1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gubernatorial Candidate refuses to allow female reporter to interview him alone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Riz, Jul 11, 2019.

?

[Read post BEFORE voting] CF dudes, Where do you stand?

1. Completely Agree with Him

2. Partially Agree with Him

3. Completely Disagree with Him

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Robert Foster, Mississippi's Gubernatorial Candidate does not want to be put in a position where he is alone with a woman that is not his wife. In this case, it's a female reporter requesting to go on a ride-along with him during his campaign.

He gives 3 reasons:
    1) According to Foster, he and his wife made a marriage vow to not be alone with other people of the opposite sex
    2) Religion
    3) By being alone with the opposite sex, there is an opportunity for the other person to accuse him of sexual assault.

I'm hoping in this discussion, we can put the first 2 reasons aside and mainly focus on the 3rd reason he gave. This concern has obviously been amplified with the "me too" movement. If he gave the last reason as his ONLY reason, where you do you stand?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/politics/larrison-campbell-robert-foster-mississippi-cnntv/index.html

#1 Riz, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What? Mr Foster is crazy. Is that a good enough answer for you?

3. biff17

biff17 Member

Why do we need to put the the 1st to reasons aside?

So show me that things have been amplified since the me too movement.

What data are you basing this on?

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Puritans suck. He's probably diddling children and smoking meth with rent boys when he isn't talking about how virtuous he is.

As much as professional Conservatives hate burqas reflexively, it seems like that is the direction they are heading. They'll probably rebrand them Freedom Hoodies or something when they make them mandatory for women.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hmmm very similar to fundamentalist Muslims.

6. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

With a quick Google search, you'll see that there are numerous articles with various sources on this concern, especially in the workplace. You can search for the data if you want, I'm only pointing out that it's not uncommon.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...the-metoo-era-heres-what-not-to-do-2019-05-20

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...eting-alone-with-them/?utm_term=.cdde226bdb9a

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elleva...let-metoo-make-you-afraid-of-me/#4ea1283e3b59

7. Nook

Nook Member

This is absurd.

This attitude is not that different than what is going on in the Middle East.

Does he and his wife completely lack self control? Are they so untrustworthy that they cannot trust each other when another penis or vagina is around?

Let me guess..... he puts the Book of Revelation above all that Jesus stuff.

This isn't the 1400's and this isn't Yemen.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I agree. This type of thinking leads to gender segregation like you still see in some cultures around the world.

Nook and Deckard like this.
  9. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

The marriage vow thing, I'm not trying to focus on that because that's really between him and his wife, but the fact they gave that vow, is a whole another level of trust issues.

I assume that as a governor, even in Mississippi, he will be working with many women, how will he avoid having one-on-one meetings with them? Have an HR person always present, his potential male assistant present, only have a call or video conference? This is rediculous.

Nook likes this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

Why do I need to find data, you are the one making a claim.

What do you think is not uncommon?

Those articles are only saying they don't feel comfortable not that allegations are rising.

Yes Men should be wary because a lot of them probably are doing and saying some sort by stuff.

I have no doubt some women have taken advantage of the current climate and have used it to settle some personal scores but you act like just being alone with any woman is dangerous.

11. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I never claimed allegations were rising. I am talking about someone taking advantage of the situation if they had malicious intent.

How AM I acting like being with any woman is dangerous? By starting this thread? I believe I've made my view clear in this thread.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mother is the only female I can be alone with.

13. Fantasma Negro

Good, in this climate its best to cover your ass

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The climate of speaking out instead being a silent victim of sexual harassment/abuse?

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

My surprise and shock it's for the state of Mississippi.

Riz and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The GOP really does want some weird handmaids tale state **** in its wet dream fascist autocracy that we are unfortunately far too close to.

Lame. Just lame. Like for real.

You guys are lame dorks.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn right. As a country, we need to get rid of the fool in the White House who is doing everything he can to reject science, not only on climate change, but science in general. He's an idiot. So the country needs to cover its ass and get rid of Mr trump, the dumb ass in chief.

Cover your ass, America! Get rid of Mr trump, Dumb Ass in Chief!

SamFisher and Riz like this.
  18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, it's just illogical.

Either:
    (1) Have no one-on-one interactions other than your wife, because I hate to break it to you, but a dude can accuse you of sexual impropriety.
    (2) Have one-on-one interactions with whomever wants to interview you, like a normal person, and deal with it.

But saying only women can't interview me one-on-one is just some sort of weird anachronism.

AroundTheWorld, Deckard, Nook and 2 others like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Such amazing insecurity and a lack of trust toward 50% of the population should be an easy disqualifier for office.