1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dahntay Jones proposes Lebron for EG+Capela+Pj Tucker trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hcw128, May 13, 2019.

1. rockets13champs

Lebron got a NTC

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pretty sure he doesn't.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We need to improve, and last year I saw several folks on here scoff at the idea of adding LeBron, saying "we can beat GS without him" and so on and so forth.

4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

my only issue would be defense. an old cp3, bron, and whatever cheap center we could pickup would probably get scored on pretty easily

on the other had a move like that could draw in good players on the cheap. if we had a chance to put another superstar next to harden, we HAVE to do it.

bron will probably still be good for 23/7/6 even without a player like james that would take attention away from him.

5. RocketTheory

RocketTheory Member

We have a flashy player in Paul, Houston need a Gritty Player.. no more of these guys here to take our money an don't play hard

6. BarkleyHater84

That Son of a gun had a chance to sign here! And he declined even taking a meeting! He's not coming here folks. And I know that Dahntay Jones said it, but any time The Express is used as a source it just looks bad.

D-rock likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I would rather go with something like:
    Houston in: Kuzma (making just shy of $2M)
    x
    Lakers in: Capela/Eric Gordon (making approx $28 M combined)

*18/19 season ends, Laker payroll drops to nearly $67 M if they maneuver right.
    Rockets could trade to a team (like the Lakers) while taking back a ham sandwich (or Kuzma $2M sandwich)

Lakers immediately flip Capela with Lonzo Ball/B Ingram/etc for Anthony Davis......parts vice-versa to make it work.

Houston would clear space for Butler as FA. JaVale MeGee type low price center.
    Houston starters: CP3/Harden/Butler/Kuzma (or Tucker)/ MeGee....or run a bunch of CP3/Harden/Butler/Kuzma/PJ

Lakers would have a core of: Eric Gordon/LeBron/Anthony Davis/ money for one more star, plus spare parts around them.

Pelicans: Capela joins Zion/ Lonzo Ball/ Brandon Ingram/ Josh Hart and others.

Everybody wins.

#87 ApacheWarrior, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    thedreamsteam likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Dumping Capela and Gordon won't net us enough cap space to sign a max like Butler.

Paul and Harden already make up for 75M next season, add Tucker and we're at 83M, plus few minimum guys we need to keep and Kuzma, that's 90M, cap space left around 18M.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

could we then get philly to trade butler into our capspace with the first round picks sent back as compensation?

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't think so, i mean, on paper should be doable, you could make the numbers work but (without doing the math) i think it's possible we would have to add more salary to make it work, like Clark and Hartenstein, and at that point we would literally have 5 guys on the roster (now i'm not sure but i think i've read something about a rule to prevent this last season), and i expect the Sixers to ask for Gordon over a couple of future/meh picks anyway in that scenario...which overall doesn't seem to make much sense to me...you basically trade everything (Capela, Gordon, Clark, Hartenstein, picks) to get Butler and Kuzma (when you have already Tucker), when you can get Butler by just moving Gordon and maybe a pick...

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i hate kuzma anyways, was just wondering if such a scenario were possible :D

Vivi likes this.
  12. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Would rather eat **** than have him on the Rockets. Literally, a thick, steaming log on a baguette, washed down with some chunky milk.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, site I use for salaries has CP3/Harden at 77M

Tucker would need to be moved as well.

Nene convinced to retire or moved. He has a Player Option of about $3.8M

Non-guaranteed contracts
    Hartenstein $1.4M
    Clark $1.4M
    Frazier $1.4M

House Qualifying Offer that could be renounced $2M and change.
    ———————————————————————————————
    Houston could be at 77M plus Kuzma $2M (slightly less)
    Salary cap projected to be around $109M. Butler expects a 4 yr/ $141M contract. An average of $35.25 a year.
    Rockets would only be able to offer $30M on the first year of the contract......significant gains thereafter.

Rockets would then fill out the rest of the roster with vet minimums for the most part. Miami Heat model of LeBron-
    Bosh-DWade plus vets/rooks wanting to chase a ring.

Hate to lose Tucker.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's just too much @ApacheWarrior...not worth imo, assuming it's even possible to have down to like 4/5 players on the roster.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, makes me pump the brakes as well.

But the Rockets in essence have from $109M to the luxury tax projection of $132M to fill out the rest of the roster.
    And above. Morey now has permission to exceed the luxury tax since the repeater tax is not a factor this year.

Standard MLE would move up to about $9M

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/02/early-mid-level-bi-annual-projections-for-201920.html

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's a good point, but after you get Butler you have still like 5 players and the MLE, which won't net you more than a solid pick up or a couple of decent bench players...i think all things considered Capela, Clark, Hartenstein and pick/s are still worth more than that, especially considering we can use the MLE (the tax one) even if we keep them.

17. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Do it Morey!!

18. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

All day everyday. We can easily pick up DAJ on the cheap

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Stopped reading after "centre"

20. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

If lebron came to Houston there will be no more morey ball for sure