1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Samurai Cinema] Carl Rinsch & Keanu Reeves' ‘47 Ronin’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 24, 2013.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This movie has had an interesting production history. Basically they gave Ridley Scott's son in law Carl Rinsch $250 mill to direct his first film. He's an accomplished award winning commercial director but $250 mill tent poles are an entirely different beast. It was an insane decision. Multiple takes, budget overruns, etc...

The film was supposed to be released Xmas 2012 but it ran over and there was a nasty battle in the editing room betweeen Universal (Comcast btw) and Rinsch over the cut of the film. The rumor is he was kicked out but daddy in law Scott came in to mediate both parties. Thus the film is being released a year later.

The good side is it was filmed in real 3D and not converted like all the summer junk released so far. The visuals are on par with Rinsch's commercial work but as is the case with most directors coming from that medium the acting seems wooden.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cRlyTwstGRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 percicles, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That actually looks pretty good.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

47 Ronin. White one is the best and gets the girl. Yay.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

fixed!

1 person likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I am ready. Lay it on me.

6. ILoveWhiteGirls

Keanu Reeves is Asian, hmmmmm. Since when????

7. percicles

1/4 Hawaii and 1/4 Chinese

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'll watch it. It's one of the three sacred Ks that aren't great actors but are usually in great movies.

Keanu Reeves
    Kurt Russell
    Kevin Costner

9. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

A commandment of my personal movie-going religion .... "Thou shall watch all Keanu action movies." Even tho I was slightly disappointed by the trailer (I had envisioned something different from the little that I read), I'll watch this flick for sure.

Here's hoping that there's a director's cut release (on disc) based off of what percicles reported...cause I'm hoping that Universal didn't do something like cut things out for a PG-13 rating.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Racist.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just doesn't feel the same without Tom Cruise.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

250 mil? Comcast can't be affording to lose money on this when it is losing money on CSN houston.

13. percicles

Here's a few of Carl Rinsch's award winning adverts. They guy has flair, I'll give him that.

'The Gift' - Phillips

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jeve1kJCBlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Evolution of Technology' - Saturn

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/16760365" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/16760365">Saturn - Evolution of Technology</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/hugogarcia">Hugo Garcia</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

'Road Color' - BMW

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HP2erfzq0kM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. 713

713 Member

Should have used that 250 mill on the Matrix 4

15. VanityHalfBlack

Please don't let this be another Last Airbender, please don't let this be another Last Airbender. Can someone confirm that M. Night had nothing to do with this? Please someone confirm that M. Night had no ties to this movie??

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Yeah that actually looked pretty ok.

on another note, can someone tell me what was the last movie that Keanu was in that you didn't secretly enjoy?

point break, replacements, bill & ted, matrix. hell even that crappy movie sweet november had charlize theron in it. He's batting, what, 7/10 in terms of entertaining movies? Thats pretty damn good IMO

17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I hate it when b****es be all turning into dragons and ****.

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Damn, that looked epic as hell.

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

That looks pretty cool actually. It's like the last samurai on steroids.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like the basic idea of it, but turning into dragons and stuff, with cgi of flowing unearthly robes, etc... meh, I don't know about that.