1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trip advice] Cool things to do in Denver

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by steveng125, Mar 9, 2018.

1. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I'm headed to Denver at the end of april and I was wondering what would be worth checking out while im there.

Anyone have any cool hiking trails they know of?

Any attractions near denver worth driving to check out?

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The immediate Denver area is not the best for hiking. I prefer driving north towards Estes Park and doing some of those trails.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Moving this from the D&D to the Hangout @steveng125 .

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs

body slam likes this.
  5. body slam

body slam Member

As mentioned both mentioned Estes Park and Garden of the Gods are worth seeing. If its warm enough try white water rafting.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Go to The Fort and get the Game Plate (Elk, Quail, Buffalo).

You are welcome.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Playoffs. We very well could be having a 1st round matchup with Denver.

If so, maybe I'll see you at a game.

don grahamleone, tinman and Nook like this.
  8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Lots of hiking around Boulder, just west of Golden, and pretty much anywhere once you get up into the mountains. Go by Tattered Cover bookstore, spend a few hours wandering around the sections, and pick up a good local hikes book.

Nook likes this.
  9. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I hope so ill def be there if that happens

10. droxford

droxford Member

steveng125 likes this.
  11. theimpossibles1

Just head west from Denver and sh*t quickly gets scenic as f*ck. Trails and parks everywhere you look. Check out Red Rocks ampitheatre it's badass.

heypartner likes this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Go to Colorado Springs and jog up the Manitou incline. Can you do it in less than 20 minutes?

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Smoke weed every day.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The best thing to do when you get to Denver is immediately leave Denver and explore the beautiful mountains. I think this is especially true if you're from a city like Houston, but the tourism, food, nightlife, art, shopping in Denver will leave you disappointed. They have decent local beer and a music venue.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I've lived in Colorado for 9 years, the last 4 in Denver

Hiking:
    Idk how far you want to drive. Some easy day trips would be the Flatirons in Boulder or Saint Mary's Glacier just past Idaho Springs. The snow has been **** this year so the trails shouldn't be too bad. You could head up to Boulder in the am, hike the Flatirons and spend the afternoon drinking/eating/shopping on Pearl Street. For St. Mary's glacier, I would suggest bringing food and beer/edibles and eating lunch by the lake at the base of the glacier. It will probably bee too cold to swim, but its nice and relaxing up there, could watch some ski hikers bomb down the glacier as well.

Tourism in Denver:
    Not really a lot if must see sights, more fun experiences. Most notably beer and weed. It's the capitol of both of these in America. You also probably don't need a car to do all that much in the city itself, its very walkable and free shuttles will take you from one side of downtown to another. For beer, lots of craft beer in Lodo and Rino. Great Divide is a good tour to start with, then venture north into Rino and you will literally just stumble upon multiple craft breweries on every block up til around 38th Street (Ratio, Epic, Crooked Stave, etc). A couple good craft beer bars are Freshcraft and Falling Rock. As for dispensaries, they are all over town. The budtenders are usually really friendly and helpful. I don't smoke it, only eat it. They can guide you to the type of stuff you are looking for and will answer any questions, even if they sound dumb. I'm personally a fan of the gummies and the chocolate bars. And the Glendale area has more lax dispensary laws, they are open til midnight every night.

Nightlife:
    Lots of different vibes to check out and a better scene than Houston imo. If you wanna get 6th Street style shitfaced, thats LoDo (Lower Downtown) and Larimer street. Lots of hipster dive bars in SoBo (South Broadway). RiNo (River North) has trendier hipster bars. LoHi (Lower Highlands) has a mix of everything, hard not to have fun there. Then Larimer Square has some more drinking places for older people and some nightclubs scattered around. As for food, its not Houston which is a world class food city, its very different, but worth checking out. Mexican isn't good, neither is Vietnamese (except for Bahn Mi). But there are some pretty cool experimental style places. Sushi is surprisingly good and underrated. Most stuff is locally sourced healthy stuff. Portions are also normal human style portions, unlike Houston. Don't eat on 16th street for the most part, just garbage chains or places just like chains.

Definitely don't do this

That would be so great

#16 rhino17, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    steveng125 and Joshfast like this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

estes park is pretty cool. If you drive up to the top there is snow.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the Stanley hotel

steveng125 likes this.
  19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Smoke some weed legally

dmoneybangbang and steveng125 like this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Go check out my cousin's Bed & Breakfast in downtown Denver!

http://queenannebnb.com/

He's the owner/operator and head chef!

steveng125 and Hustle Town like this.