1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] No extensions for Thabeet, T-Will, Flynn, Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 25, 2012.

?

Should we have extended:

1. Flynn

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Williams

43 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. Thabeet

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Hill

46 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. None

153 vote(s)
    66.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is not Morey's reputation as a meanie, it is the Rockets reputation as being cheap....

DD

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Seriously, just stop it, DD!

You honestly think the rumored Nene signing was a "PR leak"? What the hell does that even mean? PR is meant to be public, with the team out in front of the spin on the information.

Every credible news source reported that Nene's decision was down to the Rockets, Nets and Nuggets. Nene was asking for (and the Rockets had the ability to pay him) a far greater annual salary than what he ended up re-signing for with Denver. The total difference between the four-year deal the Rockets could have given him and the actual five-year deal he signed with Denver (accounting for state income tax differences) was not that material.

Could he have eventually played the Rockets to get more money from Denver? It's possible. But you asserting that it somehow was CLEARLY just some PR spin by the Rockets is ridiculous.

YOU have been around long enough to know that the people on this BBS don't take kindly to made-up garbage.

Please return to your normal (or at least occasional) higher standard of posting on this BBS. Thank you.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure what the logic of your argument is other than trying to prove that the Rockets hurt some players (that aren't that good) feelings because they are getting cut from the squad at the end of the year and its somehow going to keep free agents Past their rookie contracts from signing as a free agent here in Houston because Morey is somehow meaner then other GM's. At the end of the day, thats all its about. They are getting cut for performance.

Im no exactly sure why you think Quality future Rookie prospects will get the treatment that this current group of 09 draftees are getting and think that is in any way common to the normal way that the Rockets and every other NBA team have done business in the past when it deals with Rookie contracts.

If Steph Curry or James Harden's deals were coming up, it would be a no-brainer to extend them because their team option is much less than they would have to pay in unrestricted free agency.

-Then when it comes time to negotiate a new deal after the team option, you let them become a RFA to ensure you pay market price. This makes sense and it allows the players agent to add maximum value to your salary going forward.

If the player is educated on this process, I dont see where the issue is. Maybe players could care less to learn the business side, but again its the agents job to educate their client and explain to them the process.

Any Rookie who gets drafted by the Rockets would most likely expect to outperform their rookie contract, if they dont then thats nobody I want on the Rockets anyways.

Come to think of it, I cant think of Any Quality Rockets on their Rookie contracts that have NOT had their team options picked up.

The only difference here is that these players that didnt get picked up are no longer considered part of the future for the Rockets cause they couldn't crack the rotation. If these guys are upset its because they didn't earn a spot on the squad, not because the Rockets make the same business contractual decisions that every other halfway intelligent GM would make.

-Cant believe your making this argument when your model Owner(Cuban) just let overperforming members of his Championship Team walk in free agency without being offered multi-year deals this last year, and you think its schrewd to not pick up Thabeets team option for what... 6, 7 million dollars next year.... You must be losing it DD.

4. DaDakota

No, you stop it...lol.

Yes, I believe that Nene was never going to come to Houston and was using us as leverage.

Sorry Bima, I think Nene to Houston was made up garbage, there was no evidence of it other than mindless speculation.

DD

5. DaDakota

You are misreading my argument, I am not saying we should have picked up any of their options, I certainly would not.

I am saying that by not picking them up (the right move) it only compounds the view of the Rockets being cheap across the league (and yes I am speculating).

And topping that off by letting Courtney Lee become restricted, further reinforces it.

DD

6. DaDakota

Unless you have some proof - I mean if proof exists then by all means share it.

DD

7. Nook

Nook Member

Wow... just wow, you are off your rocker.

8. arjun

arjun Member

smh....thats ridiculous...CHEAP??? lol i think everyone knows rockets aren't cheap. We've paid cash money for 2nd round picks...we are just trying to create cap room to SPEND money next summer.

none of these 09 guys are worth jack ****...just like the value of your opinions

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is a huge difference between being cheap and clearing up cap room.

To add to that, your favorite owner Mark Cuban made a cheap move when he chose not to pay Nash the money he deserves. Nash was even reluctant to leave Dallas when that happened but he did eventually, back to Phoenix.

What happened next? Nash won MVP

Every league and owner does it. Morey so far has payed players who he thinks deserves to be payed (Lowry, Scola). They are far from cheap.

10. DaDakota

Unreal that folks can not understand the basic premise of a simple argument.

The Rockets failure to extend players like:

Lowry
    Scola
    Landry and now
    Lee

Make them look cheap....

Les has only once gone into Lux tax territory and that was barely and BTW covered by insurance monies paid by Yao's contract.

As were all those 2nd round picks that we bought, paid for by Tmac and Yao's insurance money which was pure profit added to the bottom line.

Now I know I am making a business argument, hopefully folks can get that.

DD

11. DaDakota

Please stop confusing the issue, I do NOT think they should have extended anyone.....

I do think the Rox org is viewed as cheap around the league....or frugal is that a better word for you sensitive souls?

DD

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If you were just some newbie poster on this BBS, I would not have given you the time of day for what you are posting. But since it's you, DD, a fixture of the BBS, I feel compelled to respond.

You are asking me to somehow PROVE that something that did not end up happening (due, in part, to the highly unusual circumstances of the league's conflict of interest in the Chris Paul trade) would DEFINITELY have happened under different circumstances.

