1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Everyone's weighin in

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

What does everyone want to get back in a trade ideally?

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Anything outside of a 1st rounder or a Pro Bowl OL to begin with is a non-starter IMO.

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Don’t necessarily have to be a pro bowl OL but a top young OL if not pro bowl lineman would be ok as well

gucci888 likes this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I want an "established" LT.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So since he hasn't signed his tender yet, he can't be trade at all? His "rights" can't be traded, with the new team able to franchise or work out a deal with him?

I get that new team wouldn't give up an asset unless they had a deal worked out, just trying to understand the rules.

Seems like a difficult task to trade him. Need a team willing to pay him what he wants. Need a team with assets the Texans want. A day two 2020 draft pick?? Meh. Better than nothing, but is it better than just letting him sit out if that's what he wants to risk - meaning trying to call his bluff? And it might not be a bluff, but still might make sense to call it, as you have to do sometimes in poker.

Even if he sits out this year, Texans can still tag him the following year, right?

So in other words, "you're going to sit out?? Ok, we'll call that bluff. and also call it again next summer. if you want to sit out two years, go ahead." Granted, that'd be a bluff on the Texans side, too, and you'd certainly have relationship damage. Plus we'd be relying on BillyO to accomplish all that.

Seems like the type of thing that you'd love to say "Here you go Washington, you take Jadaveon, we'll take Trent" with Jadaveon agreeing to play on a one year franchise tag esque deal. He won't do that, but your argument would be "look, we don't think you're worth that much, the Redskins definitely might, but they need you to prove it on the field", and if there's a way or it'd be in the rule to make sure he isn't tagged again the following year he can then be a true FA to do what he desires. In other words, he agrees to a one year deal worth say $17.5 million, and if possible in the contract it says Redskins promise not to tag him the next year.

#527 JayZ750, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Texans organization are so inept. The whole concept of value eludes them. If they did not want Clowney, they should have traded him while they had him under control. The bigger issue is that they are missing a golden opportunity to go all-in while Watson is on his rookie contract, while Hopkins is in his prime and Watt is still a great player. They are not spending their capspace and have two majors areas of weakness on the roster.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member

that is who they are.. they dont spend. If they could field the madison marlins they would

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

#530 J.R., Aug 13, 2019
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Texans make me sick to my stomach sometimes with this idiotic approach to running a football team. They always seem to do the dumbest s***. Clowney should have been traded way before this even became an issue.
    We should just face the fact that we will never win anything with this bass- ackwards organization.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya I’m not sure I agree with this assessment. That’s like saying Leveon Bell controlled where he played last year.

#532 gucci888, Aug 13, 2019
    csj and Nimo like this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right! Clowney might want to play for the Colts this year but that probably ain't happening.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Incompetent coaching, incompetent management, incompetent ownership. The driver is asleep at the wheel, and all we have left are prayers to Deshaun Watson to deliver us from evil.

Fulgore, red5rocket and vator like this.
  15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

‘This feels like it is being handled very well’ no one

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don’t understand. They would have had to trade him in 2018. They were not going to do that as they were trying to sign him.

Brian Gain didn’t spend the cap space. One of the reasons he is gone.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Oh stop it. You sound like whining b****, as most you on this board do.

mario_v likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

So who won? Storm or Granato?

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don't know why the Texans trade Clowney at all this year. They can still trade next year's draft capital for an OT, let Clowney play under the franchise tag and trade him in the off-season to get some or all of the draft capital back. There doesn't have to be any correlation for the two moves, unless Clowney is traded for an OT and draft capital. As much as I want Trent Williams, he is not worth it straight up for Clowney. I would trade next years first for him if that is what it takes and take my chances that I can get a decent hall coming back next year even if it doesn't include a first.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Realistic ceiling IMO is two 2nd rounders. More likely a 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and couple of later picks.

It just seems like 1st rd picks are so rarely traded other than on draft day, and when they are it's either for a QB or a flashy team like the Raiders or Cowboys (Amari Cooper). That combined with the money that Clowney is seeking make me think it's impossible to get that for him.

We would likely get a 3rd rd compensation pick if he walks after next season IIRC so that's the bar, obviously you don't accept anything below a 3rd.