1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Morey was on 790 a few minutes. Spoke about a variety of stuff including the player cameras for tracking every movement of all 10 players and the ball on the court amongst other things but a few interesting tidbits.

790 asked him on the Asik situation
    Morey: Happy to have him back, he is doing ok. We did try to trade him but nothing came off it. We are happy with the way the team is gelling and are back to what we thought we would have - that is 48 minutes of elite rim protection, rebounding and defense.

790 asked him about possible trades.
    Morey: We will only make a trade if it takes us to the next tier level. The team is beginning to find its feet together and we think we have something special and want to keep this team together and give it a chance.

Spam bot JR could post the full interview later ;)

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will add that he said something to the effect that Asik won't be traded at deadline.

Looking for something that makes Rockets contenders either this season or in future.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Reality has set in that the Rockets aren't going to get good value in return for Asik, and the sooner Omer realizes that the sooner he'll put it out of his mind and just make the best of the situation he's in.

5. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

my feelin' is if Asik won't be traded, it would be lin...we've got no other trade chip

1 person likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Crap - someone is being traded.

DD

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel everybody apart from Howard and Harden could be potentially traded.
    DM wants to get help for Harden. I think he does want to retain Chandler, but he is always looking for the 3rd star.(Love most likely).

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

From the words of a really good poker player. LOL. I believe nothing that comes out of Moreys mouth at this time of the year and before the draft.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

One thing for sure is DMo has some trade value as opposed to none a month ago. That gives us another trade chip but I wouldn't bet on him using it.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The standard talking point for most GMs in a similar situation is to say exactly what Morey said so as to not distract the players unnecessarily. Behind the scenes, they are probably having 1000 conversations that may or may not result in 1 or 2 deals. If they players knew and kept on thinking about what was really going on, they'd likely be upset all the time not knowing where they will have to move to next.

My guess is that, as Jonathan Feigen tweeted a little bit ago, they'll at least make a small trade for a low priced wing shooter/defender if no larger deals (which by rule will have to include Lin or Asik for salary purposes) materialize.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think adding another shooter is critical. I agree that we shouldn't make a big trade unless it launches us into that next tier of contenders. The chemistry is good and we are playing better as a team than we have all season. No reason to mess with that. But that shouldn't prohibit us from acquiring a legit wing shooting threat. We should be able to get that done without significantly altering the team. As much as i like DMo, trading him to fill that need likely wouldn't have much of an effect on chemistry.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

who plays backup PF if that happens ?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the Rockets were really that deadset on NOT making a trade, then Ronnie Brewer wouldn't be a Rocket here in February when its completely obvious that he's no longer able to contribute to a contending team unless they lose 80% of their team due to injuries.... and in that case they aren't really a contender.

Morey has yet to go through a trade deadline without making some sort of deal. If there is a way to bring in a solid player for cheap with giving up nothing but a contract like Brewer and maybe Greg Smith.... why not do it?

Id be shocked if Morey didn't make SOME sort of deal next week. Asik & Lin involved in mega deals??.... not sold on that happening. Both players seem to be more important to this team this year than anything they can bring back in a deal.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

Only way I see asik getting traded is if we get TWO rotoation players in return.

Morey : say danny you guys still want asik ?
    Danny : of course morey, we really need him to build around him, rondo, sullinger & whoever I get in the upcoming draft.
    Morey : cool I will give you Asik & brewer for either
    Humpries *expiring* + Bradley *expiring*
    or bass + Bradley *expiring*

15. Play07

Play07 Member

morey : say danny, I know we had an issue over the 1st round pick last time, I still would like a 1st included but I’m cool with a 2nd rounder, you know I like 2nd round picks.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. Otherwise you cut him back in January.

Still like this trade: Brewer/Greg Smith/Rockets 2nd round pick for Dunleavy

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Rockets are dead set against making a trade. They are dead set against making a trade that doesn't help them as a contender this year or another year during Howard's contract. Why trade away a player for pick(s) during the season when you can have player play the season and still trade the player for the pick(s) after the season? The teams that Rockets are trading with are most likely not contenders and don't need Asik for playoff run this season.

Also, who is going to give good value on a center who only has limited games after coming off a knee injury? Maybe if Morey can get other GMs to listen to DaDakota so he can get them convinced there really wasn't a knee injury.

The Rockets are more likely to do the reverse of the Marcus Morris trade last year. Give a pick to get a rotation player. Brewer's contract becomes handy for teams over the cap in this situation. Yeah, if a great player becomes available, Morey won't hesitate.

#437 Joe Joe, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Hopefully Rocket's can somehow land Anthony Morrow. Dude is shooting 47.6% from 3. Why he didn't sign with Houston I don't know, he signed for veterans minimum with the Pelicans.

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Is their a possible link for audio?

20. delishman

delishman Member

Land us Thugleavy through a pu-pu platter.

Just need someone to take Gar3ia's minutes.