1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

South Carolina cop charged with murder in black man's death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Remii

Remii Member

Considering what the police department was doing... I'm surprised they didn't riot sooner.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's not what you are suggesting. Read what you just wrote.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it is what I'm suggesting. Perhaps you should go back and re-read this thread, you seem to be way off base.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://news.yahoo.com/video-released-showing-killing-black-oklahoma-suspect-202659435.html

Another police shooting, this one apparently an accident. A 73-year-old volunteer "reserve deputy," who is an insurance exec in his regular professional life, intended to use taser on a suspect but fired his gun instead.

The other cops didn't seem to realize that the man was shot, despite him yelling so repeatedly, and continued to subdue him for the duration of the video.

My question is whether it's a great idea having a 73-year-old volunteer on patrol with regular police, carrying a gun and everything.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just too many incidents like this.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you call an entire group of people who are protesting "rioters" who are dumb and no nothing about justice (who all happen to be black) yes you are revealing your bias. You seem to not understand that you are a racist.

7. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

8. Remii

Remii Member

So does that mean they dropped the murder charges and let the cop out of jail for shooting a guy 8 times in the back...?

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

None of all that on the website justifies shooting the guy in the back 8 times, even if it all were true.

10. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

At the time of the shooting, the officer likely believed that the suspect still had his taser. From the article:
    I'm not going to go arrest someone who has a taser on them. Yes, it could have been handled differently. Yes it is dangerous, and Remii would probably agree that cops shouldn't chase dangerous people, but that's not real life.

I'm very interested to see how this turns out criminally.

Civilly, it will probably turn out good for the family though. His children will now get from their father what he couldn't provide while alive.

11. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

The Supreme Court has held that an officer may use deadly force against a fleeing suspect only when there is probable cause that the suspect “poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.”

12. Remii

Remii Member

I don't have a problem with cops chasing people (only when other civilians are in danger or the senseless destruction of property)... But if you believe the officer was within his legal right to shoot someone in the back 8 times. I can't debate your opinion.

I do agree the cop won't get much time in jail if any.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Which he didn't at the time he was shot in the back 8 times.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Rewatch the video and you will see that is a load of garbage. Not only that, having a taser (with a clearly SPENT single shot) doesn't justify killing someone.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Wtf is this? Why is someone in their mid 70s carrying around a gun and running around with real police? Now someone is dead because of a volunteer not doing the police's job right. Don't expect an6 charges to be filed because it was an accident and the guy was running anyway. Even though he was shot while already subdued by multiple officers.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Wow, all you have to do is be rich and donate and the police will let you play fantasy cops and try to cover up murders of civilians.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/natio...-man-shot-deputy-meant-stun-article-1.2181787

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You've got to be kidding me. Have to be.

Also love the article talking about "microseconds" when that isn't close to being true. The suspect had already put distance between him and the cop and the cop calmly pulled out his weapon and fired. Let's also not forget that he made sure to pick the taser up off the ground and put it near the body.

18. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

19. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

There it is. I knew this tool couldn't help but defend the officers actions. Also why take shots at the victim's character? Eight shots in the back ain't enough?

20. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

So this is what the Thin Blue Line actually looks like. Man it must be nice to have all of those people having your back even after you have committed murder. My coworkers don't even refill the coffee pot when they drain it despite the passive aggressive note requesting it to be refilled.