1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ 2017 World Champion Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marwin is definitely one of the worst about being out of the batter's box in the American League.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They're in a collective slump. They'll come out of it soon and be what they are. What they did the first week and a half is more of the actual Astros than the last week and a half. April 16th is not a time to be concerned. Always sucks to lose a series to the rangers, especially with 2 games in extras and how they lost. I ain't worried, though. They'll recover soon and get back on track.

kaleidosky and tellitlikeitis like this.
  3. conquistador#11

YES! since we basically started very similar to last year. Why change, it worked! (don't take everything so seriously)
    Infact, Julia must eat crickets tonight!

J.R. and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

I sure hope so too. They've looked terrible. Bartolo ******* Colon made us look pedestrian last night. Even with a team slump, HOW?!

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

In a 162 game season, s*** happens.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  6. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

Too often so far though. Too often.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In the first two series, we were 6-1 and looked fine. Then we go play in frozen terrain and we loose that series and the one after (2-4). Now we go to Seattle and Chicago after that and have to play in the 40's again :(

The good news is it looks like the 22nd vs Chicago may be the last cold weather game. Looks warm and toasty after that.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wouldn't surprise me, but that's not what I was commenting on. The poster was saying Marwin gets the worst strike calls of anyone in the league.

9. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

Hell, who knows. The bats might do better in the cold lmao.

10. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I didn't thing the WS hangover was a real thing, but it looks it may be.

Seems like every series this year has had something...Opening Day in Arlington. First homestand and the World Champ hoopla. Frigid temps in MN. This Ranger series is really like the first "normal" series and we came out flat. It happens.

I think we'll be fine. This lineup won't stay cold all season....no reason to panic yet.

11. Bob Barker 007

I will be in Chicago for the game on Saturday. I'm hoping for a miraculous warm up before I get there :(

12. pw1993

pw1993 Member

You misunderstood. Please read my comment again. I said Marwin has an unusually strong tendency to argue ball/strike calls at the plate, and that in many of those cases Statcast (in addition to the 'eye test') shows that Marwin was in the wrong. I suggested the possibility that *some* home plate umpires *might* be getting miffed with Marwin's attitude (hence the statement began with 'I wonder' instead of 'I am certain that...') and responding by tightening the strike zone when he's at bat. My statement did not preclude the possibility that there might be a dozen or more other hitters in MLB who also annoy home plate umpires, some of them even more so than Marwin. I wasn't really sure why you assumed to know so much about how many Astros games versus non-Astros MLB games the posters on this forum watch, but didn't really feel like it merited a response until you wished to press the point. I'm a Pirates fan too and get to see a lot of the ABs by that team and their NL opponents, so while it doesn't give me encyclopedic knowledge of the crankiness level of all MLB hitters, it helps give me context.

Bottom line: Marwin complains about ball/strike calls at the plate more than most hitters, and video review shows he's often complaining when the ump made the right call. Some umps could probably care less but other umps' patience may have worn thin with Marwin. Emphasis on the *may*.

#532 pw1993, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Tomstro likes this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was actually indirectly responding to the poster you were responding to. That poster said Marwin got more bad strike calls than anyone in the league. That is clearly anecdotal and has no basis in fact.

14. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Sorry, I didn't catch that you were referring to the poster before me still. I'd agree with you on that point -- not enough evidence to make a superlative statement like that.