1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the US accept legal immigrants from "shithole" countries?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Do you agree with Trump regarding eliminating legal immigration from shithole countries?

1. Yes

9.4%
  2. No

90.6%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean the way you got upset when you were put in the basket of deplorables?

When you espouse a policy of saying we should allow immigrants based on skin color (white Norwegians over black or Latins from other countries) - that's not hurt feelings, that's actually against the law as the gov't is not allowed to discriminate based on race.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Trump didn't say skin color. That's your projection

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You shouldn't take anyone seriously that only sees skin color when comparing some of the poorest nations on the planet to some of the richest. Those who are that preoccupied with race aren't quality people.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is that why the African immigrants Trump listed that come from **** hole countries that he doesn't want are in average more successful than you?

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And eliminating all of them is?

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Please, don't be stupid. Everyone - including Republicans - knew he was talking about race. Even Republicans were disgusted by his comments. You can't possibly be so naive - more likely you are just pretending to be. But you have earned a rep for being bigotexxx as well on here.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Here's a question bigtexxx and bobbythealtrightbufoon - what's the difference between poor people who want a better life in America from Norway and poor people who want a better life from a shithole country?

answer? Skin color.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All but eliminating those who would come here and be a burden is absolutely legitimate. Like I said before, there's no shortage of those wanting to migrate to the US, given that why would you pick those least capable of adding to the country for any reason other than charity? I'm fine with a small number of charity cases, but the vast, vast majority of migrants should be those who will benefit the nation. Things are better now on that front than they were in the past, but even now less than half of legal migrants to the country come with degrees.....hell less than half are even proficient in English and 13% don't speak it at all....and that doesn't even factor in those who just sneak in the back door. Given that you have no shortage of applicants, why not set the standard fairly high? Other developed nations do.

If having high standards leads to a shortage of migrants, you can always let in more that don't meet the standard to make up for it, but I highly doubt that would be necessary.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You're ignorant if you think poor people in Norway make the same amount of money as poor people in Haiti. Terrible analogy from you. You need to get out and learn about the world.

10. JumpMan

You're looking at this issue through 'merica colored glasses; I'm thinking about it in terms of supply and demand. If you need X number of low-skilled workers, why ask for less? If you need Y number of high-skilled workers, why ask for more? If I needed 5 engineers and 10 laborers for my construction company, should I ask for 10 engineers and 5 laborers and expect 5 engineers to work as laborers?

Wouldn't all the cases be charity cases? They would all be removed from difficult situations and allowed into the land of opportunity. And don't all workers, regardless of what they do, benefit the nation?

I may be wrong, but from what I gather, they're already pretty high. They're better educated than the average American.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I've seen far more of this world than you have my bigoted texas friend. And I will tell you this - an educated Haitian who wants to work hard may make a lot less than a Norwegian tit-sucker who lives off the gov't, but I'd take the guy who wants to make a better life any day of the week - doesn't matter what the color of his skin or the size of his paycheck is.

That's the difference between me and you. I value hard work. You value entitlement.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bigoted Texas friend? Lol.

I'm impressed that bigotexx would use this shithole comment as an opportunity to conduct the same stale, discredited, stupid routine he's done for over a decade. That is dedication to your troll craft.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The US doesn't have a shortage of low skilled workers, so that argument fails.

Also when it comes to high skilled workers, you can almost never have too many and we certainly don't have too many as it is.

Because not all are charity cases. Those who come here will the skills and education to succeed are very unlikely to be a burden to the country, on the contrary, they are likely to benefit the country....which is why you'd want as many of them as possible.

As to "all workers" benefiting the country, no, not all workers are a benefit to the country, in fact many low skilled workers are nothing but a burden and like I said, we have a ton of those as is, there's no need to import more.

When half of legal migrants don't even have full command of the English language (more than 10% don't speak it at all) and more than half lack college education, IMO the standards are not high enough. While you are right that the 40 something percent of migrants that have college education is higher than the numbers in the US, that's not really the point. Migrants SHOULD offer more than the average American, it's the reason to accept them into the country in the first place. They aren't owed admission into the country, they need to earn it. You are stuck with the people that are native to the US, you get to pick those who migrate here. Think of it as being stuck with family and getting to pick friends. Someone might be less of an ******* than your uncle, that doesn't mean you want to invite them to Thanksgiving.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Bigotexxx is more of the really old Archie Bunker type uncle you have - the one that everyone kinda tolerates but in reality hates because they are so self-aggrandizing and don't bring anything of value to the get togethers. They just annoy people with their awkward and clueless bantering..

15. TheresTheDagger

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

When David Duke is on your side, you are on the wrong side...

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a stupid argument and I hope you understand why but I'll spell it out for you if needed.

18. JumpMan

First point, prove it.

For extra credit, what will our demand for low-skilled workers be in 10 to 20 years?

Through simple observation there are millions of foreign low-skilled workers already in the US and a low unemployment rate. That doesn't necessarily mean there's a shortage, but there isn't an abundance either, and our aging population is the game changer that puts that balance at risk.

Second point, back to supply and demand, but this time let's bring in price. What happens to the price of a product when the supply exceeds the demand?

High-skilled workers - I believe, Indians in IT - suppressing wages is an argument I hear from Trump supporters against highly skilled immigrants. It was even an argument used by Trump's campaign if I'm not mistaken.

Again, prove it. The fact that they fill a position that would otherwise be unfilled proves that they benefit the country. They don't work in a vacuum, you know, a cog in the machine is still is a necessary piece of the machine.

Why? We accept migrants because they'll fill a position that would otherwise be left empty. Sometimes, those positions are not going to require the best people.

Again, why? Why do you speak like this? Earn it? This is you looking through 'merica glasses again. Migrants don't want to have sex with America. They mainly just want to make money somewhere and America is usually hiring.

Again, why speak like this? You act like the rest of the world is a **** hole and that there are millions of responsible and honest professionals lining up to get in. The master market decides who gets to migrate here, not you or the country.

Maybe this is the problem, I think my friends picked me as much as I picked them, you think you pick your friends.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure you are confusing outsourcing with immigrant related issues. They aren't the same. Highly skilled workers aren't a problem because if leads to more small businesses and innovation....you know, because they are highly skilled and can create their own job if one doesn't exist.

That's a false assumption. Those positions wouldn't be left empty, they would be filled by those already here or the industry would be forced to change which isn't a bad thing.

I speak like that because that's the way it is. Any person who wants to migrate to ANY country should earn it. No country owes anyone the ability to migrate there thus that ability should be earned. It would be no different if I was talking about an American wanting to migrate to a different country. They should earn it.

There are parts of the world that are "sh*tholes" and there are millions of responsible and honest professionals lining up to get into the US.....and you couldn't be more wrong if you think that the US doesn't get to decide who is allowed to migrate here. Every country gets to decide who they allow to migrate to their country....even the countries that can be seen as "sh*tholes".

LOL what? This shows a misunderstanding on your part of what I'm talking about. Of course it's a mutual thing, you choose your friends from a pool of people who want to be your friends.....you know, just like you can pick the migrants you want to allow into the country from the pool of migrants who want into your country.