secondary education. Does that money need to be collected and distributed more equitably? Probably. Does that mean that money doesn't exist. No it does exist and it's being used.

19. dmoneybangbang

And are those districts performing above or below the national average.... We know HISD receives less money and performs lower than the average.... So what does that say...

There’s no “probably” about the money needing to be spent more equitably... You can repeat that same general statement over and over but it’s for naught.

It’s like that nonsense about a culture of education... did we have a culture of education throughout the country always? Of course not.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Talking about “bad culture”, let’s get rid of this **** culture to spend ridiculous amounts of unnecessary money on sporting like football. Hisd also has a large gap in their two tier education with the AP students vs regular.

AP students get MUCH better teachers and MUCH better teacher to student ratios from my experience.

Then there’s the problem of administration bloating their paychecks.