1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 ClutchFans Mock Draft - Texans 2nd Round

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 15, 2019.

?

Who do you think the Texans pick in addition to Dillard?

1. Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  3. Damien Harris, RB, Alabama

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yodney Cajuste, OT, West Virginia

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S/CB, Florida

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  8. Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  9. David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. Amani Orunwayi, CB, Penn State

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

It looks like ClutchFans has spoken. Andre Dillard, OT, Washington is the 1st round selection of the 2019 draft. Time for the 2nd round. Since the Texans have two picks, we need to pick two players each. We're taking write-in votes too.

The NFL draft is on Thursday, April 25.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hate to be the repetitive type but since Dillard was our 1st pick I'm hoping that we and they would make Layne one of our 2nd picks. Then Edwards.

Nimo likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I went with two CBs because I think Cajuste will be gone.

Justin Layne and Trayvon Mullen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Julian Love is also one I would like but I think he's going to be gone too

#3 red5rocket, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    raining threes and coachbadlee like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

FTR I went with Orunwayi and Damien Harris. I don't necessarily like Orunwayi but I think he is a guy the Texans will be looking at. I don't see them picking two tackles in the 1st 2 rounds. Texans usually want/expect 1st and 2nd rounders to start or at the least compete for a starting role. We've already been told that Henderson is the starter at RT. They might pick another tackle to possibly take over next year but I don't think it'll be in the 1st two rounds. Maybe two corners but I don't think they're quite ready to give up on Colvin just yet. They do need a CB beside Roby and might pick another later to possibly replace Roby next year.

LT: Rookie/Kalil
    LG: Kelemete
    C: Martin
    RG: Fulton
    RT: Henderson
    Swing Tackle: Davenport/Kalil/Rookie
    Swing Guard: Rankin/Mancz

CB1: Rookie/Roby
    CB2: Roby/Joseph
    Slot: Colvin/Calhoun

5. raining threes

Give me round one Dillard

L
    Round two, Isiah Johnson and David Long. The CB position would be set for years and you have your LT of the future.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I like Isaiah Johnson alot but I feel like he's going to drop

7. raining threes

How far?

I would rather get the guys I like a round too early than hope to get him a round later.

Just a philosophy of mine.

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like it’ll be 3rd or 4th round

raining threes likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Anybody for Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State?

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's getting seriously hyped lately, as is the way with the draft - they have to keep cycling through lesser names who are "blowing up" to keep it fresh when there are lulls.

I seriously doubt most people that don't have access to special film sources have seen enough game film to really make a legit evaluation. I certainly haven't. And even if the film was out there, I'm not sure what you can learn from watching him beat up on 245 pound defensive tackles from Eastern West Bum**** State U. The measurable are solid, and the little bit I've seen he looks like an NFL tackle should look, but there is so much more that just isn't visible to a casual observer. It's a little like backup quarterback syndrome, where everybody thinks the backup is better than the starter, just because they haven't seen his flaws in detail as with the starter. Just because you can't see his flaws while he sits on the bench, it doesn't mean he doesn't have any.

The other thing with small school guys is even with all the talent in the world, they haven't been competing against the best. A small school guy who was getting a ton of run at one point was Oshane Ximines, an edge rusher from Old Dominion. Watching the Senior Bowl practices, it was clear that he hadn't been schooled in the game the way big school guys are. One play, he'd look dominant, and the next, he looked like he wasn't even sure what to do. Ximines has a bunch of natural talent, but when you are that good at that level, you just blow the other guy up on physical talent on every play. He's going to have to learn how to beat players who are his equal, and that involves a bunch of learning, and game planning. I think if you draft a small school guy like Howard, you would be foolish to expect that they could step right in and be ready from day one like the stud from the Southeast Conference, who played Alabama, LSU Florida and Georgia every week.

So in short, I won't freak out if they take him, I won't freak out if they don't. I just don't know enough, and I am positive that the Texans have to have more info on him than I do, but I wouldn't take him and depend on him starting on week 1.

BTW, after reading a whole bunch of stuff and then confirming it by watching film, I'd be a little shocked if David Edwards is a second rounder. He's a big dude, and moves well, but he has some serious strength issues. I'm guessing 4th rounder? The guy who comes to mind as a comp is John Theus, who was a 5th rounder in 2016 and recently retired. People were talking about him as a second rounder right up until draft night. He looked great on film on a really quick exam because of legit size and how well he could move and he had a great pedigree as a 5 star recruit. Strength issues are much more difficult to see just on a cursory first impression film exam unless you are looking for it.

#10 Ottomaton, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  11. htownbball

htownbball Member

Anybody up for trading both 2nd round picks to get back into the 1st and get a shot at Greedy?

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I'm ok with guys like Julian Love, Trayvon Mullen, Justin Layne, Isaiah Johnson and/or Amani Orunwayi. All seem like they could be had in the second round. We need all our picks tbh.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

When does this round end?

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sunday night

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Same as my sig - Julian Love CB and Tytus Howard. OT

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m taking love last out of those options

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Understandable. I feel we could luck up and get Isaiah Johnson in the 3rd.

19. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

20. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I'm concerned that there's going to be a general meltdown if the Texans don't select the biggest, tallest, most swole man-press corner to play in their cerebral soft zone blitz scheme.

Bigger for the sake of bigger isnt always better (thank you Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman for the 2002 Expansion Draft lesson).