1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Rockets meeting with Looney on Sunday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 29, 2019.

1. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

2. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

The key to beating the warriors.

RyanB likes this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Hed be a very good capela replacement if we got butler.

ak99999, Lurch, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It doesn't make sense... there's nothing we can offer the Warriors wouldn't match. This will just tie up Houstons cap space for 3 days while other players we could spend our MLE money on get snatched up.

vick and amaru like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Now, this i like.

he's unrestricted.

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Do the Rockets know that Looney will get called for moving screens, over the back, basket interference, push offs for loose balls, and being out of bounds once he adorns a Rockets jersey?

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I find this interesting cause for me there's no way the Rockets use the MLE on Looney if Clint stays.

I wonder if we will trade Capela even without getting Butler at this point. I think a trade like Capela for Smart and pick/s could still help us if we can replace him well (which is something i'm not sure about, fwiw), we would dump few millions in salaries, get some assets back and gain some depth.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Thank goodness the rockets are meeting with much better players than last summer. Guys who actually make sense. Keep em coming!

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Meh he ain't good

Scarface, dmoneybangbang and TheFreak like this.
  10. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

As much as I would LOVE to have Looney on this team for his all-around hustle and perimeter defense I cringe at the thought of him bobbling all those potential Harden/CP3 dishes. Throughout the Finals Looney bobbled mutiple passes down in the paint..very Capela-esque

Kim, vlaurelio, Nook and 2 others like this.
  11. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Looney meeting with his current team’s enemy just to ensure they don’t forget him while chasing Klay and Durant. Nothing to see here.

12. amaru

amaru Member

I like Looney as a player but I'm inclined to agree. I don't see a scenario where Looney walks. Maybe Houston is setting up this meaning in an attempt to get GSW to overpay?

JoeBarelyCares and vlaurelio like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If we are going into FA with a taxpayer MLE, it would be impossible to put the Warriors in an overpay position. The most we could offer is 3/18 which is a good value for Looney.

If we go into FA with a Butler S&T, and we plan on using a full non-taxpayer MLE, we could offer him 4/40 which would be an overpay, but at that point, it seems awfully risky to sign Looney to that instead of going for DJ or Brook or Noel.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

We might be able to offer him the starting C position whereas GSW could look at Cousins for that role again? Also, if we get Jimmy, Looney would be getting dishes from 3 of the better playmakers in the league, assuming Paul's playmaking prowess returns.

rocketexastros likes this.
  15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Umm, the guy was playing with a non-displaced first costal cartilage fracture. Of course he bobbled multiple passes, if anything, it showed his grit. I'm all for him as a replacement for Nene and/or Capela.

16. amaru

amaru Member

Maybe. I thought it was almost a foregone conclusion that Cousins isn't returning. I don't think GSW wants to retain him and I'd guess that Cousins could get more than the minimum from another NBA team.

17. sungjina

sungjina Member

Whether we get him or not, just messing with the Warriors is always a good thing :D

18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

love this.

Tfor3 likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Keep in mind that whether Durant stays or not, he's out for the season, and Klay will be out for a lot of months, their roster as today is:

Damion Jones
    Draymond
    Iguodala/McKinnie
    Klay/Evans
    Curry

They have extended a qo to Cook and Bell, but they're in fact free agents, then they have to decide on what to do with Livingston since he'll be fully guaranteed after the 7th July i think, Boogie should walk...i mean, they really need bodies and a solid player there, considering that Draymond will play minutes at center and that Bell is restricted, i think there's a good chance they'll use their MLE on a guard/forward instead that on Looney, just my guess.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.