1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon is buying Whole Foods

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 16, 2017.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not sure this is a "distribution center" play as much as it is a play to get into the retail game.

The first series of "smart" grocery stores, etc?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm curious to see if they go after broadline distribution also.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Austin no longer has any Fortune 500 companies. Dell should get back on the list after going public again after becoming private for a few years. Still, pretty sad. The city is never going to get a pro sports team with the lack of corporate HQs.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That, cannibalizing radio revenues with Big 12/SEC and two other pro-markets, and not wanting to shell $500 million - $1 billion in county money for a stadium that the team gets all the revenues and concessions for, even on non-sporting events the entire off-season.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The logical next step for Amazon is to acquire Instacart, which has become a viable delivery service after an exclusive partnership with Whole Foods. It's the last mile in the logistics of fresh produce delivery. Instacart already has the infrastructure in place to bridge the warehouse-to-store-to-customer chain.

This is the one area where Amazon has struggled - reaching the endpoint in the supply chain. This move would play into Amazon's strengths by taking an established delivery system and connecting it to Amazon's distribution pipeline to funnel whatever Amazon wants to sell.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Uh... Hormel???

Yes, yes, I know what you meant. :)

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Is this going to be reality?

I know they have a single retail location in Seattle for testing, does this mean Amazon is going to push this nationwide now?

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The future of smart grocery shopping is already a reality. No joke, but it's at Sam's. If you download their Scan and Go app, you just scan your items on your phone and pay for it via the app with one click. (I registered my credit card on the app previously). You don't even have to stand in line or anything. You literally just walk out. The guy at the door just scans your receipt on your phone and you're done.

It is now faster for me to stop at Sam's for a single item (mostly vegetables, fruits, bakery, cheeses, or drinks) than to go to an actual grocery store. I was in and out of a Sam's the other day buying a bunch of bananas in less than 4 minutes. I didn't have to speak to anyone or stand in any sort of line or pull out my wallet.

I have Costco membership, but don't even shop there anymore due to ease of access of Sam's experience.

10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

sounds good, but Amazon is taking it to the next level. And I'm pretty sure you can walk in, fill your grocery cart , and walk straight out without talking to anyone or scanning anything.

I swear, Amazon is taking over the world. What's scary is OK yeah they're probably hiring people and that's what companies like Amazon do when they know people are scared of them. Once they feel theyve taken over everything they wanted there will be massive "layoffs" and no one will say **** to them because of how many employees they have. apple already doesnt pay taxes.

Love Amazon now, hate them when they take over and you're out of a job. those clerks at whole foods are next. if they do this, I will be sure never to enter a whole foods again. I am against machines replacing employees.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. RedRedemption

It's inevitable.

12. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

trust me, there are many people just like me who from the moment they see a big company replaces employees with machines never enter that establishment again.

most big businesses are aware of this and that's why many just won't do it or are hesitating. right now, everyone's watching Amazon.

too much technology really can't be a bad thing. I wish the majority of my adulthood took place in the 80s, 90s and early 2000's.

13. RedRedemption

Yeah, people will lose their jobs, but when has that ever stopped technological progress and advancement? This is why basic income needs to be implemented when automation starts massacring the job market and people get displaced.

14. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

it will probably be implemented...still its sad that land of opportunity will be something only said in history books.

and while you cant fight it, people will try to resist it.

15. MystikArkitect

Thats what humans do. They do what's most convenient for them until that convenience costs them their livelihood. Then they look for someone to blame.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I shopped at Whole Foods back when it was the original groovy little store on North Lamar largely run by a bunch of hippies. Some of those early employees and "co-owners" are millionaires today, soon to be wealthier. I hope things don't change drastically. The most positive change would be lower prices. Whole Foods has been too expensive for years. We shop there anyway, but not as much as we once did.

s land balla and RasaqBoi like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

This. Distribution in the physical space and in the digital space with Amazon Web Services.

VooDooPope likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

It's both I would assume. The Whole Food stores serve both as a retail store and as a delivery point for groceries to households in areas with higher incomes.

19. RedRedemption

The land of opportunity for some and the land of cyclical poverty for many.
    People at the point of displacement would be most affected as basic income is going to be a debate for decades, so for those people its going to be incredibly unfortunate.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  20. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I have a large chunk of my IRA account in Whole Foods stock. Too bad I bought a few years ago at the exact same price Amazon offered ($42/share). On the bright side, at least my position isn't down 30% anymore.