1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's an eSport?

Discussion in 'Clutch Gaming and eSports' started by CometsWin, Mar 31, 2018.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a sport if you sweat doing it? Can we get the parameters?

o_O

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Does thumb sweat count?

3. CometsWin

Thumb cramps? Thumb masseuse on staff? Lots of electrolytes.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

When did this happen?

This is pretty cool

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Let me 1v1 their entire team.

6. Raz

Raz Member

7. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

So you don't consider bowling or billiards a sport? Those dudes are good! :eek:
    I dunno, it takes a lot of dedication to be as good at these games that these guys are...even thou they have dad-bods at age 20...

8. CometsWin

No, they're recreational activities. Just like bocce ball, marbles, darts, golf, etc.

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I dunno, golf can be tiring. Have you ever played 18 holes in the Houston afternoon heat and decided to just take care of a bunch of stuff on your to-do list afterwards? It's like pimpin...it ain't easy...

10. CometsWin

I'm old, I don't go outside in the summer. When they invent indoor golf, I may well try it. ;)

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think that just because something involves skill and can be turned into a competition, it doesn't make it a sport. Calligraphy is a skill. They have calligraphy competitions. Calligraphy is not a sport. I'm a music educator. Playing an instrument is a skill. Students participate in contests, both as individuals and as part of large ensembles. Music is not a sport. Some people want marching band to be considered a sport because it involves skill, physical exertion, and is done competitively. Marching band is not a sport.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Sport or not doesn't matter.

People get hung up on that classification. Some people try to gatekeep because of it, some people think being labeled a sport will bring some sort of magical validation and level of respect. Who cares?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I dunno if it's a sport but I sweat bullets when it's 1v1 in Fortnite/PUBG.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't consider a 5'10 300 lbs dude who plays WOW an athlete therefor I can't call computer gaming a sport.

15. Raz

Raz Member

(1) WoW is not competitive so technically doesn't qualifiy as an eSport
    (2) Keeping the cliché alive: Is a 5'10 300 lbs dude rolling a ball towards pins an athlete to you? How about chess? Golf, Weightlifting, Synchronized Swimming, Archery, Sailing, Table Tennis, etc. - all Olympic sports. Where do you draw the line?

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I like online gaming, always have I guess. I’m more of a console/CoD guy but I understand online gaming and how it can be competitive.

I heard about that huge clutch gaming upset and to my credit I YouTube’d the final match where they won the series to advance. I watched all the stuff on character choices and watched them play.

But man, I was lost af. I don’t play LoL and never have. I was so confused tho. Watching it I couldn’t even decipher what was happening during the battles.

I expect the production and announcers to really be the next step in the growth of egaming. I think it needs it also.

Still, pretty cool stuff all around.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wouldn’t consider Chess and gaming a sport. You could literally be paraplegic from the waist down and perform just was well as one with both working legs in gaming and chess.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agree with this.

It is an internet staple to provide one's own definition/stipulation to a word and then argue endlessly on behalf of it. And it's ridiculous.

This was crystallized for me several years ago on a previous message board when there was a heated argument over who was the "Home Run King" in MLB. No one ever asked what in the **** a "home run king" was. Statements like "Bonds is a better home run hitter, but McGwire is the Home Run King" were said. It was really stupid.

#18 Haymitch, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

i have done 18 holes and then gone to work later that morning. what people don't know is that i half-assed the last 6-7 holes because and was unproductive for the rest of that working day.

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Well that doesn't make sense. Basketball is recreational if you don't do it professionally.