1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, now, we are going for cap flexibility in the future.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jul 13, 2014.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Are we going to swing for fences again and go after Love (2015) or KD/Curry (2016)?

Seems like an okay plan but we sacrifice quality players (Parsons) short term for another chance to fill out roster in the next few offseasons... I hope Dwight can stay but with the new CBA in 2016, he might be trying to get paid again.

It's not looking good unless Morey is able to put together a contender again this offseason using the remaining Asik TPE, MLE, and BAE. (Assuming Asik trade terms stay the same). And hopefully the players we get are on short term contracts.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This rockets front office has a serious gambling addiction.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So... we lost Parsons, Lin, Asik.
    We gain Ariza and a bunch of mediocre one year contracts (allegedly).
    Morey wants cap flexbility only to get shunned by free agents next season.

Great plan.

4. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I was a Morey fan until this offseason. I understand taking risks but they have pretty much punted in the red zone on 1st and 10.

We have lost way more than what we have gained this offseason with no end in sight.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Is there even a point watching this upcoming season?
    Morey flat out is tanking the next season to grab a free agent next offseason...
    I guess its going to be fun watching Dwight and Harden play 48 minutes a game and dumping mountains of hope on Nick Johnson to redeem Morey's offseason catastrophe.

6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The flaw with your logic on Dwight is that Houston will be able to offer him the most money in 2016. I would've given up Parson for Love any day of the week. That's what may end up happening. We just traded for cap space as the middle man. I trust our front office. They've made better decisions than the majority of the league. They're realistic about their situation and they make moves to bring themselves closer to a championship. They don't make moves like signing Parsons to a max three year contract while they're best player is on his last legs and surrounded by scrubs at the other starting positions.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So pissed.

Exactly what is the damn plan for next off season? We don't have enough space to sign Love or Aldridge. We'd have to trade Ariza or something.

Beverley is going to a free agent next off season too. Watch us trade Ariza, and loose Beverley, decline Jones and Motiejunas contracts just to ****ing strike out in free agency.

This makes no damn sense.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Stupid stupid stupid

9. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

Harden and Dwight better start that bromance this summer with KD at the world championship!

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

miscalculations by morey. why didn't we just keep parsons on books. the. trade LIN and asik for space to sign someone. then deal with parsons next year

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Love and Rondo will both be traded by the deadline.

As for Love, there is no way the Rockets can now compete with the Cavaliers. Especially after they gave up a valuable 1st rounder in the Lin premature ejaculatory trade. Rondo is a possibility but I don't know if what the Rockets have in assets is going to make a difference to Ainge.

The best asset the Rockets have now is the ability to absorb a massive amount of contracts. The Problem with that is the leagues GM's have gotten smarter, and there are very few stars that have to be moved because their teams can't afford them

(best case is a Rudy Gay type of trade where the Rockets get a player that is not worth the high priced contract, but the Rockets feel its necessary to overpay to get the edge on the basketball court... However they weren't willing to do this with Parsons so it would be counter intelligent)

I really don't know where Morey goes from here. If he's going to ask the Rockets fans & (more importantly) the Rockets two stars to sit around patiently this year to "HOPE" that they can sign Rondo, Dragic, or Millsap. Each of which I'm not really sure are even that much more valuable to this team than Parsons was.

What a dumb dumb move it was to decline their team option on Parsons. They couldn't have been dumb enough to not see where the market was going to be for him. This is a very bleak day for Houston Rockets basketball.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Well, 2014/15 is gone.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

FUTURE is NOW.

Or I thought so.

This isn't Kevin Martin and Samuel Dalembert here...

14. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

If we can make a trade for Rondo (due 13 mil this season) and get commitment from him to stay with the team and we build around a big 3 of Rondo/Harden/Howard, that would be really good.

Let's say Morey flips the Asik trade into bringing over Anderson instead.

Then we trade Nick Johnson, protected 1st, 2nd rounder to get Rondo.

Rondo/Harden/Ariza/Anderson/Howard.

Easily an elite team.

15. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

I have faith in Morey but this all out for All stars BS is beginning to wear thin on me. Parsons just got added to the Team USA roster ffs. Terrible offseason!

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

I haven't worked out the numbers for it yet, will probably do it later.

17. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wizards have engaged Rockets and Pelicans in three-team deal to facilitate Trevor Ariza going to the Rockets and Omer Asik going to NO.</p>&mdash; David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) <a href="https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/statuses/488454668226285569">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I really like Morey but what plan is there? We keep attempting to go after big name guys who don't really want to come here. Our team chemistry and morale took a big hit this offseason. The guys liked Lin and Parsons, and with both of them gone, i'm hoping the team will be able to stick together. I really really like the Ariza signing and I think he can play at Parson's level. However, we can't keep waiting for stars to come here. As soon as we had Harden and Dwight, we should have just build around them with decent role players. If you think our bench sucked last year (which it did), it's gonna be worse this season. First round exit? I think so.

We got ****ed by Bosh and I realize that, but that shouldn't be the end of the world. Now we have some serious depth problems at every single position. Our PG and PF starters are very eh. Harden doesn't play defense but is one of the best scorers in the NBA. Ariza is a good player but really should be a sixth man, not a starter. Howard is amazing. And our best bench player is Troy Daniels? All of our bench guys are young and should improve on last season but they can't improve that much.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe the bench will really improve and provide some much needed support. Maybe Harden will play defense this year. Maybe Ariza will be our glue guy. Maybe Jones will improve on defense and Bev can be a better distributor and scorer. But that's a lot of maybe's and we have no assurances on how well this season will be. I still love my Rockets, this season will still be a good one, but I don't think it will meet the expectations that the organization and the fans set when we first got Harden and Howard together.

Oh and don't hate on Parsons, he was just trying to get paid. Can't blame him. I just wish he chose Cleveland or something instead.

19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Exactly!!!! Always the same... "next year", "next year"! Time to fire Morey!

20. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

SHUT IT DOWN. WE GOT ALONZO GEE.