1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting on I10

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Aug 8, 2019.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

FFL's can charge whatever they want. Most charge 15-30 bucks for people without CHL's and 10-20 bucks for people with CHL's. My buddy who gets guns pretty much weekly has a guy that only charges him 5 bucks per gun. You definitely have to do a background check every time. Having a CHL makes it faster which is the reason why most place will charge less if you have one. They just have to look you up in the CHL database.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Cool thanks for the info. I’m getting my chl in a couple weeks.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Have you been to the range or is this first time purchase/use? I'm also not questioning reasons for decision.

I've been around them for maybe 30 years and owned them for probably 12+ years. I guess I was asking if you're going to practice some or just do chl? And again not questioning you, or debating, I honestly think everyone should at least know how to handle one. I learned at a young age (7) and my kids all learned around 10. Note I keep everything in a safe etc etc. But I think teaching them at a young age (range and basic) gun rules Helps a lot.

tmoney1101 and donkeypunch like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont think you could change shipping locations even you wanted to switch it to a different pawn shop, since it has been authorized to said FFL dealer. What did you get?

CCity Zero and tmoney1101 like this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Dated a girl a couple years ago with a CHL. She had a purse with a false bottom that she put her gun in. She got in everywhere. Even NRG stadium.

6. tmoney1101

I’ve been around guns sporadically throughout my life. I’ve been hunting and to the range a handful of times with uncles and friends who are much more experienced. I’m a 35 year old man. I’m not making the decision lightly, I’ve put a lot of thought and research into it.

The reason I’ve decided to go ahead with the purchase and requisite training is because I have a daughter now and I’d like to add an extra layer of protection to our lives. I mentioned this earlier in this thread but I’ll be taking all the necessary classes and shooting time I need to until I feel comfortable enough to start carrying on the regular basis. I’m getting my chl early in the process to not only learn from the course but also to just get it out of the way. That doesn’t mean I’m going to start carrying as soon as I get it.

I wasn’t itching to do this. I’m 35 and have never owned my own gun. I’m doing it for my daughter. Although I will say that over the course of doing my extensive research the past few weeks I have become intrigued by the prospect of making it a hobby.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. tmoney1101

I meant if I ordered another one someday. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. The delivery day just had to fall on a day they were closed.

I got an H&K Vp9sk in OD green with a crimson trace laser. I have some Truglo tfx pro sights coming in the mail too. Safety glasses and Walkers ear muffs for the range. I had to order a custom IWB holster from white hat holsters to accommodate the laser.

I get pretty silly with buying crap once I make the decision to go for it. I do a ton of research then just start knocking it out. I like for everything to be in its final form from day one and then I don’t have to think about it anymore.

donkeypunch likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Didn't someone in the thread say they saw the whole thing play out? Sounds like the police need all the information they can get.

I'm a Houston native. Although I haven't lived Houston since 1980, I've visited friends and relatives countless times, and I absolutely hate driving there. The drivers, in general, are by an order of magnitude worse than the average driver in Austin. Not kidding at all, and it's far worse than it was when I was living and driving all over Houston prior to 1980. I had friends in many parts of town (still have some), although most of my relatives were, and still are, in the Southeast Houston, Clear Lake/League City area.

The quality of the drivers has steadily gotten worse. As an example, I can't tell you how many times I've had guys change a lane right into me like I wasn't there, and I use running lights. I used to honk and shoot them the finger when it happened, but haven't done that in probably 25 years. I realized I was taking my life in my hands, and that of whoever was riding with me. If the driver was that reckless and stupid, the chances were good that he's (and it's almost always a he) high as a kite. Either drunk or stoned out of his gourd, and very likely with a pistol in his glove box.

It's one of the reasons I'd never live in Houston again. I still love the city, and a ton of people there, but driving in Houston is beyond crazy. You have to live for years somewhere else and then visit to get a sense of just how bad driving in my hometown is, in my humble opinion.

#88 Deckard, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  9. tmoney1101

@NateNate

Deckard likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You will get the fever. Nice on the H&K btw. Great guns just too wide for my liking.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

I've never owned a gun and never plan to do so, and I've shot guns plenty of times, including a fully-automatic. But I do believe in gun rights for protection from the Government, and should the proverbial **** hit the fan my brother has a 100 acre farm with an arsenal.

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Ok. You had it sent to your FFL. I'm completely familiar with the process. Make sure you practice a lot with the same grain practice round as you plan to shoot in a defense round. I may have missed it, but what did you pick up?

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Iirc, it is now called a license to carry.

14. tmoney1101

Yep should be in tomorrow. HK vp9sk. I described it a little bit in a few posts above this one.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

yeah, pretty soon he's going to have a paticular set of skills that will make him a nightmare.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh man, sorry on my post I was just curious on plan for chl/training, I definitely agree with you and can understand for both personal and family safety. I'm going to finally get my chl too and I've been going back and forth on it forever because of the responsibility (I also never questioned people that had one/wanted one). Anyway, I definitely see reasoning and I think you should do it (not that you needed my approval, haha).

Hobby aspect can get expensive but it's definitely something that can be done for sure and is good practice. Also, I'd be a hypocrite if I told you "no, don't do that", as I mentioned I've owned them for 12+ years now. The best recommendation is just teaching kids at a young age the rules and obviously always keep them away/locked up unless carrying/cleaning or at the range etc. I think what's sad is irresponsible owners just leaving it on the table in the open. And from your post I know that's not going to be the case.

And I also agree on your thought process, like you never know when somethings going to happen, and while it might not help, it's better to have the option. I mean obviously I don't want to be in that situation (and I don't think any person would), I also have had to unfortunately explain it to some guys that think they'll be the hero (like if you were in the wrong situation/front etc I mean there's nothing you can do). But man, if I was further back and no where to get family to safety I'd sure as hell rather have the option than not.

I mean I can't imagine what it'd be like knowing you're basically trapped with your family and nowhere to go. Screw that.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I personally disagree. Austin drivers are the worst I've seen. Half are pricks and the other half have their head in their asses. Houston traffic is only bad because of the number of cars and how far everything is. The drivers are pretty decent. Just my opinion though.

bobloblaw likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Yall just stay in Houston, or Austin, or whatever city you're in.

Thanks.

rockbox likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I not going to argue with you. My inclination is to say you're crazy if you think Austin's drivers are worse, but it isn't worth an argument.

Sajan likes this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yup, you definitely need to live elsewhere for a while to see how bad houston drivers are. Just total moronic activity all around. Commute to work is a game to me now. How to dodge and avoid the stupidity that's happening around me....
    [​IMG]