1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Andre Johnson no longer wants to be a Texan

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Jul 10, 2014.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad Mr. McNair stepped up and showed some leadership here. You've got the longtime face of your franchise upset about the potential of being cut next year. Step up and assure him that he's part of the plan, and this all goes away. Hope to see AJ80 retire a lifetime Texan and be our first (of many!) representatives in Canton.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

AdamWexlerCSN ‏@awexler

Quote:
    "I've never really voiced my opinion on things, but there comes a time when you don't agree on things, something needs to be said," Johnson

"The way he explained it to me, it's gonna be a lot of fun. It will be a challenge for me (to get caught up), but fun." Johnson on O'Brien

"Since he became the head coach, we've had great dialogue, phone conversations, etc." - Johnson on O'Brien (1 of 2)

"I don't plan on walking away from this. We talked about things. I'm comfortable with things." - Andre Johnson #Texans.

"This was the first time I've been away from my team for as long as I have," - Andre Johnson #Texans

Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy

Quote:
    'Dre: Nothing said that was "negative to my face. Friends understood how I felt." Admits Houston "is my home now."

'Dre says in phone conversations with O'Brien: "We've had great dialogue." New offense "will be a challenge."

More 'Dre: "I feel comfortable. I want to play football."

"Everybody was excited to see me and I was just as excited to seem them."

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Quote:
    McNair, O'Brien and QB coach George Godsey met with Johnson last Friday. McNair also spoke with Johnson on the telephone.

McNair told Johnson he'll be with the Texans for the next few years and expects him to be the first Texan in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Johnson says he plans to finish his career with the Texans. Bob McNair told him he wants him to finish his career as a Texan.

Johnson on teammates: "I was just as excited to see them as they were to see me.This is the first time I’ve been away from my team."

Andre Johnson said he had an ongoing dialogue with Bill O'Brien on the "telephone. I'll work my butt off to get ready like I always do."

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant

Quote:
    Johnson on finishing his career with #Texans: "That's my plan."

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It would appear our superstar got the comfort he needed.

Looks like he was just a little mad, and it is all good now.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh man, that's a really sore subject for me. The fact that Jeff Bagwell STILL isn't in the HOF makes the baseball HOF a complete joke. Biggio is less of a slam dunk HOFer, but he should be in too. Anyway, I don't want to get so off topic that people complain so I'll leave it at that.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now that's interesting. It would take a pretty serious pay cut and new contract to make that happen IMO, so it'll be fun to see how that plays out.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Yes it would have been... But why should he care about that when the rumor was/is he's going to get cut next year regardless and the Texans aren't/wasn't intending on paying him the money he had coming....???

Good thing is he's there at the start of training camp and has plenty of time to get on the same page with Fitzcraptrick...

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Very encouraging quotes.

Andre retiring a Texan? All is right in the universe.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sounds like they agreed not to cut him next year.

9. platypus

platypus Member

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree/concede to you that he doesnt care what I think and that is in fact just my opinion... but I dont agree that mini camp didnt matter. I agree with the quote below, it would have been nice for him to work out with the new QBs and work on learning the new system. Also, we were getting a new system and the team (specifically the young guys) could have used some vet leadership who buys into the new system and helps it move forward IMO.

Either way, Im glad hes back.

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

There was never a doubt in my mind, that it would get worked out.... OK, maybe a little.

Now lets go win 5 games, and see what QB we'll draft in the fist round!

I'm not gonna lie, it aggravated me that he pulled this crap, but I never jumped off the wagon. He is, and always will be my favorite player ever.

[​IMG]

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. He should get there with rather ease if hes playing

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DWade type Contract deal

Rocket River

14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So glad he's back

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm Calling a Double Digit TDs for AJ this season

Thinking at least 18

Rocket River

16. Raven

Raven Member

Lock thread please. :grin:

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Here is the link to the replay of Andre Johnson’s press conference: <a href="http://t.co/zMFBrDjwza" title="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/0ap2000000368814/Andre-Johnson-I-m-ready-to-work">nfl.com/videos/nfl-tra…</a></p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/492716870009503745" data-datetime="2014-07-25T17:03:50+00:00">July 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Glad he is back...And really dont think that McNair will let Smith cut Andre...#80 should be retired as a Texan and nothing else...now lets play some football...and maybe by some fortunate sports luck, the city of Houston can celebrate an NFL title before he hangs up his cleats...

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Great news. This was and always has been about winning. I never understood all the talk about it being about money. Andre has made plenty and will make plenty more, and his first comments about all of this were about not wanting to start over with a new staff -- it had nothing to do with money.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johnson says his concerns were not about the QB situation. Actually chuckled to himself at all the stories that circulated this offseason.</p>&mdash; Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) <a href="https://twitter.com/DeepSlant/statuses/492704032385802240">July 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>