1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOOTBALL/SOCCER/fútbol/футбол] FIFA Confederations Cup Russia 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Jun 19, 2017.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The preparation-to-the-World-Cup FIFA Confederations Cup Russia 2017 is underway, with today being the third gameday. MEXICO is representing CONCACAF there by way of the Rose Bowl 3-2 back in October of 2015.

As an interesting fact aside, Mexico is the only team there to have been championship of this tournament before. Not even Germany nor Portugal have won it. I think my team has a very good chance this time around with a great team coach Osorio has put together.

[​IMG]

The opening gameday saw Russia dominate New Zealand.
    On Sunday, Mexico drew with Portugal 2-2 and then Chile beat Cameroon convincingly.

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/event/218184/australia-vs-germany is going on as I wrote this post.

Anyone following?

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Raz

Raz Member

Deserves its own thread? :rolleyes:

No, seriously. Don't know about other countries but there's not a lot of hype over here. Not watching most parts of it, Germany sending not even a b-team for a reason.

3. SwoLy-D

Ha. :D

Well, it sort of IS a good "practice run" for Russia and for the teams who can potentially be there next year, just like any other Confederations. It's true. It's not that much hype, but it is entertaining better football than watching low-level. I bet if the U.S. was there, y'all would be watching. ;)

It really doesn't fit into any other thread, either.

VAR (Video Assistant Referee) is already creating controversy. It's not consistent and it is creating more chaos than good.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mexico is always good at those, so Swoly made it.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Why do you think that? The one minute of reviewing is a much smaller issue than the ref making wrong decisions that decide the outcome of a game.

Am actually kinda baffled with some of the negative feedback, it really shows how backwards and anti-technology a lot of football fans are.

6. SwoLy-D

I am not completely against technology. I am against slowing down the game, and waiting for people OUTSIDE the pitch to review things.:( That just ADDS to the game which is already well refereed.

In similar calls where VAR has been involved, that I have seen in this Cup, I have not seen it be "conclusive" or consistent. I think that for CLEAR matters, it should be a good review.

I am against it only for "judgment" calls, such as a close offside call which might or might not be a different outcome. If it has already been called, and it was a mistake because it was close, leave that as it may be with the game as it always has been: HUMAN error. Correct things when it is clearly a different way.

Also, there has not been a CLEAR way to tell people both watching TV and in the stadium, of what is to be reviewed, what CAN BE reviewed and what can't, or why a referee consulted with VAR.

I hope you've seen all reviewed calls and you've had a chance to evaluate when or when it isn't a clear call or when it is a judgment call. :cool:

7. SwoLy-D

No. MEXICO is not always good at those (please see Brazil 2013). Regardless, I would have been commenting or posting even if any other CONCACAF team had participated. I'm always interesting in a good competition.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

But that's the exact point, the game isn't well refereed and there are a ton of crucial mistakes with severe consequences.
    Especially in formats like the CL, where every further round awards a team with millions, this shouldn't happen.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Keep forgetting to watch probably because FOX has US English broadcast rights.

SwoLy-D likes this.
  10. SwoLy-D

There are HUMANS calling the game. They will make mistakes. Let them. If it's CLEAR, then yes. MANY of these calls have been questionable. Have you even seen them? I am confused by the results. On the Australian goal call, it was "judgment" and not clear completely. :eek:

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This makes no sense when we have the technology to correct those mistakes. Plus, I think you're forgetting how badly refs are often criticized and mobbed because of mistakes, you're doing the opposite of helping them with these sentiments.

Saw all of them and only the Australian one was questionable. One mistake is still better than half a dozen that were corrected.

ferrari77 likes this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

i am excite. we are witness to the future megastars of football.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Don't forget to watch the U21 Euro, Portugal vs Spain tonight and some of Portugal's & Spain's prime talent there.

Jontro likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was cried nearly to tears.

Jontro and Yung-T like this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I remember watching the 2009 final, USA players and fans clearly didn't care. They cared less about their semi-final win. Don't believe me, check for yourself.

Ya right, typical American sawker fans. They didn't qualify, so nobody cares. When they qualify, it's the most important thing, an amazing showcase, historic! Honestly it's pathetic and they should get called out for it.

Also, if you had a clue you would know the reason Germany is sending a B-Team is because the WORLD FACKING CHAMPS are looking for re-enforcements to the old squad for next summer. Great damn plan imo, especially when you are the current WORLD FACKING CHAMPS! So contrary to you veiled opinion, this tournament is very important for and to Germany.

Also typical shitposting when the first reply in a new thread is criticizing OP and the new thread. Clutchfans is going down the shitter.

#15 ipaman, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    SwoLy-D and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True but the reinforcements plans will do little because they got limited strong teams at the tourney.

I got my eyes on Goretzka, Stindl, Timo Werner, Draxler, Emre Can. The latter two actually are not B material.

There is Tizzle's breh Amin Younes.

#16 daywalker02, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    ipaman likes this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The breh to conquer them all.

18. Raz

Raz Member

Please don't even try to teach me about the German team. I'm following my guys since 1990 and know about everything that's going on in German football since then. And I mean everything. The federation president and Coach Löw both said, the U21 European Championship is more important than the Confed Cup. The "WORLD FACKING CHAMPS" might as well use the Qualifiers to test young players, since they're 6-0-0 with 27-1 goals right now. The majority of the Confed Cup squad has little to zero chances to make it back to Russia next year, some of them would've never been selected to the national squad in the first place if not all our major players decided to rest.

And by the way, the first reply was a joke, referring to the Houston Rockets section up there.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Calm down mate, no need to get offensive. Raz just stated the truth, there's absolutely no hype for this tournament, only die-hards like me watch it.

It's true that the tournament is a good way for trying out new players, but the only reason this happens is because all the star players don't want to participate and the tournament isn't meaningful enough to keep them from vacation.

Many players and league officials have also stated that the Confed Cup is unnecessary and should be abolished.

Again, Raz plainly stated the general consensus of German fans and a majority of players, there was absolutely no need to get agitated and attack him.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is alright. If Ipaman is a North American breh, that is actually good. Another fan more.