1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D’Antoni doesn’t know when to call timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 28, 2018.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Does he even have an offense?

I'm so tired of watching these guys literally jack contested 3 after 3 leading to easy fast break baskets. I would have thought they learned after game 7 but they haven't.

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

You cant make adjustments to a plan „just let James do his thing and if you catch a ball shoot it”

PeterKingX and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sometimes you dont have to come up with a plan or adjustment .....just pausing the game changes the momentum..we could of use a flagrant foul last night in the third ...it would have made a world of difference

Fyreball, BamBam, bmelo and 4 others like this.
  4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

MDA is not having fun in coaching...like Eric Gordon...

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. bj3175

bj3175 Member

i LIKE OUR cOACH ALOT BUT HE HAS FLAWS.A coach that really effectively used small ball as a tactic not as a hardcore philosophy was Don Nelson. Nelly was great at making in game adjustments that where key to giving his team the advantage. MDA has to take a page out of his book

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

MDA is not pure

hakeem94 and tinman like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If MDA got a rental car he wouldn’t adjust the mirrors

Fyreball, hakeem94, bj3175 and 3 others like this.
  8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yup, the thought process is they got the best iso scorers, so why run plays...

The rise and fall all falls on the shoulders of players making shots, coaches hands are wiped clean. Terrible.

9. bj3175

bj3175 Member

lol true dat

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

MDA has really done a bad job this season. The players clearly started the season unprepared and lack the mentality they had last year. Us getting big leads reflects the talent we have on the floor, us losing them reflects our poor execution and decision making, which is largely coaching.

Also, the drop in defense from last year is astounding, with a lot of the same players from last year's excellent defense too.

I'm not sure if I want him fired yet, we'll see how the playoffs go. But this roster has under performed all season, and it's looking like a year of Harden's prime wasted.

hakeem94 and thedude077 like this.
  11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't know if I'd go that far. The roster has been plagued with injuries and players who have been sent packing by Morey and Tilman(Ennis, House, MCW, Melo, Nunnally). Not to mention Bzdelik's last minute, temporary retirement to start the season. Hard to get any kind of continuity under those circumstances. The real opportunity to judge D'Antoni's coaching performance will be after the All-Star Break. The roster will be set(aside from maybe House and/or a buyout being added), Capela will be back, CP3 will(hopefully) remain healthy, and the schedule will lighten up a bit. If the team continues to struggle at that point, then there does need to be some heat on the guy.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That's why I said we'll see what happens in the playoffs before I decide anything (not like anyone cares what I think anyway lol). But the beginning of the season was just an embarrassment, and we've had many bad chokes and bad losses where we were clearly the more talented team, even with the injuries we've had.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No argument on the horrible start. And D'Antoni deserves some of the blame for that. The team looked like they were mailing it in already. It was eerily reminiscent of 2015-16. Thankfully they've (mostly) emerged from that funk.

Where I don't blame D'Antoni for the awful start was that he had Ariza and Luc taken away from him and was handed Melo, MCW, and Ennis as replacements. And Ennis immediately got hurt, CP3 got his dumb ass suspended for 2 games, and even Harden had an early season injury. And all this without his defensive assistant coach by his side.

hakeem94 and napalm06 like this.
  14. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

This season has been a choke fest and at least some of it has to do with Dantoni not knowing when to call timeouts. That and we don't have enough depth of talent around Harden. If we are not hitting our threes we are not getting enough rebounds due to not boxing out and in general being undersized. Some of these games at times are hard to watch.

napalm06 likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Can you imagine Mike D'Antoni on a car racing team?

The car would never finish cause he never believes in pit stops. the car would have blown tires.

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I get that he's been a coach for so long that he's seen it all, and that gives him a sort of Zen-like approach to the game, but sometimes you've gotta rekindle the fire in your players and light into them. This team lacks the discipline and fortitude to self-police. They need the coaching staff to ride them about getting back in their defensive assignments, and to stop taking such shitty shots (Gerald Green and Eric Gordon mostly). Also, I don't think there's been a single 3rd quarter this whole year where the team came out with intensity, and looked to step on the throat of the opponent. They just sort of coast until there's about 8 minutes left in the 4th, then try and turn it back on. That might work against a young team like the Kings, but against the Thunder (who are ratcheted up to an 11 usually anyways), you have to bring it right from the get-go. It's frustrating to watch it play out, and watch our coach stand around with his hands in his pockets while the other team goes on a 23-2 run.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was really disappointed in D'Antoni tonight. he was out-timedout by Rick Carlisle in every quarter of the game.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Check out the Nephew thread. Dude memoralized MDAs best timeout of the game.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

I wish he called one at the end of the 4th

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I’ve seen this movie before
    Beavis

snowconeman22 likes this.