1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I was hoping the Stros could do something along these lines with a few of the youngsters.

2. Major

Major Member

Seems like right now - in his prime, after an MVP season and a World Series - is basically the worst possible time to negotiate an extension with Altuve if you're the Astros.

jim1961 likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Altuve's camp would scoff, possibly be downright insulted by an offer like that. Not only is it far too short, 27/yr is probably an undervalue.

Sure the extra money on the front end would be much appreciated, but to sign a contract that runs through 34 would be almost be a worst possible end date for a player. At that age he wont get any extensive offers. The only type of deals he would likely consider are very short, or very long.

3/50 to get one extra year of control, or something like 8/180, even those offers likely don't get a signature. His value isn't likely to get much higher than it is right now, so I doubt the Astros are doing much talking.

4. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

The salary gravy-train may have topped out this year. $120m is nothing to scoff at.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Robinson Cano is making $24,000,000. You really think Altuve would settle for $20,000,000?

6. Buck Turgidson

Who cares? Win this year.

Plowman likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

First, I don't think it's accurate to say Altuve won't net at least 6y/120mm because of this off-season. Sure, that's a nice piece of change, but Altuve will fetch more than that on the open market. 2017 lacked any player comparable in impact, risk, really all factors considered, to a player like Jose. Now, next off-season will be telling, with headliners like Harper, Machado and Kershaw, and a solid crop of stars like Donaldson, Blackmon, Kimbrel, etc.

Altuve's pros and cons aside, I think he's on pace to net a contract with a floor around Hayward (8y/184mm, 23mm avg), and a ceiling (read: CEILING) around Scherzer (7y/210mm, 30mm avg) or Pujols/Cano (10y/240mm). If I had to guess, any Altuve extension will occur once some of next year's dust has settled. I believe that Crane is ready (and will) keep Jose around 275mm, but is waiting to see if he can get a better deal.

The gravy-train has slowed because teams are no longer foolish enough to spend crazy amounts on Tier 2 and Tier 3 stars. Yeah...the days of paying Jordan Zimmermanns (5y/110), Chris Davis' (7y/160), Cuetos (6y/130) are probably in the past for the Union. But Jose does not fit in that category. Now, Marwin, Kuechel, and even Springer may face the realities of the market a bit harsher than Jose, but that's another story.

#2647 awc713, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  8. Buck Turgidson

I totally agree. :)

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What thread should we use to discuss Astros contracts and future speculation?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But when he’s locked into a worse than arbitration level deal, for 2 more years, and the Astros are looking for any sort of backdoor in the neogitiation for his free agent years... there is a potential mutual pathway interest.

Nobody said it was going to be cheap, however. But they may get more production/$ now vs what they get from him 2 years from now (if they intend on trying to keep him... if they’re not going to try, none of this matters).

11. Major

Major Member

I see what you're saying, but the only way the Astros really benefit from an extension now is getting him to take a discount from his current market value (sky high) using the "who knows what might happen over the next two years, so sign for a little less now" argument. I think it could work if Altuve hadn't already signed his current trade-money-for-security deal with the Astros, but I can't see him doing that again.

12. Buck Turgidson

Apparently...all of the threads.

Plowman and jim1961 like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I expect the Astros to lose Altuve. I think Alex Bregman is the starting 2B for this team in 2020.

Altuve is a Boras client. There will be no discounts. If you want to sign him early you have to overpay. Otherwise, he hits the market and we probably lose him to a "big" market team. The price for good playerd is down but not for stars. Watch what Harper gets next winter.

The Cano contract is relevant. 240 million over 10 years at age 31 and that contract will be 5-6 years old when Altuve is a free agent. I think 240 million over 8 years is in the ballpark for Altuve.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They'd still likely have to money up big money for his free agent eligible years... but giving him a substantial raise over these next 2 ultra cheap years should be nothing to scoff at from either party. The Angels were able to do a similar deal with Mike Trout, who still is likely worth more than Altuve.

A 4-5 year deal now would give him more big-time money now... still give him the opportunity to test free agency (or sign another extension) within prime years... and give the Astros more years of control during his prime years.

OR.... he can play out the string getting paid basically nothing for 2 more years, and its unclear where both sides will be 2 years from now in regards to what they want to do (Astros may want to keep him, but unlikely to want to be overpaying for below prime years late in career... and Altuve may just be looking for biggest payday/years possible).

I'd start at 20 million/year for the 2 remaining cheap years... and 30 million/year for 2-3 years after that. A 5 year $140 million dollar deal wouldn't move the needle some?

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Buying one of these right now. Don't care about cultural appropriation.

16. Buck Turgidson

Respect.

craigharmann likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Devenski cannot keep falling off to the left. 2nd half of last season...no bueno. Drive at the plate.

18. Buck Turgidson

I've never understood with Lidge/Giles/Wagner FB/Slider types... after you get them set up and leaning out over the plate, why would you not just bust them (not hit but...) all up in their hands with a fastball? Twice, just to keep 'em honest and put the fear of god into 'em. It makes the slider that much more fun.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lidge and Giles have different sort of sliders than Wagner had. There's is almost more like a changeup... with an almost 90 degree drop straight down late in the zone.... whereas Wagner had a Randy Johnson sweeping slider type. Hitters weren't leaning too much against them.

If you're facing the Lidge/Giles type, and they're on... you're basically in a guessing game. Taking the first pitch or two to hope he throws a slider (that breaks out of the zone). If you get behind, you're all but done (barring the pitcher throwing an asinine mistake pitch, or getting wild).

I thought Giles did a much better job of fastball placement in the regular season (much more improved from 2016). You could tell it was a point of emphasis between him and McCann, as was getting first pitch strikes with the slider (which usually was a very hittable pitch, but again... hitters taking/guessing).

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Astros were willing to pay Altuve 42.5 million a year for a three year extension, I don't think they have to worry about re-signing Altuve if they don't get an extension.

Altuve probably only has one big free agent contract in him and maybe another much smaller one. While I wouldn't turn down that contract, players generally go for the most guaranteed money once they get close to free agency. I highly doubt he accepts anything that gives him less than 5 years after when he would hit free agency. There is very little reason (other than playing it safe which he is unlikely to do) Altuve would let the Astros get all his good years without taking some risk on some of the years that are likely on his decline.

#2660 Joe Joe, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018