1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF Melo goes on the trade block, should the Rockets get him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. nebula955

nebula955 Member

can he be our stretch 4?

2. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

The guy had AI one of the greatest strong personality players of alltime and it didn't work. Melo needs the whole offense to be structured around him because you know he will be chucking up shots. You need clean up guys and defenders to portect him.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Rather keep Chandler and the money free to make a splash in free agency next summer

4. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Harden and Melo's playstyle would clash. They cannot play together. And the Rox would never trade Harden for Melo.

5. nebula955

nebula955 Member

actually though...getting melo as our stretch 4 would be hilarious. a hilarious trainwreck..but still really really fun

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

This

I've seen a decent number of people on here argue against signing Chris Paul this past summer so I'm not surprised.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

My thoughts ... exactly. Where does he fit in Houston, and the players the Rockets could offer to New York is somewhat laughable?

8. imaginedragons

the 2 are totally different players. Chris Paul makes everyone around him better and gets everyone involved, Melo is ME first before anyone else. At this point of his career, it's fair to lump Melo with super talents in the past who were always sources of chemistry problems (see Stephon Marbury - each team he left suddenly had a much better record the following year).

Melo will bring more bad than good.

9. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Yeah, I'm saying though that a decent number of posters on here were arguing against signing Chris Paul too. The argument was that he wouldn't fit with Harden. Missing the forest for the trees when we use that argument, especially when it was used against Paul.

Melo is a top 15 talent. I'll take him in a heartbeat. With Harden and Howard, this would be the best team he's ever been on hands down.

10. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Dont like Melo but trade Harden for Melo... Hell YES!

11. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Except you have another ball hogger that can't coexist with Lin and would make him move to the bench in favour of Bev. Not saying that is a bad thing, but Lin really shines with ball in his hands.

I'd rather see a player that can score a lot, but still doesn't make his PG into a spot-up shooter. Pierce (Rondo), Love (Rubio), Durant (Westbrook)

12. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

..come to mind. Don't want to say we'd have to trade for one of those players (thought Love would be nice :)), but just pointing out what type of player could fit into our team.

Sorry pushed the submit button too early.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Whilst I truly doubt NY has any plans to trade Melo, Lin would be going with Asik in any sort of trade for Melo

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yaya.... another player who doesn't play defense.... sign me up.

15. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

The Rockets should get Melo at all costs. He is a proven winner, single handedly winning a college championship and steering multiple teams into the playoffs. He is a great scorer and passes well for his position. He is the epitomy of a team player and would serve the Rockets well for many years with at least 5 prime seasons remaining. His salary is high but fair due to his stature in the league and is the perfect 3rd "Star" for this Rockets team that has aspirations to win multiple championships. Not 1, not 2, not 3 but......you get my drift.

Trade Asik, Lin, Parsons and Jones for him. It works in the ESPN trade machine. Can you believe that! This is a no brainer for a GM as astute as Morey.

16. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Melo is the greatest scorer and more clutch than Harden, defense is not an issue as long we outscore our opponents

Let's do this

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'd trade Harden for Melo. Melo plays little D but Haren is far worse. Melo is also way more clutch

18. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Hahahaha. Thanks for the laugh, real good one.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

Obviously we have significant defensive problems. That said, some of those problems are tied back to the offensive burden we are putting on Harden and Parsons. Beverley, TJones, and to a lesser degree Howard all rely on Harden and Parsons to create.

Besides Lin, we do not have enough creators on the bench to facilitate the offense. They are trying make Casspi into lesser-Parsons, but at least right now, he can't fill that role consistently.

Adding Melo would diversify the offense. Last night's game, for example. When we went cold from 3 and they were collapsing in on Dwight, Melo would have destroyed them from midrange and along the baseline.

But Melo's biggest contribution would probably be in taking some of the load off of Harden and Parsons, which should give them alll (Melo included) just a little more energy on the defensive end. Would this solve all our defensive woes? No. Almost certainly not. But it does free us up to use our MLE over the next couple of years to shore up the defensive end and add more potent weapons.

As others have said, top 15-20 players don't come available very often. Only 2 have changed teams over the last year or 2, and they both play for the Rockets. If you have the chance to get one, you do everything within your power to close the deal, and then use your MLE to makeup for their shortcomings.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Well if u traded Asik, Lin, Dmo, you'd be trading 3 players who don't play D for one who doesn't (well technically Asik just isn't playing D but the outcome is the same)