1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas' Israel Boycott Rider

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Let's say hypothetically that you owned a small business. And, an entity that is an arm of the State of Texas wants to do business with you. They would be neither a big nor a small client, just another sale. But, because of a law that went into effect last September, they ask you to sign a rider where you assert that you are not boycotting Israel and they you will not boycott Israel for the term of the contract. Now, your hypothetical business is not currently boycotting Israel and is structurally local and has no way to boycott Israel even if you wanted to. So you could just sign it, because it doesn't matter to your operations at all. Would you sign it?

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I probably would sign it though I'm disgusted by Israeli occupation. As a practical matter it's irrelevant in your hypothetical.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would ask them if there is any flexibility with that part of the contract. Explain you have no plans to boycott, but if something new happens, you might want to boycott in the future. Maybe add except in terms of gross human rights violations or something like that.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It would depend upon the hat color of the entity.

5. conquistador#11

There are jews in Texas? I was already scared of the Mexicans and the Muslims.
    Thanks for ruining my day.

Invisible Fan, CometsWin and B-Bob like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

You fuking jackass. Thanks.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Why would you have a problem to sign it - why would you ever want to "boycott the state of Israel"?

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No smart business signs any document that doesn't have the business' interest in mind period. Any business owner would be an idiot to sign contracts or agreements that having nothing to do with their/his/her business. Smart business always only have the business interests in mind, no other interests apply.

da_juice likes this.
  9. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

So let me get this straight: refusing to sell wedding cake to gay couples is #firstamendmentrights; refusing to do business with Israel is...not?

#conservativelogic

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No, I wouldn't sign.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Why would I support weird-ass government edicts that have nothing to do w my business or its effect on my customers?

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Why exactly is any government in the US mandating loyalty to a foreign country?

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps I am googling poorly, but I cannot find what law you are talking about.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Business should be allowed to discriminate against customers. Period.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nailed it.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Here's an article: https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/anti-israel-policies-are-anti-texas-policies

And here's the text: https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB89/2017

I was probably too busy crying about Trump being President to pay this law much mind when it was passed. But all state entities are now asking businesses to sign this rider to do business with them. Apparently, a lot of numbnut states have a law like this now. The ACLU has sued Kansas and that's in the courts now. I have no desire to boycott Israel, but I do have a problem with Texas asking businesses to curtail their political speech to contract with the state. I expect the ACLU will eventually prevail and all these laws will get tossed. In the meantime, I'm sure many businesses are signing this just to be in compliance and do business without concern for first amendment implications. It didn't seem too real until someone actually sent it to us asking for a signature. I hate these stupid grandstanding politicians. Same folks who brought us the bathroom bill. We won't be signing btw. Thank goodness it's not a business that's dependent on a lot of government work.

No way, btw, Amazon will be coming to Austin or Dallas with a state government doing stupid ish like this.

bobrek likes this.
  18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

"If you're not guilty, why wouldn't you let them...." -- same realm of logic. Seems pretty ridiculous to ask a business to sign this waiver all for political pandering.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree that it is ridiculous to ask a business to sign that. But to me, it would be like asking me to sign something that says I will not hit children or something. I'd be like...why are you asking...ok but since I am not planning to do this anyway, I'm not losing anything by signing it.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Without strong pro-Israeli laws this is what you get...
    _____

DC lawmaker blames Jews for bad weather

A DC lawmaker blamed a late-winter snowfall on a family of Jewish bankers — accusing them of controlling the climate and orchestrating natural disasters.

“Man it just started snowing out of nowhere this morning, man. Y’all better pay attention to this climate control, man, this climate manipulation,” White can be heard saying in the video, the Washington Post reported.

mdrowe00 likes this.