1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coming 2 America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

[​IMG]

https://www.becauseofthemwecan.com/...IQQ8kWauUasJu84eBCFBiYhsTZ5-fP6JTWAfz6aPnznng

It’s official, everyone is coming back to star in the sequel for Coming To America.

Deadline and Variety were first to report that Shari Headley and Vanessa Bell Calloway will both be reviving their roles. Headley played Lisa McDowell, the romantic interest of Prince Akeem (Eddie Murphy) and Calloway played Iman Izzi, Prince Akeem’s betrothed bride in the original film. The two round out a long list of original cast members returning for the sequel including, James Earl Jones, Arsenio Hall, Paul Bates and John Amos.

The original film centered around Prince Akeem who traveled to New York to find love before marrying and becoming the rightful heir of Zamunda. The second installation finds Prince Akeem awaiting to be crowned, before he discovers he has a child, and travels back to the U.S. from Zamunda to meet the son he never knew, a witty street hustler named Lavelle.

Also joining the cast are Jermaine Fowler (Sorry To Bother You), KiKi Layne (If Beale Street Could Talk), Leslie Jones (Saturday Night Live), Rapper Rick Ross, and the incomparable Wesley Snipes.

Calloway was the last of the original cast members to close the deal. Murphy is producing the film alongside Kenya Barris (Black-ish). The sequel, now titled Coming 2 America is set to be released in theaters in late 2020.

As the cast is being assembled and the final details are being made, we are also remembering the amazing Madge Sinclair, Queen Aoleon, who died in 1995.

boomboom, MadMax, Blake and 2 others like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

That plot is kind of lame and lazy. Really hoping this is good because Coming to America is one of my all time favorites. Please do it justice!

Jontro and Rocket River like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

dream was still akeem too back then.

[​IMG]

boomboom, biff17 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I never quite understood why the original movie was so popular. But it has a following. Feel like the movie itself was more or less in a trough, and Murphy dug it out somehow. Felt the same about the Golden Child, but I still laugh when he is supposed to chant a song to enter the temple and get the sacred knife, and he instead scratches the chant. Hilarious. I feel like this character and plot will age poorly. He still has an it factor though, for example, I liked him and his character in Tower Heist.

#5 PhiSlammaJamma, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

no way they bring back the original Lisa, she's like what almost 60 now??

7. SuraGotMadHops

If I was in charge, things that I would include in the film: 1) a cameo by Mortimor and Randolph (I know the actors are not alive, but look alike standins or even just a reference); 2) Louie Anderson JUST got promoted to assistant manager at McDowell's (where the BIG bucks start rolling in; 3) Soul Glo is out of business and Darryl washes lettuce at the McDowell's; 4) Semmi and Patrice hookup again; 5) The barber shop guys remain as is, but Cuba Gooding makes a cameo getting his haircut; 6) Randy Watson and his band Sexual Chocolate make an appearance on America's Got Talent, one of the judges say "that boy good!"

boomboom, K mf G, Astrodome and 3 others like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

What’s with all the sequels 10-20 and now even 30+ years later. Definitely not looking forward to this cash grab, but who knows, it might be good.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is one that I just have to ask, "Why?". The story was completed,

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Who cares? If it is even half as good, I will be happy.

boomboom likes this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

Technically, the nostalgia market is strong after about 20 years. I get it. We recapture our youth. And the actors are likely desperate most of the time to rekindle and make some cash. Some movies can flip that magic. So I can see how it all happens, but this one is too dated to work today.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

55...three years younger than Murphy

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yep . . she coming back
    I am concerned about the storyline
    but
    hope it is comical

Rocket River

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Went to IMDB to see when Eddie's last good comedy was and saw that this is getting made as well.

Jontro likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Martin Lutha da Kang...love it.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member

Thanks for reminding me that I still need to see dumb and dumber 2, terminator 3 and revenge of the nerds 2

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good grief! Good heavens! Aren’t there any original ideas in Hollywood anymore? How about the Prince (Murphy) being abducted by aliens who look remarkably human like, but with pointed ears, like Star Trek? The Prince has wild alien sex with a sexy alien chick in zero gravity! That’s what I would like to see Murphy do. He’s got talent, so give him some exciting and funny material. I’d pay to see that. :cool:

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No more sequels. This decade has been dominated by Disney movies (MCU, Star Wars). Otherwise things have been crap.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Didn’t he take Lisa back to Zamunda to get married? Where’s the American kid coming from?

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

In the face, man. In the face.