1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fade's Fantasy Baseball 2011 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by SamCassell, Mar 18, 2011.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Now that the draft is complete, it's time for an annual tradition... where I sit back with a beer or two and critique everyone's team. Of course, the reality is that in an 8-team league everyone is pretty much stacked, so this is just for fun. Hopefully some others will give their analysis too.

Also, don't take these too seriously. :)

The Aliens: Sam's infield is looking very strong (although I have my doubts about Furcal). Both of those Boston sluggers (A-Gonz and Youk) should do well, and I like Bautista to not drop off too much from last year... I think he'll average about 3.2 PPT instead of 3.7, but that's still very high. Assuming Bautista gets played at 3B, Sam's outfield is solid albeit unspectacular, with a few question marks after Crawford... overall, neither a strength nor a weakness. I love Tabata, though. For someone who seemed to emphasize pitching in this draft, I am slightly underwhelmed by his starters. If Wilson comes back strong, I like the bullpen a lot, and think that Street was a great value where he was taken.

Overall grade: B. Best pick: Jose Tabata @ 13.4. Worst pick: Rafael Furcal @ 8.5 Prediction: Solid team with a winning record.

Jent's Llamas: Jent has put together a solid squad, but nothing really stands out. I like A-Rod to have a powerful year, and Ryan Howard should do better than last season, but still strikes out way too much to be an upper echelon stud in this format. The outfield is a bit sketchy. I think Rios and Hart will regress a bit from last year, although Bay was a good late value. SP is a bit thin, and represents a big hole for this team. RP is also a little weak, although K-Rod is usually dependable.

Overall grade: C. Best pick: Jason Bay @ 17.1. Worse pick: Corey Hart @ 7.1. Prediction: A dangerous team at times, but not a true contender.

Rook: I thought he had one of the best teams going into last season (didn't quite work out) but unfortunately I think he's just a tad weaker this year (meaning he'll probably do better :p ). Everyone knows that Hanley and Evan are super studs, and I am a huge fan of Matt Kemp this year. I also like the rest of the outfield, and believe it will be a position of strength. He also has a nice couple of catchers. SP is a little less secure, but still pretty decent. A lot depends on how healthy and effective Greinke can be. RP has some major question marks with regards to Nathan's effectiveness after surgery, Putz's health, and whether Kimbrel gets the closer's role to himself. Morneau is the key to this team. If he can re-enter the elite tier, Rook will be very, very dangerous.

Overall grade: B. Best pick: Matt Wieters @ 16.6. Worst pick: Jonathan Sanchez @ 8.6 (not a big believer in him). Prediction: Solid team that should contend with Sam for the West title.

LTF's Contract Year: The newcomer seems to have put together a pretty decent team. The Utley trade hurt a bit, but was mitigated by a further trade. The infield is very strong (Teix and Prince are a formidable combo) with no real holes anywhere. Outfield is a bit weaker, but still decent, especially if Sizemore or Manny come back strong, in which case it will rock. I really like both the SP and RP staffs a lot, and am very high on Beckett's return to prominence this year.

Overall grade: B. Best pick: Elvis Andrus @ 16.1 (robbery!!). Worst pick: Brian Roberts @ 5.8. Prediction: Decent team that will potentially contend.

Overall West Prediction: Sam, Rook and LTF are all competitive, and finish with similar records. Jent is way behind.

Expos Forever: I won't say too much here. I think I am weaker than last year (when pretty much all my late round picks worked out) but am still pretty happy with how things worked out. Overall, I think that compared to last year my infield is more or less of the same quality, my outfield is stronger, and both my SP and RP are a bit weaker. It all depends on how my late round SPs work out.

Best pick: Nick Markakis @ 7.6. Worst pick: Brandon Morrow @ 8.3. Prediction: Competitive team, but not a runaway winner by any means.

PhiSlammaJamma: PSJ is often an unpredictable drafter, and the usual SP fetish seems to have been replaced by an OF fetish this year. Despite this, I don't think his OF is anything special, and the infield leaves a lot to be desired as well. SP, as usual most years, is quite strong, as is RP (although the lack of a 3rd reliever may come back to bite him in the butt if Bell or Rivera goes down). There are just too many old players on this team for me to get too excited... Vlad, Ortiz, Chipper Jones, Jorge Posada, Rivera... plus a couple of guys I haven't even heard of like Trout and Trumbo.

Overall grade: C. Best pick: Delmon Young @ 7.2. Worst pick: Mike Trout @ 14.7. Prediction: Losing record, but active management keeps him from being a total lost cause.

