1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Why bother with facebook when you can buy them at any one of 30 places on Harwin? Pick up a Rolex while you're there.

King1 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Seconded.

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

They are they come straight from the needle that makes the real ones way cheaper

4. Buck Turgidson

If they're legit then why not just share the link?

Or do you also sell stereo speakers out of the back of your van?

Smacktle, No Worries, King1 and 2 others like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

6. Major

Major Member

How many of those guys have Scott Boras as their agent?

7. Buck Turgidson

Harper, Marwin, Carlos Gonzalez, Gio Gonzalez, Keuchel, Span, Holliday, Moustakas, Wieters, Martin Maldonado, possibly some others of note. I could be wrong about some, it's hard to track down their agent affiliation.

He got well below what was projected for JD Martinez and Arrieta last year when they signed late.

Thought this was interesting:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...r-the-bryce-harper-and-manny-machado-markets/

Shark44 and raining threes like this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I was thinking before you shared this article that a 3-year deal with Harper, with YR4 Option for Player, and YR5 Option for Astros might be one way to structure a contract that gives player and team flexibility and options. We would have to shed some salary, but having his bat in the heart of our line-up with give us the pop we really wanted for next season.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Never been a big Tags fan, but a good writeup on Brantley: https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/michael-brantleys-bat-has-astros-buzzing/c-303743262. Brantley is one of the best pure hitters in the game. His contract may be a steal when it's all said and done. Personally, I think he's in for a monster year in 2019. He's going to fit perfectly in our lineup. I mean, cmon:

Springer
    Bregman
    Altuve
    Correa
    Brantley
    Gurriel
    White
    Reddick
    Churassi

It'll be interesting to see how Hinch structures the lineup (swap Brantley and Correa?), but I'd take that over any lineup in the MLB. We are stacked. Professional hitters across the board. Plus our bench and farm are stupid strong. Honestly, 2019 could be the best Astros team ever. Luhnow is right, the state of the franchise is strong.

Eno Harris wrote about how HOU's biggest need is a 1B. Fangraphs has HOU's 1B situation as the 23rd best in baseball (with Yuli at the helm). Brantley may just be the solution at 1B for HOU. It'll be interesting to see how this season plays out. It sure would be exciting if Tucker forced his way into the OF, pushing Brantley to 1B/DH, and Yuli/White to more reserve roles.

#3610 awc713, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Just face timed McCullers.

Rehab is going well.

12. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Im curious to what on the board think.
    Are we done and taking what we have to camp.
    Or will something happen before or in or durring spring training?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yes

houstonstime, MadMax and NIKEstrad like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It struck me today that the 3 weakest everyday hitters in Houston’s lineup (Reddick, Gurriel, Chirinos) are all players on free agent contracts, 2 of which signed $50M+ contracts. Factor in that Houston’s 2 best position player prospects (Tucker and Alvarez) are already in AAA and project to replace Reddick and Gurriel, and the offense should be absolutely stacked for at least the next 2 seasons. And you never know, maybe Stubbs blossoms into an everyday caliber hitter to replace Chirinos (although I do not expect that).

body slam and awc713 like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I will be very surprised if they make another significant move prior to opening day. They very well could add 1 or 2 NRI relievers to compete with the young guys for the 2 unsettled bullpen spots, especially since they will have 3 40 man roster spots open up as soon as they can place McCullers, Smith, and Martes on the 60 Day IL.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Note from Fangraphs chat yesterday signaling that Tyler White might be due regression:

Jeff Sullivan: Let me first say this about Tyler White — last year, there were 355 players with at least 200 plate appearances. White had the third-biggest gap between his wOBA (.377) and his expected wOBA (.324).

I’m still a believer in White. He may not duplicate last season but a .260/.330/.480 line is what I expect and that’s still a legit middle of the order hitter even on a good team.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Has anyone ever ran in to him in public? I go to top golf out in Katy and have seen him there. He doesn’t look like a professional athlete.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

John Kruk faints

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

CC Sabathia says hey

bobrek likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Over last 2 years including playoffs, White has a better xwOBA than Gurriel, Reddick, Marwin, and Gattis. I'm not expecting White to be a star, but he looks like he can hit MLB pitching well enough to stick in majors.

Snake Diggit likes this.