1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Going to the game today!
    Section 126. Row A!

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Enjoy it brethren. Let's hope the Dynamo can mess up FCD's plans.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

4. Beavis Stiffler

Damn and I thought the Dynamo front office was a mess. San Jose were heading in the right direction and if the season ended today, they're in the playoffs. Bad move by the Earthquakes front office and it will haunt them if they don't make the postseason.

Meanwhile, the Dynamo are playing against Kansas City in the Round of 16 of the U.S. Open Cup Tournament today at 5:30 because there's also a Houston Dash game after this, that's why they're starting at a early time.

[​IMG]

You can watch the game on this link: https://www.houstondynamo.com/live

[​IMG]

5. Beavis Stiffler

Well, it didn't go the way the Dynamo hoped for today as they are eliminated from the US Cup tournament. But at least they did not embarrass themselves by losing to a lower level 2nd-division team on national TV like what Schweinsteiger and Chicago did.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dynamo signing 22 yr old Argentinian attacking midfielder Tomas Martinez from Braga in Portugal

Beavis Stiffler likes this.
  7. Beavis Stiffler

He's officially the number "#10" guy the Dynamo been looking for. Hopefully he shows up somewhere between the Gold Cup or MLS All-Star break ASAP. They need someone or something to reverse this curse on the road games.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Apparently he is very skilled with great vision, but is extremely slow.

Another thing I am concerned about it Alex falling out of the lineup. The guy was playing at an MVP level to start the year, but Wilmer had been dropping him from the starting 11. He was also the only regular player that started in the US Open Cup game. Makes no sense to me. Clark should be the one dropped from the lineup

9. Beavis Stiffler

[​IMG]

SwoLy-D likes this.
  10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

FINALLY a road win

and without Cubo + all the Hondurans

This team is really deep at the wing position now with Memo coming on strong and Manotas becoming a must start player. Might be time to flip someone for a defender

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

this was the first game i was able to watch in a while, they looked very good the first 30 minutes, but then they fell into that trap of not attacking, they should have been aiming for a 6/7-0 game rather than 3-1. That Alex kid can play can't wait to see more. I like Boniek's game a lot, but I think at this point the step or two he has lost might be too much for him to overcome even on an mls field. As far as the point leroy was making earlier in the season about Rico, I still don;t see it. He covers the field and still contributes to the team.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Boniek was still with Honduras and didn't play for Houston last week. Not sure if you were referring to this game, or just generally. I think he is still a really good super sub that has a ton of versatility on the field. Once the team is fully healthy/back in town, a bench of Boniek, Quioto, and Rico should be pretty solid.

As for Rico, he still makes a lot of bad fouls and gives the ball away a lot although his conditioning seems to be a little better this year. When this new DP from Argentina is ready, Rico will be the one heading to the bench.

13. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

in general and his play in the gold cup too.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Rico is one of those players that gives the appearance of effort. Yes, he's everywhere...but when is he there and is he in the spot he's supposed to be at that time? Too often, it's behind the play or in the wrong space forcing him to chase and/or foul. He does it too often in the defensive 1/3 when there were defenders to cover the space...or he's chasing, forcing a defender to cover for him and opening up space for the opposing forwards. It's been his MO for a long time. It's not unlike Klinsmann's defense of Michael Bradley's play in the 2014 WC. "Hey look at his work rate! He was everywhere!"...but in reality, he was no where.

K mf G likes this.
  15. Beavis Stiffler

These are tough choices/decisions for coach Wilmer Cabrera on which players will start and get majority playing time. He's got players back from the Gold Cup tournament and also the addition of Tomas Martinez into the mix. It could be easier for the coach to decide if the Dynamo are playing 2 games a week so he can alternate the lineups and players can get more playing time. Here's my starting lineup prediction under a 4-3-3 formation:

Quioto or Elis - Cubo - Manotas or Wenger

Memo or Boniek - Alex or Tomas - Cabezas or Clark

Beasley - Machado - Leonardo - De La Garza

Deric

If its a 4-4-2 formation:

Cubo or Quioto - Manotas or Elis

Memo or Clark - Alex - Tomas - Wenger or Boniek or Cabezas

Beasley - Machado - Leonardo - De La Garza

Deric

I prefer the 4-3-3 because its more attacking and fast pace. A 4-4-2 is more like holding possession of the ball for a long period of time which is not the Dynamo's strength under coach Cabrera's system.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think they stick to a 4-3-3 although it often looks like a 4-2-3-1 with Alex playing the 10 role. I think you bring along Martinez slowly, they are playing well right now and I also am not sure where he fits into the mix. If he works his way in, he can move into Alex's role, Alex can move to Rico's and Rico can move to the bench. I think the lineup will look like this if everyone is around regularly.

Manotas ---------- Cubo ---------- Elis

Alex ---------- Cabezas ---------- Rico

Beasley ---------- Leonardo---------- Machado ---------- AJ

Deric​

Bench Order:
    1) Quioto
    2) Boniek
    3) Martinez
    4) Memo
    5) Anibaba
    6) Remick/Sanchez

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dynamo have signed Swiss international and formal Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos. He was last with Rangers. He's barely played in the last few years, but they are incredibly thin at CB. I'm not sure he's the starter they need but worth a gamble imo

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I recall him being a stud once......

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Senderos has played in 2 World Cups for Switzerland and in some of the top leagues. He's "only" 32, so there hopefully is still plenty left in the tank. If he's committed and fit, he makes the defense better.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

New DP Tomas Martinez deputed tonight. Came on for Rico and they moved into a 4-2-3-1 with Marintez as the pure 10. Cabezas and Boniek played behind him. He looked interesting. Seems to have fairly good vision, picked out some good passes and was on the ball a lot. But he also looks incredibly slow, definitely couldn't use speed to beat the defense.

In 1st place with the win tonight