1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Nook

Nook Member

We will see.... He has one NCAA tournament game in the last 4 years which is nothing special. Most of his early success was with players he didn't recruit. He had an improbable Final 4 run 5 years ago but hasn't had any real tournament success since then.

He will have an opportunity to get players that he could not get at VCU and resources now. The question is whether that carries over.... Because at VCU making the tournament is good enough, at UT that will get you fired in a few years.

2. Nook

Nook Member

UT basketball was garbage before Barnes...

3. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

You are correct. I guess my point is that Shaka will put together fundamentally sounds teams that play together and he will coach players up that he recruits to UT. Philosophically Shaka is a very different coach than Barnes.

Barnes had a great run at UT and put UT basketball on the map and his accomplishments should not be diminished by his last three or four years.

4. Buck Turgidson

You must not remember the Weltlich years (it's ok, nobody does). Penders was the one that put UT hoops on the map. His personal issues unfortunately got the better of him.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Penders recruited streetball legends from New York and let them play that way in college
    :eek:

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Fantastic hire, Smart's teams always play above their talents.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agreed. I was glad to see Rick go out with great dignity and land on his feet.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Canzano: Shaka Smart has no idea what he's getting into at Texas
    April 01, 2015 at 8:03 PM, updated April 02, 2015 at 9:57 AM

What say yall to this?

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Some of the article rings true. Some doesn't. Implying the Trailblazers went in the tank because of Patterson is hollow. They were the Jailblazers. Success or not, everyone was ready to blow that up. Webster over Paul? Yeah it happens... Good picks happen too.

I don't think Patterson is all that and a bag of chips. But I don't see how anyone can fault him for getting rid of Mack and Barnes (effectively what he was brought in to do) and I certainly don't see how he can be faulted for the replacements he's chosen.

Doesn't mean it's going to work...

But at least for now you'd think all parties would be pretty happy at the direction change.

10. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Bomani JonesVerified account
    ‏@bomani_jones
    so what am i supposed to do if i still don’t think patterson knows what he’s doing, but he’s kinda nailed football and basketball hires?

ditto bomani jones

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think this was a fantastic hire.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources: Shaka Smart gets a 7-year contract from Texas.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/584016969554268160" data-datetime="2015-04-03T15:37:50+00:00">April 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

14. Major

Major Member

I know nothing about whether he's slimy/etc behind the scenes, but I love both the coaching hires and especially the process he went through on the football site (cutting the boosters out of the process, etc).

On the business side, I think he's pretty crappy. His latest gimmick is making it so that you aren't allowed to sell extra season tickets for football anymore. UT originally partnered with StubHub to make it easier to sell extra tickets - you can't always go to all 6 games, and so it helped fill the stadium and give other people an opportunity to go to games. Now, it's expressly prohibited with a threat of taking your seats away. Unless, of course, you pay an extra $150 per seat - then you are welcome to sell them all you want.

All this is going to do is create empty seats. It doesn't help ticket holders. It doesn't help non-ticket holders that now have less inventory to buy from. It's just a money-grab by the athletic department, presumably caused by the fact that market value of all the tickets have consistently been below face-value the last several years, so they are trying to pare back supply to raise prices more.

15. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lS76dGZRI0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. Thought the biggest challenge for whoever was the next AD was cleaning house on both programs and finding the right guy for the job. Obviously we will have to wait and see if Strong/Smart pan out but love the hires so far.

There are a few things that I think could have been handled better (changes to season ticket holders, Wickline lawsuit, Barnes' firing) but winning cures all IMO.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Smarter and stronger!

18. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

great recruiter, he couldnt convince some kids to go to vcu but with a school like texas( that CHANGES)

he's gonna keep most of that texas talent in state... justise winslow, the harrison twins, kelly oubre... just outta the houston area alone would probably give texas a look if they were still in high school

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

John Canzano can be quite the sensationalist. He's great with words and is a fun read. He is also very polarizing. Some Portland fans love him, some despise him.

I'd take that article with a grain of salt.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Heard Isaiah Taylor going pro