1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Booster Rockets: How Off-Ball Shooting Fuels Houston’s Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Feb 13, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thought this was a great article from The Ringer

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/2/13/17005988/houston-rockets-offense-explained

It's not surprising to any of us fans, but laid out really well.

Some interesting points:

Not meaningful until you consider guys like EG and Ryno and even CP3 have had long injuries on past teams in past seasons. EG's overall relative health in particular. Running less, cutting less, etc. has to lower injury risk.

C'mon Ryan!! You should be hitting 40% out there!!

Again we all know this. I really hope DM and MDA are considering how to get back to 1st quarter offense in the 4th quarter....

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Read most of it this morning. Definitely a good read on what makes our offense to difficult to stop.

bilaal14 likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

So defenders aren't actually in Ryan's shorts as he stands 4 feet behind the 3 pt line? Said this a while ago, but if defenders were always up on him then he wouldn't have any shots because he doesn't shoot when he's contested. He gets the ball and passes it right back to Harden or Paul.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No one said they were in his shorts, just like they aren't in Ariza, Luc or Tucker's shorts when they are at the arc. But the defenders have to match him taking a step back by being a step further out than normal on their help positioning. There are many videos showing how that works.

For some reason when ppl say that when our elite shooters are 26' feet out it stretches the defense more, you seem to think we are saying they are in their shorts. No, just that an extra step out by the defenders gives harden, Paul and Gordon an extra step of room on their drives.

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

You weren't involved in this specific conversation so no wonder you are confused. Anyways, back in your cage you go.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why so disrespectful?

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

their image in the article is AWESOME
    [​IMG]

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

It is weird when you play some of these teams and guys are just completely taking you out of the game, but you’re standing so far away that it’s like, ‘This is the best thing I can do for the team.’

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

"Harden is the most dangerous isolation player in the league — among the 38 players finishing at least two possessions per game out of isolation, per NBA.com, there are only two averaging more than 1.2 points per play: Harden at 1.24 and teammate Chris Paul at 1.23."

What a luxury this is.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Aydge

Aydge Member

It is quite the luxury. But you have to give all of our shooters credit, especially Ryno and Ego, for the crazy amount of space they provide. It's a different ballgame trying to ISO while Corey Brewer is on the court.

hakeem94 and iceman44 like this.
  12. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I love Gerald Green. I don't know if he is more fan or teammate, and he's perfect.

“James is one of the best one-on-one players probably that I’ve ever played with,” recent Rockets addition Gerald Green says. “The way he’s able to break down a defense — any defense — and get to the hole, draw fouls, shoot 3s from 50 feet, shoot a midrange jumper like it’s a layup, plus get and-1s from getting to the hole because he’s so strong. And Chris Paul, I mean — woo! I think ninth in all-time assists? The way he’s able to read defenses, read double-teams. The way he’s able to look defenses off and make the right pass right on the money. They always say a passer makes a shooter, so with those two guys — and you always have one on the court or the other. Sometimes both. Playing with those guys, man, it just makes everybody’s job a whole lot easier.”

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Chuckles, Clutchfansly.

14. bongman

bongman Member

So why post in a public forum? Can't you have your conversation via email?

15. aroundtheblock2

From the article:

This was planned I'm sure considering the Rockets now 2 of the top ISO players in the league. So yes, it may slow down, but in that scenario the Rockets just get the switch they want and then let Harden and CP3 go to town. Also, IF necessary, and I doubt this will play much of a factor but they just got "Iso Joe". Hopefully the plan works to perfection.

D-rock likes this.
  16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not sure what your comment has to do with anything.

Maybe read the exchange and try again. Or don't.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Tbh, I think this drastic increase in isolations this year is a testament to a weakness within GSWs defense.

When Cleveland won it kyrie and lebron went ham in isolation sets attacking and abusing curry. Obviously the suspension helped tremendously, but it did expose a kink in their armor.

So, now this season we have by far the 2 best isolation scorers and it’s by design if you ask me.

We still run so many high PnRs and a lot of the same sets from last year with some new off ball wrinkles. But we are using isolation a noticeable amount more.

In a hypothetical series against gsw, I think we will mercilessly attack curry 1v1. Same with zaza for I’m imagining would be extremely limited minutes.

In years past, 2015, harden dominated in isolation as well but you could really pressure him with the high double team.

That isn’t the case anymore. Not only has he gotten so much better with handling that double team, he now has cp3 he can pass to and exploit the uneven defense from any potential double team.

Also, that in between low bouncing pass to the centers in case you haven’t noticed is also a deterrent to double teams. And it’s been amazing to watch capela develop from the top of the key out of that pass. He can now semi respectably drive it and even finish with an awkward euro and has gotten very good at recognizing the rotation and passing it to the open man.

It’s all so simple but yet incredibly beautiful and difficult to stop.

noppeper and D-rock like this.
  18. bongman

bongman Member

So telling somebody to go back to their cage has added value to the discussion?

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK. But you seem to be the one saying that defenders must follow shooters out to 26' and be "in their shorts", for the strategy to work. Do you still believe that?

If you do, then I disagree. My previous post explains why defenders don't have to "be in his shorts" for the strategy of 26' spot-up shooters waiting for a pass to work.

hakeem94 and don grahamleone like this.
  20. papoose115

papoose115 Member

isnt there a ringer curse? if they write an article about u then something bad is bound to happen?

hakeem94 likes this.