1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden vs OJ Mayo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Nov 23, 2012.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Exactly. Oj isn't a great defendxer,but he took the challenge. Its sad when martin is a better defender than harden.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good for him. They have enough ISO weapons on O that they don't need that much passing especially with Nowitzki coming back

Mayo's role is to score score score and be clutch

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

harden needs a coach to drill defense into his head.

mchale isn't one of them

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You think Mayo is more valuable than Harden? Mayo is in his prime and Harden is not.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also they are not even close to being the same player. Not close at all really.

Mayo is just a scorer, he's a REALLY great scorer but tonight didn't show me that he does anything else. When he went cold in the middle of the game he was basically invisible.

When Harden goes cold he still gets to the line and still makes plays. Keep the thread bumped. We will laugh at value because as good as Mayo is, Harden is 23 and is better.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Value takes contracts into account, buddy

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep.

And GMs who are so concerned about value are the same guys who thought Harden may not be worth it.

If Harden misses any games everyone is going to see how bad this team is without him...unless Linsanity happens again...

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

so getting 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals is nothing else?
    could be better for sure but he is no Kevin Martin

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden showed tonight how much better he is. It is night and day for a knowledgable basketball fan.

10. Chamillionaire

He's a great bargain at that price. He'll be a great compliment to Dirk.

But Harden > OJ.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Actually, Mayo and Martin have very similar assist/rebound numbers for their careers.

Kevin Martin is far more efficient as a scorer, but Mayo plays a little bit of defense.

Pretty similar talents... I'd take Martin.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well he's miles better than Martin because he actually drains shots in the 4th qtr.

While he did get 8 rebounds, it wasn't like "Wow, this dude is killing us on the boards! Someone box him out!" it's more like you check the boxscore and realize he has 8 boards. Its' a difference. It's why real Rebounding guards average more rebounds than him.

13. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Point blank, if you replace Harden with Mayo, the Rox would be no where near .500. Harden has the play making ability to make his team better. His turnovers need to decrease though.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And after this year that price will shoot up to his real value.

Dallas bought low and now it looks like they should have signed him to more years than they did :p

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then take into account that Martin played the main role in Sac-town and Mayo was coming off the bench in Memphis.

that is where the comparison ends with Harden
    but Mayo has surprised me... did not know that he can carry a team in the last minutes of a game something Martin has rarely done

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

never said he was all that great... but that guy has been playing well tonight and the whole season and I acknowledge that

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I don't know If he "carried" Dallas. Maybe I'm a homer, but I think Kevin McHale "carried" Dallas to victory. (That, and our ****ty roster outside of James Harden and Chandler Parsons)

OJ Mayo is certainly a solid pickup for Dallas. I wonder If he can coexist with a good PG?

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not many here are saying he's playing bad.

But he's not better than Harden and we'd rather have the 23 year old Harden.

As for his value, Dallas bought low and he's going to be UFA and someone is going to pay him. As I said, if anything they should have signed him longer and they really would have had a deal. Right now Harden and Mayo at around the same price and both will be getting paid next year so the whole "Value" deal arguement doesn't really work.

Unless Mayo takes his player option...which won't happen.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It takes two. Outside of our own misery Dallas is playing without Nowitzki.
    Maybe you didn't watch their other games. He has been balling

I agree this game was winnable.

20. M4-Nightvision

Harden just sign 5 years worth $80 mils with the rockets. Mayo is only $4 mil a year. how is cheap is that.