1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] Bad by Design, Rockets Gamble on Payoff Later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jul 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. amaru

amaru Member

2. conquistador#11

bad by design?
    you a rocket fan? :apply smug face:

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Fascinating article. I never thought that Morey would be following the Boston Ainge "Template", but sure enough, do the math in your head and it works out.

Why would we trade for Dwight now when we could suck, develop young players until their values get a lot better than they are now, collect another high lottery pick which would be our own, and then next offseason collect enough assets to trade for two separate superstars in independent deals? We would have enough, and then you would choose one between Lamb or D-Nuts to be our "Paul Pierce" type guy, the original good enough to be built around. Actually Pierce is a terrible comparison. We would never have a guy that good. Rather, we could have one of our current rookies play the role of Rajon Rondo.

4. aball1991

aball1991 Member

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If we're not making our move until next off-season, Asik and Lin will be tradeable, which means Kevin Martin need not be required to be involved in any trade we make to acquire a star - especially considering we'll be under the cap. I wonder if he envisions Kevin Martin as his Ray Allen, one of our young guys (possibly even Lin) as our Rondo, and he plans to add a KG and Pierce. Of course, this is being EXTREMELY literal with Boston's recipe for a championship, but I'm finding it interesting to ponder.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You thought they were dragging the Rockets through the mud in this piece? Weird. I actually read this as a "You guys think the Rockets suck, but that's because you're a bunch of r****ds that don't understand Daryl Morey's genius plan" piece.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

It's a huge roll of the dice; if Morey comes up empty, the Rockets could be in for a very grim future, and it hasn't be all that great since he has been here. It could get much worse. I am excited to see the young talent develop, but if they don't pan out, ouch.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't think DM is following any particular "model" strictly. Can never count on history to repeat itself. Garnett and Allen situations are not the same as Dwight/Bynum, etc.

Rockets simply setting themselves up to ve opportunistic. Many ways to use a collection of draft picks, cap room and young players.

9. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

I don't know if its the spin doctors bewitching me but I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about our team this year than the past two combined.

Move Morris and KMart in a deal for a promising shooting guard and we will be placed for more progress next free agency

10. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

They're just butthurt that we stole Jeremy from them.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

(from the article) Houston does indeed have a problem....

This s*** again?

12. prs325

prs325 Member

I always thought that it was Morey who was instrumental who gave the idea of trading The Celtics' lottery for RayRay and A. Jefferson for KG but it was Ainge who pulled the trigger. Then you have low draft pick rookie pg who starts alongside older vets.

I havent read the article yet but I believe its the same principle that Morey is attempting to apply in Houston. Trading a draft pick for an allstar, drafting unheralded but successful players in the low picks and trading away borderline allstar, solid, young role players for another allstar.

The one thing that the Rockets lack is a bonafide allstaron the roster like Pierce. So were practically starting from scratch.

13. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Boston isn't that good

14. bmd

bmd Member

I like the direction the Rockets are going. They are in great position to make some serious moves in the near future.

I'm actually pretty intrigued to see it all unfold in the next year.

15. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Morey has always wanted one of these top 20 type player/superstar. Look around at who you think are top 20 players, and then see how many of them you deem superstars. Then look at their respective ages. How many of them are realistic options for the Rockets via trade? The time to strike, really is now. This is what Morey set it up for. He did not acquire a lot of these non guaranteed deals just to cut them to trim down the roster to 15.

16. ClKent

ClKent Member

Not sure its so bad of a direction. Certainly seems that way to short sighted people. To organizations like say the Knicks? That direction might look bad. That team has had less success than the Rockets. So the New York media is not one to talk in terms of basketball.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's a good plan. There'll be some pain in the near term, but should pay off.

Poor Kevin Martin. Well, I guess I shouldn't pity a guy making 12 million this season. There's "poor" and then there's "poor". "Poor", as in, ain't it great being a big expiring contract on a rebuilding team?

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You sure Clyde didn't write this?

Ya think?

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

guaranteed lottery team? ok We will see