LonghornFan: After Pujols, the infield is an area of weakness for LHF. I don't have much faith in Scutaro, Weeks, Konerko, or Tejada... although, I do like Soto quite a lot. The outfield is pretty solid, I must admit, even though it lacks a true superstar. Both SP and RP looks strong, especially if Halladay goes nuts again (always a good possibility).

Overall grade: C+. Best pick: Soto @ 10.4. Worst pick: Nefalti Feliz @ 1.5 (too early). Prediction: Competitive at times, but weak infield a critical flaw.

SmeggySmeg: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Smeg has put together one of the better teams, despite repeatedly saying he had no clue what he was doing during the draft. I like his outfield better than anyone else's, and the infield is not completely terrible for someone who totally ignored the 1B position. I love Jimmy Rollins for a big bounce back year. Also, I believe Smeg has put together the overall best and most solid SP lineup in the league this year. From top to bottom, I love this rotation. RP is weak, however, with some major health concerns with regard to Bailey and Lidge.

Overall grade: A. Best pick: Shawn Marcum @ 8.2. Worst pick: Adrian Beltre @ 2.2 (not bad, just a bit early). Prediction: A true turnaround from one of the worst teams in the East to one of the best.

Overall East Prediction: Expos and the Smegs duke it out for superiority, with LonghornFan just a few games behind. PSJ finishes far back.

Of course, I'm never completely right about these things, so some of you may have the kiss of death. But it's all in good fun. :p

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Want to be pleased with your review of the teams Fade but will settle for kiss of death

In response I will say I forgot 1B was a position till very late in the piece, and for relievers they destroyed me last year, so who needs em

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Smeg, I must apologize in advance for this weeks ass kicking I am about lay upon you.

4. SmeggySmeg

no problems....I'm not predicting a good start me me anyway, i didn't help myself by not starting the right starters and relievers.....

FADE - can you cant Jose Contrerus to RP, he is listed as SP at the moment?

5. fadeaway

I will, although remember that it makes no difference whether a pitcher is listed as a SP or RP. If he starts, he gets counted as a starter, and if he enters as a reliever he gets counted as a reliever, regardless of his designation.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

All I know is I got a C in fade's last year's evaluation, and I won 31 games. So my 'B' squad must be particularly awesome.

7. LonghornFan

I received an F from Moes in Football and I went to the Super Bowl. I'm ok with this.

8. SmeggySmeg

whats happened to the score for the current match-ups?

yeah i know about the SP or RP thing, but isn't there a limit to the number of SPs you can start in anyone game period?

1 person likes this.
  9. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My team broke the scoreboard, my bad................

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Good Read Fade. Always like reading the team reviews. But I'll want you to print a retraction for my team in October.

Felix Hernandez with a complete game, ughhh.

11. SmeggySmeg

Is this the post where I accept your apology for your previous smarmy apology....... Dare I need to mention the k word :D

12. fadeaway

So it looks like I would have beaten every single team in the league this week...... EXCEPT the one team I was matched up against.

I see it's going to be one of those years. :rolleyes:

13. SmeggySmeg

Poor whittle fadey........ ;)

Toughen up princess you'll be fine and are well and truely in the mix for the title

14. SmeggySmeg

However PSJs hitting performance is rather scary :(

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Shout out to Rocketball for throwing the week to give me my first win!

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Nah, I still woulda kicked your ass. :p

17. LonghornFan

Can I get this lineup for my AAAstros of the Fade league? Last place already! Wooo! :mad:

UI-Konerko,Paul,CWS
    1B-Pujols,Albert, STL
    2B-Weeks,Rickie, MIL
    3B-Young,Michael, TEX
    SS-Tejada,Miguel,SF
    CI-Davis,Ike,NYM
    C-Soto,Geovany, CHC
    OF-Abreu,Bobby, ANA
    OF-Wells,Vernon, ANA
    OF-Victorino,Shane, PHI
    OF-Ethier,Andre, LA
    OF-Werth,Jayson, WAS
    MI-Cabrera,Orlando,CLE
    SP-Sanchez,Anibal,FLA
    SP-Halladay,Roy,PHI
    SP-Jimenez,Ubaldo,COL
    RP-Cordero,Francisco, CIN
    SP-Wilson,C.J.,TEX
    RP-Feliz,Neftali, TEX
    SP-Carpenter,Chris,STL

18. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Want to make the new guy feel good, my present for you...........my only present for you.

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Thought I had my second win of the year before Jent's team went off last night... jerks.

20. LonghornFan

Ok, so I forgot how this works again. Ubaldo was in my lineup but ended up on the DL and didn't pitch. Does this still count against my SP limit for the year?