Obviously, I cannot do that. No one can. It's a loaded argument that is impossible to argue against.

It's also stupid, petty and ridiculous.

Nene had options. His decision was not 100% made up. But the FACTS are that the Rockets were on his short list and that Nene waited several weeks only to take a low-ball annual salary from Denver. Those FACTS can lead most reasonable human beings to the conclusion that Nene signing with either the Rockets or the Nets was distinctly probable.

I know you are tired of those saying that Nene was 100% guaranteed to be a Rocket. If you are simply arguing against that, then fine. I agree with you. He was not 100% guaranteed to be a Rocket.

But it was highly probable that he would have been.

For you to take the argument at the absolute opposite end of the spectrum from those with whom you disagree is equally as absurd.

To use your own tactics, I could ask YOU to prove to an absolute certainty that Nene WOULD NOT have come to the Rockets had they traded for Pau, amnesty cut Thabeet and offered Nene $2-3M more per season than Denver offered?

You can't? Not surprised. But I'm not asking you to do it because I'm a rational human being.

. . . calm yourself, Bima . . .

For those that give a crap (and I'm sure many of you don't, which is fine), I was getting ready to prepare a new Rockets Salary Cap Update based on the recent moves by the Rockets (despite other commitments in my life). However, you've got me so damned ticked right now that I think I'm going to take a break from ClutchFans for a little while.

Have fun getting to post number 100,000.

6 people like this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Understand that, I just dont understand why fans, and uneducated players for that matter, view Restricted Free Agency as such A bad/mean thing, and indicates that the team is cheap or mean.

Marc Gasol, his agent, and the Memphis FO could have sat at a negotiating table for months and months saying I want 15MM a year, well we only want to give you 10MM.

This way the team can allow the players agent to seek the best available offer and get the maximum amount for his client.

With Courtney Lee, I understand his frustration because he has to wait for the Rockets to get their Ducks in a Row this Spring and Summer first, but its up to him and his agent to do their due dilligence in getting him the best available deal and performing well enough throughout the rest of the year to increase his value.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

"Nene to Houston was made up crap" -- wow. Now I have heard it all. You're just out of your mind DD. Something really ****ed up your head or you have always had this line of thinking.

And now you have caused Bima, one of our ACTUAL valued members on this bbs, to take a break from Cf.

I think I say this for everyone when I say:

**** You!

1 person likes this.
  15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Lighten up man. You're acting like a BIMA. It's not like you have any inside information. He is stating his opinion. Just like you are.

16. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

Nooooo! I love reading your Salary Cap Updates. Just put DD on your ignore list!

[​IMG]

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I didn't expect (or particularly want) the Rockets to offer extensions to any of these players. I think they are easily replaceable by minimum-salary players, D-league pickups, or second rounders, frankly.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

An opinion that riles people up and causes them to reach with hostility because of its insane stupidity. An opinion that makes most people scratch their head in shock and shake it with disgust.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Well bima, I hate to get in on the little thing you and DD,have, but the rockets do like to make up stuff. Let me give a clear example of what I know.

Amare for scola and battier. Now it was reported the rockets had this deal in the bag, but balked because amare wouldn't take a physical nor sign and extension. This is total bs and said so at the time. What really happened is prior to the trade that sent landry on his way, the suns wanted landry really bad. They thought landry could be a mini amare. The rockets had been offering scola to anyone who would listen but all the teams wanted landry because of his age and skill set. So the rockets traded landry because sacramento. Really pushed the issue. The rocket go back to the suns and offer scola and battier the suns wanted brooks and the knicks pick as well as dumping barbosa's contract. Basically the rockets were going to be taking on 23 m worth of salary and gutting their team and picks for amare who would promise to resign or pick up his option. Morey balked, but then it was reported like the rockets turned down amare for shane and scola.

Morey and the crew know how to work the p.r. mchine to its fullest. The whole nene and hayes were going to sign if the gasol dea went down is wishful thinking at best. No one knows despite the whole everey news source. The news had prince fielder going to the nationals,but he signed with detroit. Nene,from what I've heard loves Karl and denver. He has real roots there and they could've paid him more than the rockets.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think the Rox are viewed as cheap as much as efficient. Cheap is selling your picks for cash like what Sarver has done. Cheap is getting no-name coaches to save money. Buying 2nd round picks for cash is not cheap. Getting a big name like Mchale to coach the team is not cheap. Hiring old dudes like CD to work on Thabeet and Hill last year was not cheap. Hirng DM and investing on $Ball machinery is not cheap. Not sure why you keep saying ALexander is cheap. Is it because he doesn't pay the tax? LMAO if there was a direct correlation to paying the tax and winning I'm sure he'd pay up. Or would pay up, nowadays even Cuban doesn't want to pay the tax.

I do think the Rox have had a bad rap for letting the market decide FAs values rather than extending them. Its pretty heartless, I remember Landry was distraught when DM offered him a lowball contract after his amazing rookie year, but that is the correct move to make. I'd rather have the Rox seem heartless than go the Otis Smith/Memphis route and end up paying Rudy Gay and Rashard Lewis 15M a year.

P.S. If you agree not making the extensions was the correct move why bellyache about it? I don't understand what you're complaining about in your post :confused: