1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CF - Smeg Fantasy Footy 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Rocketball, Jul 25, 2012.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Just throwing this out there... Wouldn't it make franchise tags a lot more valuable if they allowed you to keep one of your players in the round that player was drafted, rather than automatically putting them in your 1st round slot?

I.e. I draft Peyton Hillis in the 6th round, if I franchise him I lose my 6th round pick.

I don't see why anyone would want to trade away a great player in exchange for an extra franchise tag because then you lose the opportunity to keep that player.

(I could trade say Matt Schaub and my franchise tag, for Tom Brady).

For instance, in this example, this deal would only be worth it for the original Brady owner if he already had at least 2 other players on his roster that were equal or better than Tom Brady. If I have to keep a lesser player as a result of the trade, why not just keep Brady myself? If I don't have a bunch of players equal to Brady on my roster already, I would need to get back a player that will deliver 1st or 2nd round value in order for me to consider this deal, and Matt Schaub doesn't cut the mustard in that regard.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not down on the idea at all, and don't mean to be negative. I just want to better understand how it will facilitate more trading.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Ummm, yeah. PLEASE make a waiver priority thing this year to give those of us who do not sit at a PC all day Sunday a chance to pick up players if available later in the week.

Not really a fan of a keeper league, but I'll go with whatever the group decides.

Video of the draft order would be totally RAFI!

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah a waiver system needs to happen. Priority based on draft position initially.

4. BP0803

BP0803 Member

If you need an extra person count me in. Just picked up my first fantasy magazine of the summer :cool:

5. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We will do some type of a waiver system or just open adds/drops up at a specific time each week.

6. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I agree with a waiver system as well. It was nice to pick up players when I was actually in front of a computer last year but it really does cripple you if you are not able to get on for a period of time.

Can't wait!

7. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

I am out of town for the next three weeks and my internet connections will be infrequent...that said I'm definitely in if the draft starts after 8/15.

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

If the last guy doesn't show up, can I have in? Please :)

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think the waiver wire is fair, especially if ranked in favor of the worst team overall that week or the team that drafted last, but whoop, there goes some fun on Sunday scrambling to try and pick up players at halftime.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I also like the auction system for waivers.

I just think we need something to level out the competition for FAs.

Fantasy teams are made or broken based off who they can get off the waiver wire.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Waivers is a fair system (although it does lead to gamesmanship on its own). Opening up add/drop at a certain point during the week would just push the rush to that day and wouldn't eliminate the need to be logged on at that specific moment.

I'm not sure about a keeper league for football. I'd have to see the rule before I voted yes or no. My first thought is it would make the league too unfair to those getting a low draft pick in the first season.

12. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two items to vote on:

1. Waiver wire system - Sunday-Tuesday 8PMCDT, we will use a Last-First waiver wire system, after Tuesday at 8PMCDT we will switch to open adds/drops to make any changes needed to your roster for the upcoming week.

2. Franchise Tag - you get one Franchise Tag at your disposal each season that you can use on a previous season player, however if used that will you be your pick for the round you selected that player originally (example if I picked Cam Newton in the 3rd round last season and I want to Franchise him, he is my 3rd round pick this year). Franchise Tags have to be announced prior to the draft starting.

13. Pete Chilcutt

Question about the Waiver system. When you say Last-First system do you mean draft position or by Win/Loss records?

And I like the idea of having just one Franchise Tag.

#33 Pete Chilcutt, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I am going to vote YES for the waiver system as described, and NO to the franchise tag.

But, I will still play regardless of what is decided. Looking forward to getting underway!

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I vote yea on both.

I don't really think it has a negative effect because you don't have to use it.

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I vote yes to waivers, no to the franchise tag.

I don't think it's well thought out enough. For example, Newton wasn't a 3rd rounder last year, he was a FA pickup. If someone wanted to franchise a previous year's free agent pickup, what round would he sacrifice a pick on? What about the next year? If someone franchised a 20th round pick or free agent, losing only a 20th round pick, and then wanted to keep the same player the next season, could he do that? At what cost? It seems like too much benefit to give for a lucky waiver wire young guy like Cam or Arian the year before, who then is basically a free 1st round talent for that team until his career is up.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yes waivers, really not a fan of franchise. Dude is always f'd up.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes to both is my official stance.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Yes to both. Jammatime.

20. Pete Chilcutt

I will say yes to waivers and no to franchise